OT: Beer chat

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Bumped to point out that in these inflationary/recessionary times I enjoyed a 16.9 oz can of DAB last night which, based on what I paid for the case, came in at just under $1. Any other value propositions out there?

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Bumped to point out that in these inflationary/recessionary times I enjoyed a 16.9 oz can of DAB last night which, based on what I paid for the case, came in at just under $1. Any other value propositions out there?
A six pack of 16 oz Narragansett cans can be found for 6.49 + tax/deposit around here., a 30 rack is 21.49 + tax/deposit. Miller High Life is basically the same price, occasionally I'll pick up a 30 rack of Natural Light.

Haven't really had much luck finding any imports in that price range, but I always try and have a six pack of Prestige (Haitian brand) on hand. If I can't find that I'll go with Super Bock/Sagres (Portuguese) or Dos Equis (yes I know it's shit but I love it).

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
A six pack of 16 oz Narragansett cans can be found for 6.49 + tax/deposit around here., a 30 rack is 21.49 + tax/deposit. Miller High Life is basically the same price, occasionally I'll pick up a 30 rack of Natural Light.

Haven't really had much luck finding any imports in that price range, but I always try and have a six pack of Prestige (Haitian brand) on hand. If I can't find that I'll go with Super Bock/Sagres (Portuguese) or Dos Equis (yes I know it's shit but I love it).
We used to get pony kegs of DOS Equis every Friday afternoon in college for awhile!

Ah, the good ole days!

To quote my departed way to soon pal Pat DiNizio

"Now, it's.....only a memory"

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC

1Q8e.gif

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
You can get a case of Yuengling bottles for about a buck each.

JKP

Sep 19, 2004
Halifax, NS
These last few posts are depressing... beer is so f***ing expensive in my province with our state-run monopoly booze operation...

For example:
- I bought 12 bottles of Corona on Saturday $32.49 CAD.
- My current favourite summer sipping beer, Pilsner Urquell, is $4.29 for a 16oz can...
- My current favourite local beer, a nice pilsner, is $4.85 for a 16oz can...

Even shitty Bud Light costs $27.50 for 12 12oz cans...

:surrender

BrockLobster

Feb 11, 2013
Long Beach, NY
These last few posts are depressing... beer is so f***ing expensive in my province with our state-run monopoly booze operation...

For example:
- My current favourite summer sipping beer, Pilsner Urquell, is $4.29 for a 16oz can...

Every 4 pack i buy is $20. I dont mind paying for the good local stuff.

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
My beer is Rheingold the dry beer.
Think of Rheingold whenever you buy beer 🍺.
It’s refreshing, not sweet.
It’s the extra dry treat.
Won’t you try extra dry Rheingold beer?

Now stay tuned for Kiner's Korner!
I was just warming up my pipes thinking I would follow that last one up with a rendition of the Schaefer jingle.

I’ll spare everyone and let it go.

I was too young to have tasted those beers but I suspect there’s a reason they went out of business. Maybe using water from the East River wasn’t such a great idea?

• Haha
Reactions: Mike C

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
I was just warming up my pipes thinking I would follow that last one up with a rendition of the Schaefer jingle.

I’ll spare everyone and let it go.

I was too young to have tasted those beers but I suspect there’s a reason they went out of business. Maybe using water from the East River wasn’t such a great idea?
I think I went to one concert in Central Park when it was the Schaefer Music Festival before it became the Dr. Pepper Festival. I always liked good old Budweiser or Icehouse if on tap.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006

For example:

That's horrible. The state runs booze operations in PA where I live, but prices are low. They license out beer sales, and until relatively recently wine and liquor was sold only in "state stores", but now you can get wine in supermarkets, etc.. But there's not really much if any markup. Sounds like your province is marking up prices to generate revenue for themselves. It's good to be king.

Reactions: JKP

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut

For example:

That’s highway robbery, especially for the Bud Light.

A guy I work with recently gave me a bottle of his home brew. He decided to take it up as a hobby. It wasn’t bad (notice I also didn’t say it was good).

In any event it might be worth trying just for fun. Who knows? You may have a hidden talent.

Reactions: JKP

Dutch Frost

Battle Level
Mar 12, 2010
Queens, NY
I used to be a beer snob in my 20's but it became impossible to stick with a brand I liked as it aint carried in stores and bars switch taps all the time. So I gave up and drink Bud Heavy / Bud light / Miller Lite. If they got Peroni ill switch to them always. Stella is a close 2nd. It's simple, I know what I am getting.

Here are some great choices if you find them buy them:

Goose Island - Summer (best Summer brand out there)
New Belgium - vooodo ranger ipa
Sam Adams - Old Fezziwig (Christmas blend)

other than that.. a simple pint of lager never did me wrong.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I used to be a beer snob in my 20's but it became impossible to stick with a brand I liked as it aint carried in stores and bars switch taps all the time. So I gave up and drink Bud Heavy / Bud light / Miller Lite. If they got Peroni ill switch to them always. Stella is a close 2nd. It's simple, I know what I am getting.

Here are some great choices if you find them buy them:

Goose Island - Summer (best Summer brand out there)
New Belgium - vooodo ranger ipa
Sam Adams - Old Fezziwig (Christmas blend)

other than that.. a simple pint of lager never did me wrong.
That's where I'm at right now, a pint of Prestige (Haitian lager, can be found at Total Wine) is where my comfort spot is.

Like you said you know what you're getting and it's just crisp and clean, especially when ice cold.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
That's where I'm at right now, a pint of Prestige (Haitian lager, can be found at Total Wine) is where my comfort spot is.

Like you said you know what you're getting and it's just crisp and clean, especially when ice cold.

What are you coldest beer rankings?
- Old refrigerator in the garage beer
- Frozen mug beer
- Cooler beer

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
- Frozen mug beer
- Cooler beer
Always liked the frosty mug, not totally frozen or the beer would be too cold. Cooler beer a solid 2nd for me but never turned down ANY beer if I'm being honest!

Nowadays I go for the Manhattan Special in a tall cup of ice. Heading out to the Italian Cafe for one now!

Reactions: Mr Misunderstood

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
- Frozen mug beer
- Cooler beer
I'm not a frozen mug guy and I'm too poor to have a garage (although my pop's garage beer in our old fridge always hit really nice).

Right now I got one of those foam coolers you can get at the dollar store and will fill it with ice on Saturday morning if I know I'm going to be doing some landscaping in the hot sun. It's not the best because it's doesn't keep heat in like a real cooler but it gets the job done.

If you can get a legit insulated cooler like a knock off Yeti I'd say try that...

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $380.00