OT: Being approached by random people for "opportunities"

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
In the past two months, I've been approached by random people on four separate occasions at the gym, grocery shopping, and even once when I was jogging. They all have been very nice and have asked if I was tired of working for someone else and wanted to be my own boss. All of them have mentioned that they were friends with multi- millionaires who have opened their eyes to endless opportunities. Ultimately, they want to sit down and have a coffee to discuss something further, but I've never followed up with them. I guess I'm naive, but what is happening here?

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
STRANGER DANGER!!!!!!!!

StrangerDanger.jpg

Reactions: Stud Muffin

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
run like heck. it's MLM.
unless you're high up in the scam, you're only going to lose money and have your friends and family hate you.
please spend some time on google and be aware.

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
run like heck. it's MLM.
unless you're high up in the scam, you're only going to lose money and have your friends and family hate you.
please spend some time on google and be aware.
Do they always target people whom they think would be susceptible? I've always been by myself and somewhat disheveled in appearance every time that I've been approached

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Do they always target people whom they think would be susceptible? I've always been by myself and somewhat disheveled in appearance every time that I've been approached

those are the people the go for

if you are booted and suited in a half decent suit--they would not approach you

they see disheveled as meaning "dumb and desperate"

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
probably WFG....that cult has grown, and is ever expanding.
they'll start with telling you about the cash flow quadrant, and the rule of 72.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
That's a pretty standard opener for getting people into Scamway. I mean Amway.

Nothing illegal about it, but it's pretty bad. Whenever you make the most money by having distributors 'work' for you there is something wrong with the system.

Reactions: Dorian2

The Head Crusher

Re-retired
Jan 3, 2008
Edmonton
Greetings @Blue line Howie ,

I am a Nigerian prince who is in need of your help to unlock all of my millions of dollars currently locked away in The Super Secret National Super Bank of Super Nigieria. All I need from you is to send me $10,000 and a hold for the bank so I can withdraw all of mah moneyz. For your help I will take you portion of $10,000,000 and invest it into the Catalan National Lottery, which promises to double your investment in 2 weeks.

Sincerly,
Super Prince of Nigeria Prince Prince

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Greetings @Blue line Howie ,

I am a Nigerian prince who is in need of your help to unlock all of my millions of dollars currently locked away in The Super Secret National Super Bank of Super Nigieria. All I need from you is to send me $10,000 and a hold for the bank so I can withdraw all of mah moneyz. For your help I will take you portion of $10,000,000 and invest it into the Catalan National Lottery, which promises to double your investment in 2 weeks.

Sincerly,
Super Prince of Nigeria Prince Prince
This one has been around so long that the first time I heard of it was from a letter sent by the Nigerian prince to me via snail mail. It looked so official. I was so disappointed that I didn’t have the money to help him get his cash.

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
I'm wondering why the frequency of people approaching others with this scheme increased exponentially recently, as well.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
I'm wondering why the frequency of people approaching others with this scheme increased exponentially recently, as well.

I think many of these people have run out of friends and family to harass that they're getting desperate, so need to approach strangers.

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
I was cornered by a nervous, balding man outside of Rogers who offered me four million dollars for four years to not do anything. I told Chiarelli that it was late and he should stop drinking and go home to his family.

Reactions: Bretzky and Yablo21

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
Anybody else getting the "you're in tax trouble" calls? Same scam they ran last year. :shakehead

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Anybody else getting the "you're in tax trouble" calls? Same scam they ran last year. :shakehead

Have they improved it at all? I kept getting them last year, but it was a guy that was really not good at speaking english. Was not at all convincing and barely understandable, although, I did catch the parts that suggested authorities were about to come to my house.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad