Rumor: Ben Bishop to Calgary

Status
Not open for further replies.

I Hate Blake Coleman

Bandwagon Burner
Jul 22, 2008
Saskatchewan
Don't like it one bit. I hope Bishop buys into the anti-Canada hype that the thinned skinned people on the mainboard have about it being a little bit cold up here and refuses to waive.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Okay, this actually sounds serious. I'll echo my earlier statement in that not a fan at all of acquiring Bishop. Will be 30 next season, is one year away from being an UFA, and isn't durable at all. And there's going to be a very significant acquisition cost.

But I guess it does depend on what exactly the cost ends up as. Would almost definitely entail the 35th plus other stuff.

Don't like it one bit. I hope Bishop buys into the anti-Canada hype that the thinned skinned people on the mainboard have about it being a little bit cold up here and refuses to waive.

Hopefully Fleury feels the same way.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I'm just incredibly nervous about the price tag. This isn't Fleury or Andersen, who have question marks, this is a Vezina finalist at the start of his prime.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
30 usually isn't the start of one's prime.

I would say for a goalie, it's right around there. Although, in fairness, Bishop has been at this level for a few years now. I guess he's in his prime, but I just think he has plenty of years left.

Anyway, Calculon hits another reason for concern in that he's got one year until UFA. That probably means if we trade for him, we'll be signing him to a long-term deal right after, probably for an overpayment on both years and dollars.

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
Bishop is an excellent goalie, and I assume Calgary won't make the trade for significant assets without getting an extension from him.

His age is less of a concern for me, as goalies can perform well much older than other players.

I would be more worried about the 6OA being in play, except the Flames can hold hard on its unavailability as I doubt anyone else is offering such a prime asset.

But the cost of a signed Bishop will hurt to some degree.

But it would certainly immediately put the Flames in playoff contention.

Last edited:

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503

“let me take you back, and i can only suspect the genesis of all of this. Last night i was doing on twitter sort of a chat about the draft, and i was asked some questions about teams and nhl moves, and things like that.

“so somebody asked me about what will calgary do now that they didn’t get freddie andersen, they were after freddie andersen from anaheim. The leafs got him and signed him. What’s their next move. And i said obviously they need a goaltender. They have talked, or they will talk, to the tampa bay lightning about ben bishop. That was it. That’s all i said. The same as they’ve talked to pittsburgh about marc-andre fleury.
“now apparently some dim bulb in tampa has started to say that ‘there’s reports out of canada that calgary has a deal in place for ben bishop,’ which, if they do, it’s news to me. I certainly didn’t say that, and i’m not aware of anybody else who did either.

“but i do believe the tampa bay lightning will listen on ben bishop, and may well be in a position at some point to trade him. Maybe not. Maybe they’ll go in a different direction. But it’s certainly one of a number of options they’d consider. Just like pittsburgh would consider a marc-andre fleury trade, and a lot of teams are going to be looking at goaltender trades, especially with an expansion draft coming up.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I was wondering if this was a case of that.

This kind of phenomenon should have a name. Source one says something. Source two then says that a source said something. Source three then says that two sources have said something. From there, a few different sources have said something. It's like artificial source amplification.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I never in my wildest dreams believed Bishop was possible... This is worrisome. Price probably is very high. Overall, exciting and scary.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

This kind of phenomenon should have a name. Source one says something. Source two then says that a source said something. Source three then says that two sources have said something. From there, a few different sources have said something. It's like artificial source amplification.

We could just start calling it the 'Bishop effect' since this is bound to happen again before we actually land a goalie :laugh:

MC Ride

Feels bad man
Feb 4, 2009
If we deal Backlund, we'll probably have the worst forward depth in the league. Nothing at all past the 3 kids.

TkachuckNotTkaczuk

Jan 21, 2015
Seattle
Not that I think Bishop is on his way here but it could be worse. The guy is arguably top 5 at his position in the league. If Calgary gets him in a decent deal. We play the season out and if we are on the outside looking in to the playoffs we would have the hottest trade bait going into the trade deadline which could land us a king's ransom! Just a thought

I Hate Blake Coleman

Bandwagon Burner
Jul 22, 2008
Saskatchewan

[Yt]CMF3zcQw27g[/MEDIA]

Kritty

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
With Treliving's short history in Calgary, nothing points to him giving up that kind of package for Bishop when there are other options out there. I just can't see Backlund being in their along with those picks and prospects but who knows.

May 27, 2012
Earth
Someone used that Grosso guy as a source on the trade board and the thread ended up locked. if you go back to May 26th, he made a tweet saying the Lightning traded Stamkos to Toronto.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Someone used that Grosso guy as a source on the trade board and the thread ended up locked. if you go back to May 26th, he made a tweet saying the Lightning traded Stamkos to Toronto.

Ah, that's good to know. Yeah, I feel like if he was an official source, he wouldn't have a name like "Rumour Break." That just screams Eklundesque quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino