GDT: 'Battle of Alberta': Calgary @ Edmonton- 8 PM MT- CBC

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I was at the game last night- rough game to watch as a fan, lots of neutral zone play both ways and very few real chances. Monahan looked good on the flames, I thought talbot and elliott were sharp for the most part.

Roger's place, for all its fanfare, actually sucked in the upper bowl, and the tickets were still outrageously expensive. It was so steep that if the people in front of you leaned forward at all your view was obstructed. The seats were so narrow too- I was sitting beside two other regular sized guys and we had a great laugh trying to imagine what it would have been like if we'd been heftier guys... also bathrooms with a single entrance/exit point causing choke points. Overall 4/10 imo. Good acoustics though.

I actually enjoyed the game there a lot. The seats were admittedly really cramped, which kinda sucked and the music was hella loud (way worse than the Dome), but my experience there was quite good.

I got a kick of that message on the Jumbotron telling fans not to lean forward :laugh:

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I was at the game last night- rough game to watch as a fan, lots of neutral zone play both ways and very few real chances. Monahan looked good on the flames, I thought talbot and elliott were sharp for the most part.

Roger's place, for all its fanfare, actually sucked in the upper bowl, and the tickets were still outrageously expensive. It was so steep that if the people in front of you leaned forward at all your view was obstructed. The seats were so narrow too- I was sitting beside two other regular sized guys and we had a great laugh trying to imagine what it would have been like if we'd been heftier guys... also bathrooms with a single entrance/exit point causing choke points. Overall 4/10 imo. Good acoustics though.

I was there for the second regular season game this year. The dude directing people to their seats yelled at a few people who were leaning forward; I swapped tickets with my friend half way through (because he's an oil fan) and gave him my spots in the lower bowl. So this is what this gets you? Luxury lower bowl seats, super steep 2nd bowl; and a lot of bars.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I thing that I thought was disgraceful last night was the booing of Ryan Nugent-Hopkins during the announcement of the starting lineup. Absolutely embarrassing stuff from the fans

Highmarker

Oct 31, 2011
I thing that I thought was disgraceful last night was the booing of Ryan Nugent-Hopkins during the announcement of the starting lineup. Absolutely embarrassing stuff from the fans

Lol not sure if you're serious or not but what you heard were the fans saying "NUUUUUGE!"

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
oh **** nvm then :laugh:

Haha there were definitely oil fans booing rather than nugeing in the section I was in. Not quite as loud as the Trudeau boos though, which were deafening.

Yeah, if the new calgary arena turned out the same way Roger's has I would be disappointed. I will reserve judgment on the Ice district as a whole though, which I think will be pretty awesome when fully completed, judging by similar spots in other cities. I hope that the eventual new arena plan (whatever it comes out to) for calgary comes with a similar public square/ multi-use district.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
I was there for the second regular season game this year. The dude directing people to their seats yelled at a few people who were leaning forward; I swapped tickets with my friend half way through (because he's an oil fan) and gave him my spots in the lower bowl. So this is what this gets you? Luxury lower bowl seats, super steep 2nd bowl; and a lot of bars.

Haha exactly this. It was a living embodiment of second tier fandom. You really feel like a pleb when you can't even lean over in your seat and you can see the bourgeoisie below enjoying their cupholders/leg room

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad