Belanger comments on Twitter

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Why cherry pick one trade to make a point? It actually weakens your argument because you fail to present all the evidence (e.g., Talbot, Kassian, and Maroon trades).

Eh? Talbot, Maroon, Kassian = Chiarelli all good moves. The first big trade he made when he 1st got here was the Reinhart deal, in which he was influenced by mact and the boys.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Simply put if any of us had predicted another 29th place finish in the McDavid year with additions of Talbot, Nurse, several other new recruits and under the management of Chia and coaching of McLellan that poster would be set on fire, stuffed in a box, and probably banned for trolling.

Absolute failure? Yeah, pretty much.

Some of us were calling a last place finish not even halfway through the season. ;) Not far off were us negative ones. New teachers, same students.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
LMAO ok. A guy on pace for 51 points over last 2 years, 42nd in Pts/60 for forwards, who was a staple on the 2 best Oiler lines in the past 2 years is somehow a bad move

Im sorry but your judgement is incredibly clouded. If you cant admit MacT made any good moves, thats a major red flag. I could spend a day digging up old MacT threads where he was praised

There was a time where MacT WWE walk out Gif was used because of his stretch of good moves

I mean yes MacT made all bad moves, if you ignore all his good moves like Perron trade (x2), 2013 draft, Pouliot, Scrivens deals

Pouliot is slightly better than Purcell, he was over termed in the contact and though he does produce a medium level of points IF he is handed top linemates and tons of pp time he brings little else.

Not physical, does not drive the play, takes awful lazy penalties. Other then being able to put up some points if given guys like david to play with he doesn't being you things that win hockey games.

The Perron deal was not a success seeing as he was dumped a year after he was obtained.

2013 draft? lol That draft sucked. Nurse was a valid top 10 pick. Marco Roy? He managed to miss on some nice prospects by trading down a number of times though.

MacT left this team worse off than when he was gifted the job in the 1st place. As far as how I viewed his hiring at the time I can certainly post of few of my comments from the hiring thread.

The Perfect Human*

Some of us were calling a last place finish not even halfway through the season. ;) Not far off were us negative ones. New teachers, same students.

yup, this is why at least some of the old core must be purged. it just won't work here with all of them. I'd only maybe keep one of hall, ebs, or nuge. leaning heavily towards one of nuge or ebs. all three have significant roles on the team and has done next to nothing to help this team take a step forward.

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.
They improved their team game a bit, but it didn't result in a change in the standings. And results are all that matter at this point. 1st year for Chia and Nicholson would have to be considered an absolute failure.

An absolute failure? I think that's pretty harsh considering how much damage MacT and Eakins created and what the new regime had to work with.

It really was a build from the ground up again. New GM, New Coaching staff, limited resources due to declining trade assets and limited cap space because of MacT's anchor contracts. We all knew this would be a tough season and that this upcoming offseason would be the one where Chia makes his mark on the team.

Regardless, I firmly believe that Chia is in charge now. I do think that MacT had a strong influence at last years' draft as evidenced by the Reinhart trade but now that Chia is comfortable with the organization and city, I believe that he has full control now.
I'm resigned to Lowe having a lifetime contract in the Oiler organization but believe that Nicholson is in charge of Hockey Ops.
Again, it could be wishful thinking but I choose not to be miserable worrying about OBC problems.

it's ridiculous to say that the new management and coaching staff were an "absolute" failure given the mess they were left with that needed to be cleaned up! my hats off to Chia for not making rash decisions regarding player movement. i'd like to see us stop now with the ridiculous "trading from a position of weakness" CRAP that will continue to keep this team in the crapper for eternity. if we can't get a FAIR deal for our players we want to move, then don't make the trade! no more giving away picks at the draft and roster players. no fairness no deal and we move forward.

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.
2013 draft? lol That draft sucked. Nurse was a valid top 10 pick. Marco Roy? He managed to miss on some nice prospects by trading down a number of times though.

^no offense Beerfish but let's wait until Slepyshev and Yakimov are ready to play on the Oilers as well as for Nurse to become more well rounded offensively and defensively before we declare the 2013 draft as one that "sucked". way too early!

Chase and Betker are continuing to develop as well. and remember that Marco Roy, Jackson Houck and Kyle Platzer were all taken on the notion that they were three good 2 way players and Roy was signed to an AHL only contract, but he may be on his way to redeeming himself with an NHL contract after playing apparently well in Bakersfield this past season and Platzer will likely get a lot more time this year to show well with some of the vets moved out down there. Houck was a bust and wasn't re-signed and i didn't like the fact that MacT traded down continuously and took too many of these guys, 3 of them, while ignoring a need for RD.

when all is said and done, the Oilers may have as many as 5 or 6 of these picks in the lineup which is better than what we have done at the draft for....eternity!!

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Eh? Talbot, Maroon, Kassian = Chiarelli all good moves. The first big trade he made when he 1st got here was the Reinhart deal, in which he was influenced by mact and the boys.

So at worst they had significant influence until last summer, there was a fumble on the transition at the 2015 draft, and now Chiarelli clearly has the baton? I'll take that scenario among the possibilities.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
it's ridiculous to say that the new management and coaching staff were an "absolute" failure given the mess they were left with that needed to be cleaned up! my hats off to Chia for not making rash decisions regarding player movement. i'd like to see us stop now with the ridiculous "trading from a position of weakness" CRAP that will continue to keep this team in the crapper for eternity. if we can't get a FAIR deal for our players we want to move, then don't make the trade! no more giving away picks at the draft and roster players. no fairness no deal and we move forward.

It was an absolute failure though. I'm sure Chia and McLennan would agree. I don't know how many nights we seen McLennan pissed off beyond belief because these slackers took the night off, only to the very next game see the slackers back out their getting top line minutes again. A few players should have been benched during the season and weren't because of the name on the back of their jersey. Not going to get very far until we start holding these guys accountable. Not only for the benefit of the team but for the player as well. I dunno how many times Taylor Hall needs to be passed over by team Canada before he learns he needs to back check as fiercely as he goes in on the rush. Imagine how good of player he could be if he did that? One of the top LW's of all time I'd guess. He has so much skill and talent and its being pissed down the drain. On his current trajectory he'll be remembered like Dany Heatley, great young player who was selfish and never did enough to help his teams win.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
So at worst they had significant influence until last summer, there was a fumble on the transition at the 2015 draft, and now Chiarelli clearly has the baton? I'll take that scenario among the possibilities.

Telling you look at their management profiles on the Oilers website if you think they have no input. Thats the best hard evidence I can give you. Also lets see who's at the Oilers draft table this summer. I'd bet 100% Mr. Cup Rings and CrapT are there.

Oct 15, 2008
It's sad that someone would be willing to call out his or her fellow posters because they actually want to see if Nicholson, Chiarelli, and McLellan pursue a different approach for the organization. Instead, you advocate that we should instantly assume the status quo will persist because Lowe and MacT are on the payroll?

EIG hired Lowe. EIG gutted the development system so that players would have a lot more difficulty developing in this organization. Why let them off the hook? That being said, Katz did little to improve the situation except throw more money at problems. There remains plenty of blame to go around this past decade.

Belanger needs to provide specific examples before I start believing half of what he says is not him trying to overcome his cognitive dissonance. The Oilers clearly have deep-rooted issues and yet Belanger has yet to prove himself as a reliable narrator because he appears to want to remove himself from all blame.

Specific examples? EIG's fault?

Holy cow.

Daryl Katz refuses to get rid of the REAL problems. Perhaps it is himself that is the real problem. I don't think its hyperbole to state that this team never sees success with him owning the team and calling the shots. Daryl Katz makes Peter Pocklington look like Santa Claus.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

Holy cow.

Daryl Katz refuses to get rid of the REAL problems. Perhaps it is himself that is the real problem. I don't think its hyperbole to state that this team never sees success with him owning the team and calling the shots. Daryl Katz makes Peter Pocklington look like Santa Claus.

If Katz sells off McDavid for peanuts then we can agree.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL

Holy cow.

Everyone blames Lowe and for good reason. I agree that he has been the one solid constant that has drug down the franchise for a decade. Nonetheless, who hired him and why did they do so? It is well documented that Sather left because of a growing rift between him and the revamped EIG leadership group along with a salary dispute. Lowe was then promoted from coach for no reason other than of his contributions as a player and he came really cheap. Perhaps Cal Nichols was the original enabler of the OBC, hoping that keeping a connection to the Boys on the Bus would publicly lessen the sting of losing Sather. EIG also gutted the organizations prospect development program by not wanting to pay for a dedicated AHL franchise. We have paid for that decision dearly.

Katz stepped in and at least added money to the equation; however, he doubled-down on OBC connections of Lowe and MacT and erred giving them too much rope after the 2006 miracle SCF run. Plenty of blame to go around this past decade, and yet let's not foist this solely on Katz. He promoted Lowe out of the hockey group, which is the way past NHL pariahs have been removed (e.g., Clarke, Pulford).

Yes, I want evidence of what Belanger is taking about when he makes these vague claims that he tried to be a leader. I interview plenty of candidates who claim they are hard workers. In fact, almost everyone claims this at some point. The difference being that the real hard-workers can always cite numerous, tangible examples of how they have worked hard in the past. If Belanger's yearly Twitter rant is any indication, he will have a difficult time expanding his argument beyond appealing to his authority.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
So how many respected hockey people have called out the Edmonton organization now? Nick Schultz, Tom Renney, Barry Trotz, Eric Belanger, Ladislav Smid, Sheldon Souray, Chis Pronger, MIke Comrie. Am I missing anyone? And yet we still have the Beavis and Butt-Head here and employed making management decisions. Absolutely pathetic how many of you have been fooled by the Chia and Nicholson hire.

Off the top of my head I'll add Ron Hextall to the list as well.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
First of all, if you think the team regressed last season, [MOD]
Secondly, I don't like the fact that MacT is still involved in decision making but I see no evidence that he's the primary decision maker and I'll choose to believe that until proven otherwise. I also choose to believe that Lowe isn't involved in the hockey side of things but that could also be wishful thinking on my part.

These guys have always operated under a shroud of secrecy. We don't know for certainty who is doing what. What leaves me concerned about Lowe's involvement on the hockey side was Nicholson, when asked at Chiarelli's hiring presser, actually saying that Lowe was still going to be involved in hockey operations. Those words were said in public for everyone to hear. Not sure after that why some people are insisting he's working on the business side only.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
^no offense Beerfish but let's wait until Slepyshev and Yakimov are ready to play on the Oilers as well as for Nurse to become more well rounded offensively and defensively before we declare the 2013 draft as one that "sucked". way too early!

Chase and Betker are continuing to develop as well. and remember that Marco Roy, Jackson Houck and Kyle Platzer were all taken on the notion that they were three good 2 way players and Roy was signed to an AHL only contract, but he may be on his way to redeeming himself with an NHL contract after playing apparently well in Bakersfield this past season and Platzer will likely get a lot more time this year to show well with some of the vets moved out down there. Houck was a bust and wasn't re-signed and i didn't like the fact that MacT traded down continuously and took too many of these guys, 3 of them, while ignoring a need for RD.

when all is said and done, the Oilers may have as many as 5 or 6 of these picks in the lineup which is better than what we have done at the draft for....eternity!!

I'm prepared to say right now that Nurse is the only guy of that draft that will make any impact for this team and that includes the two russians you mentioned. Both will kick around in the minors for a year or two and then go back home.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007

Yup I'm prepared to say that and if Chiarelli listens to one thing these guys say he is not the GM we had hoped. Chia has had his mulligan' let evaluate year. He has to make significant changes to the team and they have to be a LOT better next year or he's the same old same old.

Hey, both he and the coach will be here for a long time but you don't get to totally start anew with each regime change.

If he does take major input from the guys still here that should have been punted expect more awful moves.

Oct 15, 2008
Everyone blames Lowe and for good reason. I agree that he has been the one solid constant that has drug down the franchise for a decade. Nonetheless, who hired him and why did they do so? It is well documented that Sather left because of a growing rift between him and the revamped EIG leadership group along with a salary dispute. Lowe was then promoted from coach for no reason other than of his contributions as a player and he came really cheap. Perhaps Cal Nichols was the original enabler of the OBC, hoping that keeping a connection to the Boys on the Bus would publicly lessen the sting of losing Sather. EIG also gutted the organizations prospect development program by not wanting to pay for a dedicated AHL franchise. We have paid for that decision dearly.

Katz stepped in and at least added money to the equation; however, he doubled-down on OBC connections of Lowe and MacT and erred giving them too much rope after the 2006 miracle SCF run. Plenty of blame to go around this past decade, and yet let's not foist this solely on Katz. He promoted Lowe out of the hockey group, which is the way past NHL pariahs have been removed (e.g., Clarke, Pulford).

Yes, I want evidence of what Belanger is taking about when he makes these vague claims that he tried to be a leader. I interview plenty of candidates who claim they are hard workers. In fact, almost everyone claims this at some point. The difference being that the real hard-workers can always cite numerous, tangible examples of how they have worked hard in the past. If Belanger's yearly Twitter rant is any indication, he will have a difficult time expanding his argument beyond appealing to his authority.

EIG sold the team the year after the team went to game 7 of the cup final.

The team hasn't played even one playoff game in TEN YEARS! And yet Daryl STILL has Lowe and Mact on the payroll. You can't put enough lipstick on that pig.

Jul 16, 2013
Edmonton
Don't know why players let themselves get baited in to twitter "conversations".

Not sure why Belanger even went out to post this, was he drunk and feeling sentimental? Looks similar to my posts past 2am. Furthermore, what the hell is wrong with people? Reading twitter responses where fans are just straight taking cheap shots or hateful. Keep it classy everyone.

Last edited:

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
EIG sold the team the year after the team went to game 7 of the cup final.

The team hasn't played even one playoff game in TEN YEARS! And yet Daryl STILL has Lowe and Mact on the payroll. You can't put enough lipstick on that pig.

The errors of the EIG and Katz as owners are mutually exclusive. I agree Katz gave Lowe and friends way too much rope. At the same time, the lack of an AHL team and proper development system damaged this franchise significantly and was a major reason why the Oilers pipeline was bare for numerous seasons during the decade of futility.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Don't know why players let themselves get baited in to twitter "conversations".

Not sure why Belanger even went out to post this, was he drunk and feeling sentimental? Looks similar to my posts past 2am. Furthermore, what the hell is wrong with people? Reading twitter responses where fans are just straight taking cheap shots or hateful. Keep it classy everyone.

Agreed with this all round. Belanger biting on this was odd. But the fans taking potshots at him was the typical trolling. Asshattery all round in those tweets.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Agreed with this all round. Belanger biting on this was odd. But the fans taking potshots at him was the typical trolling. Asshattery all round in those tweets.

I kind of agree with the asshattery.

I wouldn't necessarily troll him myself but players need to take some responsibility. It's like when Kesler was calling for a coach to make better adjustments on the fly instead of making adjustments in the intermission. As if that is some sort of issue. I understand it could give you a tactical advantage but if you couldn't execute the intermission adjustments well enough then what makes you think anything will change with a new coach?

Anyways, the OBC and YBC is well documented.....not sure how Belanger really fit into any of it. I liked the signing when it happened.....I was disappointed with the result.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad