Bears and NFL Talk Thread LI: Bears don't win again

Status
Not open for further replies.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
I have yet to see one confirmed report that anyone outside the Bears were interested in trading up for Trubisky. It's possible but I don't buy it.
Does it matter? The Bears have their QB and teams like SF, Cleveland, etc. are still looking. If the Bears end up with a high pick, we can trade out and perhaps recoup some of our picks. Remember what the Rams and the Eagles had to give up to get Goff and Wentz. Houston and KC gave up extra 1st rounders for Watson and Mahommes. The Bears gave up numerous 1st rounders for Cutler. If Pace found a franchise QB, it really doesn't matter how much he gave up. Everything was justified.

Reactions: IU Hawks fan

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Yah and I've read them all. Nothing sold me on another team leap frogging the Bears to grab Mitch. Also, I don't know why he is being used as proof of the Browns screwing up again. He has not done enough yet to be considered a miss by other teams.
Do you want to be SF and coming to the realization Solomon Thomas wasn't a good pick and announcing CJ Beathard as their starting QB? The only reason Beathard will throw for yards is that Shanahan has a very good offensive mind.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
The fact that the Browns really wanted Trubisky is actually an argument against him given Cleveland's track record at identifying quality quarterbacks....

Reactions: b1e9a8r5s

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Last edited:

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Ranking all 32 NFL defenses after Week 6

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-ranking-all-32-nfl-defenses-after-week-6

3. CHICAGO BEARS
BEST-GRADED STARTER: Adrian Amos, S, 87.7
WORST-GRADED: Quintin Demps, S, 43.4

No unit has improved like the Chicago Bears have on defense. It still has some issues, but it has been undermined by their offense more than most teams, not to mention injuries. They have some impressive grades in coverage across the entire back seven, while the defensive front has been very stout against the run, even if the pass-rush remains a concern.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
I didn't know he had actually had a good game against Washington. Until then, he stunk. In 6 games, he had 20 tackles and 2 sacks. That big game takes him to 3.3 tackles and 0.33 sacks per game. Let's see if he continues the trend.

By the way, Thomas is on track for 5 sacks this season.

So he isn't good already? Time will tell on both these guys.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Yah and I've read them all. Nothing sold me on another team leap frogging the Bears to grab Mitch. Also, I don't know why he is being used as proof of the Browns screwing up again. He has not done enough yet to be considered a miss by other teams.

There's never going to be definitive evidence of a trade that didn't happen, one way or the other. So people are left to believe what they want. Teams spin things after things don't go there way. Every pick a GM makes is the guy they were hopping was going to be there after it happens.

The Browns are getting criticized because of continuously passing on QBs, not just Trubisky. It's justified.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
So he isn't good already? Time will tell on both these guys.
Until Washington, I heard numerous analysts comment Thomas was invisible this year. He had a good game. However, let's not jump to conclusions that potentially losing Trubisky at #2 and picking Thomas at #3 was a big mistake. Leonard Floyd was pick #9 and had 7.0 sacks in 12 games and the jury is still out on him. What does that make Thomas?

IF Trubisky turns out to be at least a good QB, it doesn't matter that the Bears gave up 2 third round picks for him. It's well worth it.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
It's worth it.... to some degree but I think they could have got him where they were without losing a pick. I never count out any of these guys year 1 unless they have a ton of off the field problems.

Bears have been fairly competitive most of the games so it's been a surprise. I still think they miss and I'd rather they miss big for another high draft pick.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
There's never going to be definitive evidence of a trade that didn't happen, one way or the other. So people are left to believe what they want. Teams spin things after things don't go there way. Every pick a GM makes is the guy they were hopping was going to be there after it happens.

The Browns are getting criticized because of continuously passing on QBs, not just Trubisky. It's justified.

But every QB they drafted prior turned out to be garbage too. Most of them are no longer in the league.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
But every QB they drafted prior turned out to be garbage too. Most of them are no longer in the league.

During what time frame?

Wentz looks good, Watson looks good. Jury is still out on Trubisky. And they did draft a QB in the 2nd round who's been so bad they've already benched him.

They took Manziel over Bridgewater, Carr and Grappalo.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Floyd has 3 sacks in 6 games

I expect more from our "Game Changing" 1st round pick

He has been dropping back into coverage a ton, BWC. You knew that already. And just because he's not a "game-changer" doesn't mean that it was a bust/bad pick. If he turns into an above average edge rusher and coverage LB, then I'd say the pick is fine. Do you disagree?

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
So your saying Fangio is poor coach

Ok agree

And no I would not be happy if he turns into an above average edge rusher and coverage LB. At spot he was drafted he needs to provide more

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs

Ok agree

And no I would not be happy if he turns into an above average edge rusher and coverage LB. At spot he was drafted he needs to provide more

I'm meaning the pick wouldn't be a bust if that were the case. I look at a bust as someone who was picked in the 1st round and isn't a starter... or can't keep a job. Floyd is neither of those. So far I'd say the pick is fine, but he is being utilized slightly wrong, IMO. That may be more on personnel than the coaching of Fangio, too. He has limited options with the personnel they have, honestly.

Fangio has taken a team defense basically from worst to 1st(not 1st, but you know what I'm saying) over the past couple seasons. I'm fine with the improvement on D over the past couple years, and they'll continue to get better as they draft some higher defensive players. I want to see them find a game-changing wide receiver to give Mitch at least one consistent target to throw to. To me, that's the #1 priority right now.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com

Ok agree

Why is everything have to be black or white. There are so many other things that dictate how a player performs in this league, especially a rookie.

I don't think anyone thought the Bears D would be as serviceable as it's been these past weeks. Especially with all the injuries.

Reactions: b1e9a8r5s

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Using sacks as the sole indicator of a pass rushers ability or impact can be misleading. I think Floyd is having a nice year so far. He seems to be getting several pressures a game (I don't know the numbers) to me. I'm happy with his play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad