OT: Bears and NFL Talk thread XL: Bears select WR Kevin White from WVU

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChiGuySez

Cody Parkey GOAT
Oct 4, 2006
Yeah - I have zero idea why someone would pick up Cutler, his contract, and all the 'baggage' that goes along with it.

I just keep hearing rumors so I wonder if there is a team really interested in getting Cutty.
Cutler is untradeable. No GM named Tallon in the NFL. Deal with it.

Eco

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2013
QC
Martellus Bennett On Trade Block

April 29th at 1:30pm CST by Luke Adams

Earlier in 2015, a report suggested that Seahawks defensive end Michael Bennett wanted a new contract and a trade out of Seattle. Members of the Seahawks organization quickly shot down the idea that Bennett was seeking a trade, though it does still appear that the standout pass rusher wants to rework his deal.

Now, a similar report has surfaced regarding Bennett’s brother, Martellus Bennett. According to Adam Schefter of ESPN.com (via Twitter), the Bears are entertaining trade offers for their Pro Bowl tight end, and Bennett wants a new contract, whether he remains in Chicago or lands with a new team.

Bennett, 28, is coming off his best season, having racked up 90 receptions, 916 receiving yards, and six touchdowns for the Bears in 2014 — all of those figures were career-highs. So it makes sense that the veteran tight end would be seeking a raise, particularly since his contract doesn’t include any more guaranteed money.

Bennett is slated to earn about $5MM annually in 2015 and 2016, the final two years of his contract. While those are respectable salaries, Bennett presumably took notice of what happened on the free agent market this offseason, as players like Jordan Cameron and Charles Clay signed for $7.5MM per year — between them, Cameron and Clay combined for fewer catches than Bennett had in 2014.

While no teams have been linked to Bennett as potential suitors at this point, the Ravens, Packers, Browns, and Falcons are a few clubs with ample cap room and without a top-tier tight end.

No way do we send him to GB, although the idea of him coming to Atlanta is interesting, I feel like the Falcons have more pressing needs they need to concern themselves with.

What do you guys think? Will he remain a Bear for this season?

Eco

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2013
QC
I hate the NFL, really making ticket pick up for tonight a major pain in the ass.

I'm half jealous/ half excited for you tonight. This is the first draft in awhile that I can say that after the first pick, everything else just seems totally up in the air.

Stu Grimson

Apr 16, 2014
Any guesses as to what time the Bears will pick #7? Assuming they don't trade up/down? I have a dinner to go to from about 6:15-7:45. My guess would be 8:15 so I should be ok I think?

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
I'm half jealous/ half excited for you tonight. This is the first draft in awhile that I can say that after the first pick, everything else just seems totally up in the air.

I may not be going if my buddy isn't able to get there by 2 to pick the tickets up.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
No way do we send him to GB, although the idea of him coming to Atlanta is interesting, I feel like the Falcons have more pressing needs they need to concern themselves with.

What do you guys think? Will he remain a Bear for this season?

I hope so. I think he has outplayed his current deal, and probably deserves a new contract. The Bears would be silly to let him go IMO.

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013
I hope so. I think he has outplayed his current deal, and probably deserves a new contract. The Bears would be silly to let him go IMO.

The score guys were speculating this morning that the new guys in charge may not like all the non football side projects Bennett has going.

I like him but I don't see the bears as imminent contenders so if they can get a great pick for him then I'm fine with him being moved.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
The score guys were speculating this morning that the new guys in charge may not like all the non football side projects Bennett has going.

I like him but I don't see the bears as imminent contenders so if they can get a great pick for him then I'm fine with him being moved.

If they can get a great pick, then fine. But I'm envisioning them getting a 3rd or 4th back for him, which wouldn't be worth it IMO. Tight ends with 90 catches don't grow on trees.

Fortyfives

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2011
Let the games begin:

"According to @RapSheet the @ChicagoBears are in contact with Titans to move up to 2nd overall to draft Mariota. #Bears #2015NFLDraft"

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I don't believe it either.

And not just from the fact that I'm still scratching my head at the concept of drafting Winston ahead of Mariota. But I wouldn't be opposed, even with my belief that it's not a very strong QB year.

Stu Grimson

Apr 16, 2014
Let the games begin:

"According to @RapSheet the @ChicagoBears are in contact with Titans to move up to 2nd overall to draft Mariota. #Bears #2015NFLDraft"

The Bears have 6 picks only and too many holes to fill. If they do anything it is to trade down

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI
If they feel Mariota is a franchise QB, why not?

That covers up a lot of holes. Look at Indianapolis and Pittsburgh. Just as long as you don't completely **** your defense, you can float on to the playoffs.

dbridge

Bluth Lockout 2015
Nov 28, 2010
Chicago
I really haven't followed the pre-draft coverage a ton, but could they be letting on more interest than they actually have in the #2 pick in an effort to drive up the price for Philly? Wouldn't hurt to try and raise the asking price for another NFC team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad