Belanger comments on Twitter

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Anyone slamming the Reinhart deal and praising the Gudbranson one are out of their minds.

Look at how the Penguins are abusing Polak.

Gudbanson would have been a far better and likely cheaper to acquire Target than reinhart. RHD who has actually played in the league who actually has some grit.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
First of all, if you think the team regressed last season, [MOD]
Secondly, I don't like the fact that MacT is still involved in decision making but I see no evidence that he's the primary decision maker and I'll choose to believe that until proven otherwise. I also choose to believe that Lowe isn't involved in the hockey side of things but that could also be wishful thinking on my part.

They improved their team game a bit, but it didn't result in a change in the standings. And results are all that matter at this point. 1st year for Chia and Nicholson would have to be considered an absolute failure.

Last edited by a moderator:

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Look at how the Penguins are abusing Polak.

you mean the Polak that brought what he was supposed to in these playoffs and contributed to the Sharks getting to the final? Polak was specifically brought in to redress size, physicality balance while playing WC rounds. Sharks have already won that gambit. They're on house money now and getting to the SC final has been a success in the very tough WC.

Last edited by a moderator:

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
The moment the Oilers made that god awful trade last year was 100% a clear indication that the clowns still had big input. Remember when Lowe 1st stepped down as GM and people sore up down and sideways that eh had nothing to do with the hockey side anymore? LOL About 6 or 7 years later and he is still there.

I think the Reinhart trade was a Bob Green move....he's been in love with him since he drafted him with the Oil Kings

Chia took some bad advice but he was new at the time

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Gudbanson would have been a far better and likely cheaper to acquire Target than reinhart. RHD who has actually played in the league who actually has some grit.

And is an immobile pylon. I bet Johnny Gaudreau is just salivating.

The era of the defensive defenseman is ending. Florida was smart to get rid of him. If you can't move the puck you're worthless.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
you mean the Polak that brought what he was supposed to in these playoffs and contributed to the Sharks getting to the final? Polak was specifically brought in to redress size, physicality balance while playing WC rounds. Sharks have already won that gambit. They're on house money now and getting to the SC final has been a success in the very tough WC.

Polak's underlying numbers would make Smid blush. They're getting hemmed in at every shift. The Sharks have a very strong top 4 but their 3rd pairing is Oilers tier and the Penguins are smartly exploiting it.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
If that's the case I would like Chiarelli to be fired as soon as possible, won't happen but MacT was a massive disaster in almost all ways. Even his quoted 'good moves' suck. Aka Pouliot.

LMAO ok. A guy on pace for 51 points over last 2 years, 42nd in Pts/60 for forwards, who was a staple on the 2 best Oiler lines in the past 2 years is somehow a bad move

Im sorry but your judgement is incredibly clouded. If you cant admit MacT made any good moves, thats a major red flag. I could spend a day digging up old MacT threads where he was praised

There was a time where MacT WWE walk out Gif was used because of his stretch of good moves

I mean yes MacT made all bad moves, if you ignore all his good moves like Perron trade (x2), 2013 draft, Pouliot, Scrivens deals

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Our defense is the worst in the league. Our goaltending is suspect at best. Our forwards can't score for ****.

What else is there?

We could accrue the entire pens D and they would suck here. Because its OK to suck here and theres no need to do anything else. Checks still paid, expectations mia etc.

Basically every D we've ever recruited here after Pronger has grossly underperformed relative to what expectations and prior play were.

lol try to name one D that played better here.:amazed:

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Yeah I'd rather put my faith in Lowe, MacT and the clown fest that has driven this team into being the worst franchise in pro sports over the last decade instead of a variety of ex players with no real stake in making these comments if they were not true.

Why cherry pick one trade to make a point? It actually weakens your argument because you fail to present all the evidence (e.g., Talbot, Kassian, and Maroon trades).

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Certainly MacT/Lowe had a hand in that but at some point the players have to look in the mirror.

No excuse to finish behind the ****ing Coyotes. Hell, no excuse to get swept by them again.

The players suck and if you think otherwise you haven't been watching closely enough.

And again I say who's fault is it that we don't have good enough players? Who's fault is it that we have missed the playoffs for 10 straight years with no end in sight? If we don't make the playoffs this year we'll have the longest playoff drought in league history. An absolute disgrace that the people who contributed to that are still in this organization.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
They improved their team game a bit, but it didn't result in a change in the standings. And results are all that matter at this point. 1st year for Chia and Nicholson would have to be considered an absolute failure.

An absolute failure? I think that's pretty harsh considering how much damage MacT and Eakins created and what the new regime had to work with.

It really was a build from the ground up again. New GM, New Coaching staff, limited resources due to declining trade assets and limited cap space because of MacT's anchor contracts. We all knew this would be a tough season and that this upcoming offseason would be the one where Chia makes his mark on the team.

Regardless, I firmly believe that Chia is in charge now. I do think that MacT had a strong influence at last years' draft as evidenced by the Reinhart trade but now that Chia is comfortable with the organization and city, I believe that he has full control now.
I'm resigned to Lowe having a lifetime contract in the Oiler organization but believe that Nicholson is in charge of Hockey Ops.
Again, it could be wishful thinking but I choose not to be miserable worrying about OBC problems.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
and the Canucks gave up an NHL centre to acquire him...along with a 2nd rounder

Oilers gave up "maybes"

That and I'd take Reinhart over Gudbranson any day. Reinhart at least has potential still. Gudbranson is almost at his best in potential, which is not saying much. Gudbranson is a cheap no-name brand band-aid solution that only works for a day or two while Reinhart is the popular brand band-aid solution that lasts a long time.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
We could accrue the entire pens D and they would suck here. Because its OK to suck here and theres no need to do anything else. Checks still paid, expectations mia etc.

Basically every D we've ever recruited here after Pronger has grossly underperformed relative to what expectations and prior play were.

lol try to name one D that played better here.:amazed:

I can't even remember all the no-names we've gone through. Look at this year's healthy D:

Sekera - Klefbom
Davidson - Nurse
A bunch of rejects, trash and AHLers.

There's maybe 1 legit top 4 defender there.

I can't think of many good players that have come through Edmonton. The players have sucked for years.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I swear even if Lowe was fired from Oilers and exiled from the City of Edmonton fans would throw a fit because Lowe was in an airplane which crossed over Edmonton airspace so therefore it proved he was still controlling Oilers and making all decisions

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
That and I'd take Reinhart over Gudbranson any day. Reinhart at least has potential still. Gudbranson is almost at his best in potential, which is not saying much. Gudbranson is a cheap no-name brand band-aid solution that only works for a day or two while Reinhart is the popular brand band-aid solution that lasts a long time.

Gudbranson is likely Reinhart's max upside so I'll kindly state that I disagree with your take on the two players.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
And again I say who's fault is it that we don't have good enough players? Who's fault is it that we have missed the playoffs for 10 straight years with no end in sight? If we don't make the playoffs this year we'll have the longest playoff drought in league history. An absolute disgrace that the people who contributed to that are still in this organization.

Look at that Coyotes team. They're a joke. Yet they still played every game hard (I attended the Caps/Coyotes game and that was where I started to have worries about the Caps)

The players don't suck because they're not good enough. They suck because they don't try. No excuse to be fighting with the Maple Leafs for last place, but they gave up in many games this year. Again. It doesn't matter if Lowe is there or not. If the players don't try what can you do?

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
An absolute failure? I think that's pretty harsh considering how much damage MacT and Eakins created and what the new regime had to work with.

It really was a build from the ground up again. New GM, New Coaching staff, limited resources due to declining trade assets and limited cap space because of MacT's anchor contracts. We all knew this would be a tough season and that this upcoming offseason would be the one where Chia makes his mark on the team.

Regardless, I firmly believe that Chia is in charge now. I do think that MacT had a strong influence at last years' draft as evidenced by the Reinhart trade but now that Chia is comfortable with the organization and city, I believe that he has full control now.
I'm resigned to Lowe having a lifetime contract in the Oiler organization but believe that Nicholson is in charge of Hockey Ops.
Again, it could be wishful thinking but I choose not to be miserable worrying about OBC problems.

Finishing 2nd last in the league and only being better then a team that intentionally tanked has to be considered an absolute failure. I think both Chia and McLennan would say they weren't happy with this season.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Finishing 2nd last in the league and only being better then a team that intentionally tanked has to be considered an absolute failure. I think both Chia and McLennan would say they weren't happy with this season.

They shouldn't be happy with the season nor should any of us but to me, a 43 goal improvement from the previous season and a better compete level in general along with more structure are some things to build on. Obviously much bigger improvements need to be made but I feel that the tide is slowly turning. It's a start

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Look at that Coyotes team. They're a joke. Yet they still played every game hard (I attended the Caps/Coyotes game and that was where I started to have worries about the Caps)

The players don't suck because they're not good enough. They suck because they don't try. No excuse to be fighting with the Maple Leafs for last place, but they gave up in many games this year. Again. It doesn't matter if Lowe is there or not. If the players don't try what can you do?

Well when your players don't try, it's pretty easy to see there's a lack of accountability. Something that has plagued the Oilers for years. And yet the same management that allowed the complacency and lack of accountability are still here. The golden boys know they're untouchable while CrapT and Lowe are still here.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Well when your players don't try, it's pretty easy to see there's a lack of accountability. Something that has plagued the Oilers for years. And yet the same management that allowed the complacency and lack of accountability are still here. The golden boys know they're untouchable while CrapT and Lowe are still here.

Then clear the whole house. Start anew with McDavid.

When Jordan Eberle is your best goal scorer you have a lot of problems.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Then clear the whole house. Start anew with McDavid.

When Jordan Eberle is your best goal scorer you have a lot of problems.

I'd be fine with that. Said during the season I'd be fine moving two of RNH Eberle and Hall. I'd prefer to move Hall and RNH because of all the great things Ive heard about Ebs through the grapevine so to speak.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
And is an immobile pylon. I bet Johnny Gaudreau is just salivating.

The era of the defensive defenseman is ending. Florida was smart to get rid of him. If you can't move the puck you're worthless.

Still better than Reinhart who is all you say and is left handed and has no toughness.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

Simply put if any of us had predicted another 29th place finish in the McDavid year with additions of Talbot, Nurse, several other new recruits and under the management of Chia and coaching of McLellan that poster would be set on fire, stuffed in a box, and probably banned for trolling.

Absolute failure? Yeah, pretty much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad