OT: Beer chat

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
I'm not a frozen mug guy and I'm too poor to have a garage (although my pop's garage beer in our old fridge always hit really nice).

Right now I got one of those foam coolers you can get at the dollar store and will fill it with ice on Saturday morning if I know I'm going to be doing some landscaping in the hot sun. It's not the best because it's doesn't keep heat in like a real cooler but it gets the job done.

If you can get a legit insulated cooler like a knock off Yeti I'd say try that...
I have a garage but my car takes up most of the room. Plus when I was drinking I didn't want the inconvenience of taking extra steps so I just loaded up my kitchen fridge and made room for the food as a secondary nuisance:)

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I have a garage but my car takes up most of the room. Plus when I was drinking I didn't want the inconvenience of taking extra steps so I just loaded up my kitchen fridge and made room for the food as a secondary nuisance:)
I like the idea of a garage because if you can fit a work bench in there and some speakers it would be a good spot to hang out and crush a few before/after dinner whilst scrolling through the internet on an iPad or something with some tunes bumping.

Reactions: Mike C

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
Always liked the frosty mug, not totally frozen or the beer would be too cold. Cooler beer a solid 2nd for me but never turned down ANY beer if I'm being honest!

Nowadays I go for the Manhattan Special in a tall cup of ice. Heading out to the Italian Cafe for one now!
When I think of frosted beer mugs I think of Lums hot dogs on Jericho turnpike - about 1000 years ago

Reactions: Mike C

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
These last few posts are depressing... beer is so f***ing expensive in my province with our state-run monopoly booze operation...

For example:
- I bought 12 bottles of Corona on Saturday $32.49 CAD.
- My current favourite summer sipping beer, Pilsner Urquell, is $4.29 for a 16oz can...
- My current favourite local beer, a nice pilsner, is $4.85 for a 16oz can...

Even shitty Bud Light costs $27.50 for 12 12oz cans...

:surrender
That's brutal.

I had one good thing come out of the pandemic. An excellent local brewery, Great Lakes, started delivering locally. Free for orders over $50, and 24 473ml (16oz) cans cost $54, or $2.25 each, while they were $3 in the stores.

For comparison, the same amount of crap like Molson Export is $58.

Do they still make Propeller? Haven't been down there in several years, but I thought a couple of theirs were more than decent.

Last edited:

JKP

Sep 19, 2004
Halifax, NS
That's brutal.

I had one good thing come out of the pandemic. An excellent local brewery, Great Lakes, started delivering locally. Free for orders over $50, and 24 473ml (16oz) cans cost $54, or $2.25 each, while they were $3 in the stores.

For comparison, the same amount of crap like Molson Export is $58.

Do they still make Propeller? Haven't been down there in several years, but I thought a couple of theirs were more than decent.
Yes, Propeller is still a going concern. Propeller and Garrison are the "big" local craft breweries and there are now probably a couple dozen or so more, many with pretty interesting brews. It's a good time to like beer!

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Yes, Propeller is still a going concern. Propeller and Garrison are the "big" local craft breweries and there are now probably a couple dozen or so more, many with pretty interesting brews. It's a good time to like beer!
I don't remember Garrison.

I just looked up Propeller, and they have a boatload (sorry) of different beers. When I was in Country Harbour a dozen years ago, I think they had about four.

JKP

Sep 19, 2004
Halifax, NS

I just looked up Propeller, and they have a boatload (sorry) of different beers. When I was in Country Harbour a dozen years ago, I think they had about four.
Yeah. Like everywhere, craft beer has exploded in popularity here. If you make it back this way, let me know and I'll help guide you to some beers. ;)

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018

Yeah. Like everywhere, craft beer has exploded in popularity here. If you make it back this way, let me know and I'll help guide you to some beers. ;)
Thanks. I'll probably be down eventually, as the in-laws are from there.

Reactions: JKP

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
Garrison in NH? I'm a fan.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad