Ben Chiarot- the real deal or product of Byfuglien?

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
So...career arc on the Jets is looking MIGHTY close to Clitsome's. ie starts out great with Buff, struggles without him. Back down to a 6/7 type role, which is where people like Garret and I had him all along. Give him credit, by rights he never should have gotten close to an NHL game, he has come a long long way, but he does not have close to enough skill to be more than a 6/7 in this league. Can easily say I'm not shocked.

Yes at this point it looks like you had this one pegged pretty well. Ben has been playing like a 6-7 guy this season which is the same as every other LHD in or org other than the tiny one who lost the Sun readers (Banjo pickers) Poll as to which Jet should be traded after last season. :help:

Yup better get rid of that old core and make room for...............for.....................oh **** it just get rid of the whipping boy Toby and we'll figure it out later. :popcorn:

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Honestly, I don't think most people saw him as more than a 6 at best, and likely a 7 on a decent playoff team.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
I dunno about that... there were some who thought Chiarot was making Buff better. :laugh:

Sure you don't mean "one"?

Aside from him, I remember a few talking potential top four but for the most part I recall people thinking it would be great if he could be better than Stu. That was my thinking.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Sure you don't mean "one"?

Aside from him, I remember a few talking potential top four but for the most part I recall people thinking it would be great if he could be better than Stu. That was my thinking.

Myself and many others were hopeful....but clearly that hasn't been the case. He's been awful.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
You can literally see him panic when he gets the puck. Doesn't have the instincts to move the puck like Enstrom. Putting him with Stuart is just asking for it too

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I had to laugh when both Chiarot and Stuart pathetically chased after the Ducks forward before messing up and allowing a goal. It showed so clearly how bad they are individually and as a pair.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
Chiarot will stay a bottom pairing/7th d-man which is very, very fine from the Point he came from. Most people didn't even saw the potential at all to be considered NHL worthy. He went hot, full of confidence and then excelled next to a great playing Buff. I actually wonder if he took his "success" too lightly and didn't work hard enough during the summer or something like that. Like switching from his #63 to #7, thinking he's a sure thing on the roster now. He did look like he was trying to do more/complicated things during the pre-season, that's where my thoughts are coming from I guess. Dunno, could be total bs of course.

You can literally see him panic when he gets the puck.

Which is so weird to me and just points out the lack of confidence in his self IMO. Moving the puck quickly without panicing by doing simple smart things used to be one of his best assets during last season.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
I think management expected/hoped Chariot would emerge as a top 4 D.

I honestly doubt that, if that is the case however then the talent evaluation on this club is even worse than many already think.

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
I had to laugh when both Chiarot and Stuart pathetically chased after the Ducks forward before messing up and allowing a goal. It showed so clearly how bad they are individually and as a pair.

Out muscled, out hustled, and out smarted that sequence told you everything you needed to know about our bottom pairing.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
he was very good n the pre-season and if you saw him before the season started, it looked like he was chiseled so I don't think he took the summer off.
When he played last year, he seemed to play a simpler, safer game.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
he was very good n the pre-season and if you saw him before the season started, it looked like he was chiseled so I don't think he took the summer off.
When he played last year, he seemed to play a simpler, safer game.

I think he thought he could be something that he is not based on his strong play in preseason and I think when the season start he found out he wasn't talented enough to play that way. As a result I think he lost confidence, got benched and has not been able to recover since. It doesn't help that he is playing his offside with Stuart. For the record I never saw him as more than a bottom pairing guy, but his play of late to the level that I was expecting.

Edit: Cases like Chariot is why I am becoming less and less interested in how players do in preseason, it really doesn't tell you much of anything with regards to how they will perform in the season.

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone
I'll own up to it. Based on his surprisingly strong season last year (from out of nowhere), plus his solid pre-season, I was expecting Chairot to be good this year. Like, decent 2nd pairing good.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I was hoping bottom 4 but thinking a really good 3LHD.
Neither of those turned out.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
He was so good in pre-season that we know he is capable of better. It appears to be a confidence thing or maybe thinking too much. Whatever, it is in his head. A very short stint in the A seems to have turned Lowry around. It might have a similar effect on Chiarot. Worth a try.

Moon Man

Oct 3, 2015
He is still young for a D. While I don't think he's a top 2 guy, he can still get better. Potential is a funny thing, some underachieve, some over, and some hit the mark. He's young enough for my jury to be still out.

Edit: I'd say he's already overachieved thus far to me. Which is good and he's still young.

Last edited:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
What is certain is that Chiarot is not up to playing RD with Stuart.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
What is certain is that Chiarot is not up to playing RD with Stuart.

Then again who really is up for playing right D with Stu :laugh:? Trouba masked the problem quite a bit for far too long but now his game warts and all is back on full display. Mark is a 6-7 NHL D man and We need to get him off the PK and down to about 10 minutes a game even strength. Most NHL teams don't have very good bottom pairings and hell Chicago won a cup rolling 4.5 D men for two rounds last season the key is to "SHELTER" him and not expose him on the PK?

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Then again who really is up for playing right D with Stu :laugh:? Trouba masked the problem quite a bit for far too long but now his game warts and all is back on full display. Mark is a 6-7 NHL D man and We need to get him off the PK and down to about 10 minutes a game even strength. Most NHL teams don't have very good bottom pairings and hell Chicago won a cup rolling 4.5 D men for two rounds last season the key is to "SHELTER" him and not expose him on the PK?

:nod:

Let him anchor the team from the bottom of the boat

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad