Prospect Info: Bedard Topic 2

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
More reports about the Hawks front office trying to encourage Bedard to get off the ice … get some rest. There’s a passion to be great that I haven’t felt in Chicago sports since the 90s. Yeah … there were some who came close but Bedard is maniacal and sincere about it since a certain #23 in Chicago.

As long as he stays away from injuries, this will be a special era in Hawks history … perhaps even moreso than the Kane/Toews/Keith era. Let’s hope the Hawks front office gets the help Berardi needs. Then again, Bedard is that rare talent who makes mediocre talent around him good. Ot’s already showing as a teenager.

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009
This is actually hilarious. I think we all knew bedard was doing by himself but good lord that’s bad :laugh:
What's hilarious is how many seem to think Faber is actually a viable alternative to Bedard for the Calder.

A good chunk of the PHWA are morons, so it's quite possible it happens.

Reactions: Pez68

Wally1112pac

Three Year Rebuild lol
Jul 10, 2019
What's hilarious is how many seem to think Faber is actually a viable alternative to Bedard for the Calder.

A good chunk of the PHWA are morons, so it's quite possible it happens.

I think the Calder race has been over for a long time. Especially with Bedard winning the latest rookie of the month. He's won it 3 times. Faber won it the month that Bedard was injured.

How can the NHL not give the Calder to Bedard with him winning rookie of the month 3 times? They would look like clowns if they didn't.

McDavid won rookie of the month 3 times but he only played 45 games so they couldn't give it to him. Bedard's next game will be his 62nd.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
I think the Calder race has been over for a long time. Especially with Bedard winning the latest rookie of the month. He's won it 3 times. Faber won it the month that Bedard was injured.

How can the NHL not give the Calder to Bedard with him winning rookie of the month 3 times? They would look like clowns if they didn't.

McDavid won rookie of the month 3 times but he only played 45 games so they couldn't give it to him. Bedard's next game will be his 62nd.
McDavid lost it to a guy who finished ninth in league scoring.

Reactions: Giovi

Wally1112pac

Three Year Rebuild lol
Jul 10, 2019
The moment Bedard returned from his broken jaw, the Calder race was over.

To be honest, there was never really a race. It was over before the injury and everyone knew it.

The only thing that could have stopped Bedard from winning the Calder was his games played.

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009

The NHL doesn't give the Calder to anyone. The journalists who write about the NHL vote on it. And there's more than a few leaning towards Faber.

"Faber tied Bedard in the February NHL Awards Watch, grabbing the spotlight while the Blackhawks phenom was injured. He nudged ahead of him last month. Now, in the season's final weeks, Faber collected 54% of the first-place votes to Bedard's 46% to lead the Calder race."

Never, ever underestimate a hockey journalist's ability to get it wrong.

Wally1112pac

Three Year Rebuild lol
Jul 10, 2019
The NHL doesn't give the Calder to anyone. The journalists who write about the NHL vote on it. And there's more than a few leaning towards Faber.

"Faber tied Bedard in the February NHL Awards Watch, grabbing the spotlight while the Blackhawks phenom was injured. He nudged ahead of him last month. Now, in the season's final weeks, Faber collected 54% of the first-place votes to Bedard's 46% to lead the Calder race."

Ya, I understand it is voted on. I'm sure some yokels will give Faber a 1st place vote or 2 but I'm not worried. Every creditable media source that I watch have Bedard winning in a landslide. The Minnesota hockey media is giving everyone false hope. But that's their job.

bwanajamba

Apr 18, 2019
I was bored so I ran the numbers: by my rough count, when Bedard plays and doesn't record a point, the team is 3-15-3 and has been shut out 8 times. When he was out they went 3-10-1 with 4 shutouts. So in total, they're 6-25-4 and have been shut out 12 times (a little more than 33% of the time) when Bedard doesn't register a point, playing or not. That's a 37 point pace over 82 games, which would be comfortably the worst in modern NHL history.

They're 17-23-1 when he does record a point. Still a bottom 5 in the league pace (~70 points), but far from historically bad.

What is the takeaway aside from me being on the spectrum? If an 18 year old rookie doesn't produce, his team is twice as likely to get shut out as they are to win. That is tremendous pressure and I think it makes me admire what he's done this year even more.

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
Such a terrible team without Bedard. @bwanajamba you ought to post that in the Calder thread on the main boards.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
With 6GR Connor Bedatdxcan still reach over a point nt a game...currently 59 pts in 62 GP..ifvhe pkays all 6 GR he needs 9 pts in the last 6GP to reach point a gane status.

HE IS ALRAEADY way ahead of Nathan McKinnon rookie year ppg but slightly behind Connor McDavid rookiec year pace .

With 6GR Bedard's ppg is .9516

McKinnon rookie season he was .76829 ppg

McDavid rookie season was 1.0666 ppg.

But they were not -38 (as Bedard is with 6GR).

McKinnon was +20 in 82GP in his rookie season...

McDavid was -1in 45 GP hiscrookie season.

So Bedardchas lots of work to do to improve his defensive checjingbin the d-zonevin ES ...

Yes +/÷ is influenced by what others on your team do in ES on the d-zone ...but any eye test for Bedard reveals he is not (yet) an acceptable level of checking required by a Cenyer if that Center wants a positive + stat line...Gotta win more puck races and battles and turn to transition out to opps o-zone ..Cannot be hemmed i now zone lengthy shift time...cNnot watch pucks fly into our net.

Centersxare very important forcd-zone checking assignments.. ifvtgey are left watching ,the team is going to give up too many RScgoals..Bedard has his work cut out for hom defensive Shively.

You hope experience helps improve some of his current d-zonevpkay...and you hopevhecscoresvmorevin ES to cut the negative differential in ESxsituations.

Maybe improvements in both RS scoring and I ES defending can boost Bedard to atvleasy near zero or above in +/- ?

Whatever he will be consideredcacflwed player if his +/- staysxsi ugly.

Last edited:

Northernhawk

Feb 22, 2020
The goal last night moved Bedard into a tie with Kirby Dach for career points sitting at 195th alltime as a Blackhawk(not too shabby eh?)…Bedard has played 90 less games than Dach did in a Hawks’ jersey!!!

bwanajamba

Apr 18, 2019
I was bored so I ran the numbers: by my rough count, when Bedard plays and doesn't record a point, the team is 3-15-3 and has been shut out 8 times. When he was out they went 3-10-1 with 4 shutouts. So in total, they're 6-25-4 and have been shut out 12 times (a little more than 33% of the time) when Bedard doesn't register a point, playing or not. That's a 37 point pace over 82 games, which would be comfortably the worst in modern NHL history.

They're 17-23-1 when he does record a point. Still a bottom 5 in the league pace (~70 points), but far from historically bad.

What is the takeaway aside from me being on the spectrum? If an 18 year old rookie doesn't produce, his team is twice as likely to get shut out as they are to win. That is tremendous pressure and I think it makes me admire what he's done this year even more.
1fQV.gif

Updated numbers: 6-26-4 with 13 shutouts.

Last edited:

CanadianHawks

Feb 23, 2018

You can take the word Hockey out of that third paragraph and still be correct

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
I care less if Bedard fails to win the Calder .. what I am upset about is that in lsdtc12GP Bedard has just 1 goal an justc5a...= a half piibtca game oacevis NOT 'generational" evidence..but mostly a verifiable fizzle to finish the season..Has 2GR to re-showcase the talent..but in lsdt 12GP hehas been way off pace .. and especially the goals from the "generatiobal" shot.

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013
I care less if Bedard fails to win the Calder .. what I am upset about is that in lsdtc12GP Bedard has just 1 goal an justc5a...= a half piibtca game oacevis NOT 'generational" evidence..but mostly a verifiable fizzle to finish the season..Has 2GR to re-showcase the talent..but in lsdt 12GP hehas been way off pace .. and especially the goals from the "generatiobal" shot.

Despite the typical ridiculous amount of spelling errors….I actually understand your point here and it’s at least somewhat fair to question the quality of performance from Bedard these past 15-20 games or so and if it truly does match up to the likes of Crosby/McDavid.

Regardless though he’s easily the best rookie and still a guaranteed future star player/someone to build your team around. He’s got incredible skill and despite the lackluster closing to his rookie campaign there’s a lot to be excited about even if he’s not “generational”/as good as players who belong in the top 10 all-time debate.

Reactions: statswatcher

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
I doubt playing with the visor is the reason for the goal fizzle ..but I hopevit is...otherwise without the special threat of his shot and goals fron it he is reduced to a smallish playmaker with little defensive game...not as enticing a proposition as what his top threat skills were when we drafted hom...he is not getting his shots off ..not eluding the checkers clothing his way...and too much play on the perimeter.

2GR to wipe out the stinky memories of his last 12 efforts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad