OT: Being approached by random people for "opportunities"

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Same thing happened to my brother, he got scared and sent those clowns $400 or something. Dont do it lol.

And if you see old people at the supermarket buying loads of giftcards, should ask them why they're doing it. Really sad stories of older folks getting strung along by these clowns and losing all their money buying gift cards and that type of thing.

Reactions: Oilers Propagandist

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Need to find a way to get the pyramid scam people to talk to all the Jehovah's witnesses who keep talking to me at transit stations, or that one dude on a bus who tried to get me to read his Quran. They can all keep each other busy and leave me the hell alone.

samiam

Oct 4, 2010
Not all of them are scams however.
Companies like Amway, Avon, Tupperware, & Cutco all thrive on this pyramid/multi-level marketing approach.

I know several people that have been involved in some of the above as their sole full-time employment, and have made a very comfortable living for 20+ yrs.

Reactions: yukoner88

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
Thanks for the replies, guys. I can't wait to start approaching strangers with all of the info that you've all provided me with ;)

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Anybody else getting the "you're in tax trouble" calls? Same scam they ran last year. :shakehead
About three weeks ago.

Left me a message to call him back. Said he was officer so and so but didn’t say with with what agency. Either me or my attorney needed to call him ASAP or basically my world would come crashing down if I ignored the call. Never said what it was about or even asked for me by name. It sounded like he had an Indian accent but it was a Kitchener, Ontario number so I wasn’t sure if I should take it seriously or not. Googled the number to be safe and saw many had received the same recorded call that day. The ones that called it said it was the fake tax call.

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
About three weeks ago.

Left me a message to call him back. Said he was officer so and so but didn’t say with with what agency. Either me or my attorney needed to call him ASAP or basically my world would come crashing down if I ignored the call. Never said what it was about or even asked for me by name. It sounded like he had an Indian accent but it was a Kitchener, Ontario number so I wasn’t sure if I should take it seriously or not. Googled the number to be safe and saw many had received the same recorded call that day. The ones that called it said it was the fake tax call.
I'm kind of surprised the scammers didn't get nailed last time. There must be some banking/financial trail to follow, the money is going into somebodies pocket eventually.

Alowlyoilersfan

Sep 28, 2017
"if it is too good to be true..."

unless you are cool with screwing over friends, family, and strangers.

to each their own

edit: some may be legit, but if you wanna be your own boss find your own opportunities

Last edited:

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Greetings @Blue line Howie ,

I am a Nigerian prince who is in need of your help to unlock all of my millions of dollars currently locked away in The Super Secret National Super Bank of Super Nigieria. All I need from you is to send me $10,000 and a hold for the bank so I can withdraw all of mah moneyz. For your help I will take you portion of $10,000,000 and invest it into the Catalan National Lottery, which promises to double your investment in 2 weeks.

Sincerly,
Super Prince of Nigeria Prince Prince
Didn't they find like 50mil hidden a year ago from a Nigerian prince?

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
In the past two months, I've been approached by random people on four separate occasions at the gym, grocery shopping, and even once when I was jogging. They all have been very nice and have asked if I was tired of working for someone else and wanted to be my own boss. All of them have mentioned that they were friends with multi- millionaires who have opened their eyes to endless opportunities. Ultimately, they want to sit down and have a coffee to discuss something further, but I've never followed up with them. I guess I'm naive, but what is happening here?

I usually just buy them a sandwich and give them a couple bucks, and then they take their shopping cart and backpack and walk away and look for someone else.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
probably WFG....that cult has grown, and is ever expanding.
they'll start with telling you about the cash flow quadrant, and the rule of 72.

I have an acquaintance who I didn't talk to forever call me out of the blue wanting me to come see her open house at WFG. Being a nice person, I agreed to it and I regret doing so. They were trying so hard to get me to join their organization and she wouldn't stop bugging me about it even after I told her NO Thanks. It was pretty annoying and I finally had to tell her to stop calling me. They're like hounds over there at WFG.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
In the past two months, I've been approached by random people on four separate occasions at the gym, grocery shopping, and even once when I was jogging. They all have been very nice and have asked if I was tired of working for someone else and wanted to be my own boss. All of them have mentioned that they were friends with multi- millionaires who have opened their eyes to endless opportunities. Ultimately, they want to sit down and have a coffee to discuss something further, but I've never followed up with them. I guess I'm naive, but what is happening here?

My wife and I had this exact spiel from a guy while at a playhouse place with my daughter. Out of curiosity we decided to follow up with a coffee and see what this was all about. Him and his wife did another spiel and asked us to read a book about a entrepreneur and how to have the right mindset to make money. Both the book and the talk offered no real information on how you actually can make money besides taking large risks and hoping for the best...

Needless to say we did not pursue further talks and they only hinted at how they actually made money. It sounded like a buy and sell products thing, which may actually have some substance to it but the people were just far too cryptic and the book especially seems like a primer for being set up for significant losses in an attempt to get rich.

Looking at the Amway site after people mentioned it here and I am pretty sure it was something like this.

Last edited:

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Anybody else getting the "you're in tax trouble" calls? Same scam they ran last year. :shakehead

Yeah...I threw up a little warning a bit ago in the OT thread. I didn't know where to post it otherwise.

Reminder to people that the scammers are out and about now. Just got a call from one saying Revenue Canada's going to charge me with fraud and have to call them. I'm sure noone here is that gullible, but putting it out there for posters with older relatives that aren't as cognizant of this type of activity. Number was 1 613 800 7470

@Blue line Howie...if you have a little extra time just f*** with em for a while. It's a lot of fun. Otherwise do not waste your time. I just call it Amway crap....whatever it is.

@ Aerchon.....Sounds like Amway. My Brothers friend got him into it in the 90's. Me, my wife (not at the time), and another buddy went to a big meeting with them to bust some balls because a big wig was there. Some of the folks there were rather displeased with us....haaha They even approached me with the book thing at my place of employment while I was working (Smithbooks) back then. :amazed::loony::shakehead

A "Cult" is exactly what these groups are. I consider them dangerous. They can make you lose friends and even family very quickly.

Last edited:
Reactions: bukwas

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Anyone on here interested in selling some home-made bottled water that will cure everything from itching to stuttering?

Some great opportunities here, and the chance to become a billionaire in under 6 months.

Last edited:

YakDavid

Dec 12, 2010
If you send me money and i will take it to a special place and increase it 35 fold.

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
My wife and I had this exact spiel from a guy while at a playhouse place with my daughter. Out of curiosity we decided to follow up with a coffee and see what this was all about. Him and his wife did another spiel and asked us to read a book about a entrepreneur and how to have the right mindset to make money. Both the book and the talk offered no real information on how you actually can make money besides taking large risks and hoping for the best...

Needless to say we did not pursue further talks and they only hinted at how they actually made money. It sounded like a buy and sell products thing, which may actually have some substance to it but the people were just far too cryptic and the book especially seems like a primer for being set up for significant losses in an attempt to get rich.

Looking at the Amway site after people mentioned it here and I am pretty sure it was something like this.

Yeah, I forgot to mention that a certain book was mentioned in passing by one of the "entrepreneurs." The whole thing seems cult-like and I feel for anyone that has lost time and money by becoming entangled in this web

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Yes, one of them left me a voicemail and momentarily lost where he was on the script he was reading. My favourite part of the scam is when they tell you, "if you don't respond to this call, all I can do is wish you good luck."

The Head Crusher

Re-retired
Jan 3, 2008
Edmonton
My favorite is when they call claiming to be from Windows saying that they have detected a virus on our PC and they wanted to access our computer. I proceeded to drill him on questions about which computer and this and that before telling him we were an Apple family. The confused and horrified sounds he was making before he hung up was hilarious.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
I usually sit down and listen what they have to say in a very professional manner. I tell them i have decided i will sign the papers and am ready for the opportunity but need to talk it over with the wife. I tell them to meet me in the back alley intersection between 118th and 90th street, there is a nice quiet park near by there for us to finish the transaction, i tell them to come alone at 10 pm. I am disappointed they are not interested in doing business, i am a hard worker and will do whats needed to make them money, i wonder why they decided to stand me up.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
I've never gotten the "you owe X amount in taxes or you go to jail" scam but I'd love it if they called

I'd try and string them for as long as possible

nor I. But I did get the call from someone with a strong accent telling me that there was a problem with my apple product as there was a breach, and they could fix it for me remotely.

what made that one fun for me is that I own no apple products.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad