Prospect Info: "Because it's never too early" - 2014 NHL Draft discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
Didn't take Toronto decades to correct culture either.
They were good in the early 2000's they're good now.

We were talking about changing culture.
It doesn't take decades.

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
I'm liking what I've hear about the play of Jake Virtanen of the Calgary Hitmen. He's a 6'1" 210 lbs LW/RW (shoots right).

Playing style very comparable to Ladd but has much better wheels. Skating is a strength. Loves to hit and has a great shot.

Draisaitl and Ritchie are intriguing as well although durability may be an issue with Ritchie.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Jebus, I had to go to page 3 to find this, we must be really slipping. ;)

Anyway, looking forward to the October update Garret.

Question(s): Any chance that some stats (points, PIMS, etc) could be added to the graph? Also, it's probably tough if guys move around the forward positions, but could some of those "F's" be changed to LW,C, or RW as either the spot they usually line up at, or most likely position in the NHL?

Otherwise, any thoughts from our posters who get to watch WHL, OHL, and QMJHL? It sucks to have to read other boards to get people's thoughts on the next draft class. :(

Mathmew Purrrr Oh

#meowmeowmeowmeow
Apr 18, 2013
meow
Jebus, I had to go to page 3 to find this, we must be really slipping. ;)

Anyway, looking forward to the October update Garret.

Question(s): Any chance that some stats (points, PIMS, etc) could be added to the graph? Also, it's probably tough if guys move around the forward positions, but could some of those "F's" be changed to LW,C, or RW as either the spot they usually line up at, or most likely position in the NHL?

Otherwise, any thoughts from our posters who get to watch WHL, OHL, and QMJHL? It sucks to have to read other boards to get people's thoughts on the next draft class. :(

Prospect board is pretty great tho

Renegade Stylings
Seph
oilsp1ll

all great posters who see a ton of CHL prospects (well those guys mostly WHL) and RS and Seph have pretty good blogs to boot

for US stuff Willam H Bonney, Xokkeu, Rabid Ranger all solid - so is umm Dr. Quincy?

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
Not to sound like a downer. But could that be from steroids? Doesn't steroids cause facial hair? Sure there are people that can grow facial hair at young ages. But not many.

I definitly went to highschool with a kid who had a similar beard well before 17 and i can assure you he wasn't on steroids.

It happens.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
For sure, there are some great posters there, and you need to know who they are.

It's just that we also have great posters here who's opinions are great too.

Prospect board is pretty great tho

Renegade Stylings
Seph
oilsp1ll

all great posters who see a ton of CHL prospects (well those guys mostly WHL) and RS and Seph have pretty good blogs to boot

for US stuff Willam H Bonney, Xokkeu, Rabid Ranger all solid - so is umm Dr. Quincy?

Snot Rocket

HF anti-tank squad
Feb 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Not to sound like a downer. But could that be from steroids? Doesn't steroids cause facial hair? Sure there are people that can grow facial hair at young ages. But not many.

Obviously no one in your grade 7 locker room was Greek.
(example: Parros)

Spiros was rocking the lip furniture that other dudes were trying to grow out @ 20... in grade 7.

Plus hair growth is internal clock...there would be some concern if he was a she...then you might be on to something.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
What are you even getting at man lol

Ok, apparently I need to spell it out for you. Losing breeds more losing. Unless you are fortunate enough to pick up a franchise player like a Lemieux, Crosby, Toews or Mcdavid, it is actually very difficult to build a winner through the draft alone.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Anybody else surprised by the early production from 2014 draft eligibles?

The big guys are producing as expected - although I didn't think I'd see Sam in the WHL's top 5.

Player - PPG
Brendan Perlini - 1.9
Sam Reinhart - 1.75
Sam Bennett - 1.57
Michael Dal Colle - 1.53
Nikolay Goldobin - 1.3
Leon Draisaitl - 1.25

A few of these kids will fall off this pace, but those are pretty solid numbers for draft eligible forwards.

Last edited:

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010

The big guys are producing as expected - although I didn't think I'd see Sam in the WHL's top 5.

Player - PPG
Brendan Perlini - 1.9
Sam Reinhart - 1.75
Sam Bennett - 1.57
Michael Dal Colle - 15.3
Nikolay Goldobin - 1.3
Leon Draisaitl - 1.25

A few of these kids will fall off this pace, but those are pretty solid numbers for draft eligible forwards.

Any "generalities" about these guys? I.E. how they play or who they compare to style wise? I've only seen Draisaitl in the World Juniors, and Reinhart in the U18's.

I would love if someone took a stab at some style generalities of the top 30.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Well technically Reinhart is an 18 year old his birthday is on the 6th. It isn't surprising to see what he is doing so far in the league and I think that is probably what he is supposed to be doing.

I have talked with a Jets scout this season, I think it was Friesen, anyway they don't like to give too much away but in his opinion Ekblad was the best player in the draft followed closely by Reinhart.

The Jets are also like Fleury from Red Deer and Martin from the Broncos. They are also viewing Quennville/Hawryluk from Brandon and De Leo from Portland. I think those are the guys they like from the west in the 1st round.

umwoz

Feb 28, 2010
Biggest rise recently has got to be Dal Colle. Playing extremely well, seems like a really driven player.

The Jets are also like Fleury from Red Deer and Martin from the Broncos. They are also viewing Quennville/Hawryluk from Brandon and De Leo from Portland. I think those are the guys they like from the west in the 1st round.

Quenneville? Are they talking David Quenneville, because he's a 2016 prospect.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Well technically Reinhart is an 18 year old his birthday is on the 6th. It isn't surprising to see what he is doing so far in the league and I think that is probably what he is supposed to be doing.
There have been questions about Sam's offensive upside - this is what has held back his draft stock to a degree. Sam was under a point per game last year (.93 PPG) - his current scoring pace is .82 PPG better than last years pace. That is a huge leap. If he keeps it up, I am inclined to believe he will have answered the offensive upside questions.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Biggest rise recently has got to be Dal Colle. Playing extremely well, seems like a really driven player.

Quenneville? Are they talking David Quenneville, because he's a 2016 prospect.

John Quennville center from Brandon 13 points in 16 games this year. 6'1 190

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba

Player - PPG
Brendan Perlini - 1.9
Sam Reinhart - 1.75
Sam Bennett - 1.57
Michael Dal Colle - 15.3
Nikolay Goldobin - 1.3
Leon Draisaitl - 1.25

15.3 p/pg? that's insane....

:sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad