Post-Game Talk: Bear

3 Stars

• Total voters

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
This team is on fire.

The relentlessness. The killer instinct is there. The contributions from up and down the lineup.

The attention to detail but not to the point where they are thinking too much. The preparation coming into each game and the noticeable focus in first periods continue throughout the game.

Everything is clicking and they are playing confident and with the swagger knowing exactly what they need to execute to win. They are completely in it.

The approach is the same no matter who they play and to me that’s what you see in a really elite team.

All without their Norris defenseman. Very impressive.

Draft Guru

Feb 27, 2002
Long Island
We have a 4th line that would be a problem to deal with in the post season.
Well, we thought so too last season with Motte-Goodrow-Vesey and they were an utter disappointment with a single goal against the Devils. One of the reasons we lost that series. They were supposed to be a strength but instead got caved in.

Draft Guru

Feb 27, 2002
Long Island
Kakko looks completely out of shape. Doesn’t look strong certainly not quick. Just doesn’t look like he put in any work this summer. He legit right now is the worst player on the team. A year ago he was at least a solid middle six winger that made most lines look better. Right now he is a problem.

Bonino will most likely sit when chytil is ready. Can’t touch the 4th line but kakko is by far the biggest anchor up front. Trade him. I’m telling you will never think of him again

0% chance they sit Bonino

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
Glad you brought it up. No way should Pitlick sit. At very least he should rotate in. Obviously Vesey is the offensive "dynamo" on that line so he stays in. Hate to say it Goodrow should be out mostly because the coach loves the Bonino positive effect on faceoffs and pk.

I don't know if sitting Kakko will totally kill his confidence at this point???
I kind of agree with you. Kakko needs a wake up call. For 4 games now he is being rewarded with only 10 minutes of icetime. I think it's a no brainer who will sit once Chytil comes back.

I would have thought he would have progressed much further than Laffy at this juncture. And he had his opportunities starting on the 1st line to begin the season. I wouldn't say he is a bust. But he clearly needs a kick in the butt.

He can be a monster on the puck at times, and does have a good stick at breaking up plays, but he needs to be more involved. A good benching might be beneficial in him getting the message and giving him time to work on things.

Reactions: MysticLeviathan

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
Kakko looks completely out of shape. Doesn’t look strong certainly not quick. Just doesn’t look like he put in any work this summer. He legit right now is the worst player on the team. A year ago he was at least a solid middle six winger that made most lines look better. Right now he is a problem.

Bonino will most likely sit when chytil is ready. Can’t touch the 4th line but kakko is by far the biggest anchor up front. Trade him. I’m telling you will never think of him again
I agree Kakko is not progressing. And is likely regressing somewhat.

I wonder if being a type 1 diabetic has any play in this matter. I know there are a few in the league with this condition. But only two have made a real impact. Bobby Clarke and Max Domi.

Cmox

Jan 22, 2010
In the woods
What in the world...

405655137_10231758303565267_4703786573299570613_n.jpg
Its a key you dirty birdy!

Draft Guru

Feb 27, 2002
Long Island
Why is Pitlick sitting so obvious when we're all watching Kakko look like a borderline NHLer for the past month+. That kid needs a wake up call. He looks completely lost.

Because Pitlick is a 32 year old journeyman who is playing for his 8th NHL team over the last 6 years. We have nothing invested in him. Kakko is a 22 year old former #2 overall pick who had 40 points last season. He's going to be given every opportunity to play himself out of this slump.

It's not that hard.

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
Why is Pitlick sitting so obvious when we're all watching Kakko look like a borderline NHLer for the past month+. That kid needs a wake up call. He looks completely lost.
Kakko plays too passive, but he isn't sitting. You get nothing from that. He works his *** off every shift. I just don't think he has to wherewithal to go to the net consistently. I also think it'll help when Chytil comes back. That Kid Line 2.0 will be a force below the dots. I am not panicking like most people are. The team is 15-3-1. People need to relax. Laf was trash and should've been on LW4 to break preseason. Now look at him. I also don't think Kakko deserved the early season demotion. He was setting guys up left and right on his line and 93 and 20 couldn't score early. It just didn't work out. He's a hardworking kid.

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
The fact that there are people who think this team is better by sitting Kakko is concerning. Recency bias is so real here. Pitlick has been fantastic, but he was signed to be a 13F, and a damn good one. He will play his games this year when they need him. Enjoy it for now. They must do everything possible to get Kid Line 2.0 cooking and in-sync when 72 returns. Panicking and dumping Kakko or scratching him won't do jack **** for his confidence. I also do not think he's been as bad as people are making him out to be. Jeez, you'd think he's Ryan Reaves out there.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Because Pitlick is a 32 year old journeyman who is playing for his 8th NHL team over the last 6 years. We have nothing invested in him. Kakko is a 22 year old former #2 overall pick who had 40 points last season. He's going to be given every opportunity to play himself out of this slump.

It's not that hard.
Which is why I said he needs a wake up call. Nothing else has worked with this kid. He's been gifted a spot here for 5 years...there's been way more than one occasion that he hasn't earned it. Mostly in his first 2 years, but yet again we're in a situation where he isn't one of the 12 best guys on the team when everyone is healthy.

You make a valid point, for sure, but something needs to sound the alarm bells in this kids' head. A few games in the press box might do the trick.

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
Kid is such a stud. Not even 24 years old for two months.

He comes into the league and immediately defensively bodies Sidney Crosby and shows tons of offensive potential and play. Amazing that so many of us thought his NCAA play if executed at the NHL would be his ceiling. LOL he hasn't even grazed his ceiling yet. Whatta beaut.
Just had to trade up for K’Andre Miller

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Very ugly from Jacob. Up there with K'Andre on Doughty last year.

It happened at 2’20” of the second. I just rewatched it. The two guys were tangled and when they came apart 11 sort of spun Trouba around and Trouba spinning swung his stick and got him on the side of the head. It was not an attack. It was irresponsible and dangerous and worth a fine - it should have simply been a penalty. But it wasn’t really anything more. I’m sure that’s what the ref reported, thus the relatively minor supplemental discipline. Had the players been really offended they would have made more of it on the ice. 99% of the time we can gauge the severity by how the players react.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad