Prospect Info: "Because it's never too early" - 2014 NHL Draft discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
The loss against Leafs is gonna be critical next game. I think they will come out fired up as they still think they can make. We need to get a bit of a losing streak going to put some distance between us and 7th. I think if we lose to the Leafs I would start counting us in the conversation for 5th overall with the way the Islanders have played lately, but I won't be greedy, happy with 6th if we can make it.

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
The loss against Leafs is gonna be critical next game. I think they will come out fired up as they still think they can make. We need to get a bit of a losing streak going to put some distance between us and 7th. I think if we lose to the Leafs I would start counting us in the conversation for 5th overall with the way the Islanders have played lately, but I won't be greedy, happy with 6th if we can make it.

If the Islanders win next two games, they're only 2 points behind Jets. That's crazy! 5th pick not as far out of reach as I thought.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Jets are in a better position by virtue of playing 2 more games than pretty much everyone else. Flames have 1 game in hand, while Preds and Isles have 2 games in hand.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
muhahahahah everything is coming together - you will be mine Drasaitl, MINE - MIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINE.

That is the perfect villain line!!! I like it GJF

I was a bit worried about Pavs after the Phoenix game but once we got the 2-1 lead last night he came roaring back.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
If we draft 5th or 6th, I'm seriously gonna record myself the 2 minutes when we pick with my webcam, like suggested. I'd literally explode if we draft him :laugh:

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
muhahahahah everything is coming together - you will be mine Drasaitl, MINE - MIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINE.

That is the perfect villain line!!! I like it GJF

I was a bit worried about Pavs after the Phoenix game but once we got the 2-1 lead last night he came roaring back.

Quietly? :sarcasm:

I fear that Draisaitl will be on the board, and we choose someone else. We'll have to watch GJF closely for signs of severe mental trauma. :laugh: ;)

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
Quietly? :sarcasm:

I fear that Draisaitl will be on the board, and we choose someone else. We'll have to watch GJF closely for signs of severe mental trauma. :laugh: ;)

Well the good thing is that I will be only crying for 10-20 minutes and after that, garret will show me some fancy stats why our draft choice was his secret, favourit choice and that the kid produced at a better CHL rate than nobody since Crosby or Stamkos or something like that.

I just hope that the Islanders or Canes draft him, not Nashville or Calgary. I want to be able to root a least a little for him over the next years and it would be way easier for me to enjoy him on an Eastern Conference team.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
You guys must think I'm some sort of weird nut... :/

You mean like a pistachio?

Pistachio_Nuts.jpg

;)

Not at all: I enjoy your analysis, and it forces me to rethink some of my biases and dig deeper into the underlying numbers after games. :nod:

JMT21

I Give A Dam!
Aug 8, 2011
In My House
Jets are in a better position by virtue of playing 2 more games than pretty much everyone else. Flames have 1 game in hand, while Preds and Isles have 2 games in hand.

Senators, Canucks & Canes also have 1 or 2 games in hand.

Rest of schedule :

Leafs : still fighting for their playoff lives
Wild : haven't secured wild card yet..... still battling for playoff position
Boston : President's trophy aspirations ?
Flames : Long shot but could end up being a battle for the 4th pick.

I'm sensing we'll be drafting no worse than 6th or 7th. :yo:

fmax

Jun 11, 2011
Winnipeg
What if Chevy goes off the board and picks someone ranked 15th to 20th?
Having a top 5 pick might not make a difference...

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER

Might. But it increases the odds to get whoever you want to get outside of the top 5 drastically. Wether you need those increased odds is another question but it sure doesn't hurt to have them.

They might trade down if that's the case. And the 6th overall pick > 7th overall pick in value.

Winnipeg Jets

Lucky #7
Feb 19, 2010
Winnipeg

I don't see that happening, especially with a top 5 pick. Unless they like someone ranked lower a hell of a lot, you usually can't screw up picking that high. With Chevy's track record so far I'm pretty confident we get a great player regardless of where we pick.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
At this point getting near or at the 6th overall pick (with a chance at moving up further with the lottery) would be a blessing. The top 5 or so players in this draft appear to be the "prize" players given what we know today. It would be pretty exciting to be in a position to get one of them. Ekblad, Reinhart, Bennett, Dal Colle, Draisaitl, etc. Even after those guys you've still got some exciting young players.

Me personally, I'd love Michael Dal Colle. I think he's got a good nose for the hard areas and doesn't shy away whether it's in front of the net or along the boards, talented, possesses good size for the wing, and could in all likelihood take over for Ladd on LW in a couple years. Dal Colle is just an all around powerful player, I'd love to have him in the organization. He's really showing good tools at this point from his size, speed, scoring ability and dedication to all three zones. And he comes from a strong junior program in Oshawa. He is the player I want, personally.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
At this point getting near or at the 6th overall pick (with a chance at moving up further with the lottery) would be a blessing. The top 5 or so players in this draft appear to be the "prize" players given what we know today. It would be pretty exciting to be in a position to get one of them. Ekblad, Reinhart, Bennett, Dal Colle, Draisaitl, etc. Even after those guys you've still got some exciting young players.

Me personally, I'd love Michael Dal Colle. I think he's got a good nose for the hard areas and doesn't shy away whether it's in front of the net or along the boards, talented, possesses good size for the wing, and could in all likelihood take over for Ladd on LW in a couple years. Dal Colle is just an all around powerful player, I'd love to have him in the organization. He's really showing good tools at this point from his size, speed, scoring ability and dedication to all three zones. And he comes from a strong junior program in Oshawa. He is the player I want, personally.

Dal Colle is the guy I have been wondering might "slip" somehow to us if we end up at 6. Possibly if a team ahead of us really liked Nylander, Ritchie, or Ehlers.

He sounds like a great player.

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
We've been trending at 500 all year, so i'm guessing we split the last 4 games and end up with 8th pick. hope i'm wrong though

mzappa

Jets fans in space
Jun 27, 2011
I'm torn. Want a better Jets draft position/lottery pick, but also want to crush the Leafs hopes.:nod:

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
Dal Colle is the guy I have been wondering might "slip" somehow to us if we end up at 6. Possibly if a team ahead of us really liked Nylander, Ritchie, or Ehlers.

He sounds like a great player.

Definitely possible, Huffer. And this is a perfect example of how it could benefit us in drafting in the 6 slot rather than the 8-9th. I think you're very well correct in that a team before us could be pretty exciting in a player with the package Ritchie brings, for example. There always seems to be one surprise pick in there, or one guy that slips a spot or two or three. I honestly would be very, very, very surprised if that guy was Dal Colle, but, you just never know on draft day. If a team really likes Ritchie, they could very well select him.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Definitely possible, Huffer. And this is a perfect example of how it could benefit us in drafting in the 6 slot rather than the 8-9th. I think you're very well correct in that a team before us could be pretty exciting in a player with the package Ritchie brings, for example. There always seems to be one surprise pick in there, or one guy that slips a spot or two or three. I honestly would be very, very, very surprised if that guy was Dal Colle, but, you just never know on draft day. If a team really likes Ritchie, they could very well select him.

Ya, and final rankings may change after playoffs and under 18 tourney. I even see Bennett going #1 and all top four guys going anywhere, much like when Jones slipped last year. Ekblad could evn fall to #5. There is no lock on the order this year.

mzappa

Jets fans in space
Jun 27, 2011
all the more reason to.....TANK!!!!!! :sarcasm:

missile%20tank.gif

Ya, and final rankings may change after playoffs and under 18 tourney. I even see Bennett going #1 and all top four guys going anywhere, much like when Jones slipped last year. Ekblad could evn fall to #5. There is no lock on the order this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad