Speculation: Barzal's next contract

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
See, if he signs this summer I'll be surprised if he gets that much.

Barzal's agent is gonna rightfully argue, his offensive production is down from 2017-18 because the isles asked him to adjust his game to suit Trotz's defensive system.

Isles want to lock Barzal up into his ufa yrs,they cannot lowball him.

ndgolden

Jan 9, 2009
That would be awful. He would be a ufa when that deal expires. Either give him a short term bridge deal for 1-2 seasons or give him a 7/8 yr deal that buys into his ufa yrs

It seems the trend now for the top RFA’s is to negotiate top dollars up to their UFA year. It seems teams are having less success buying out a few extra UFA yrs.

Poliz24

Jun 25, 2012
LI
Is that you Garth?
What is the positive of going to arbitration with an RFA or if he sits out like Nylander did. I want Barzal to be here, but if he doesn't want to be here move him. I understand he is an RFA, I think LL is smart enough to determine if Barzal wants to be here or not. Not for nothing a return for Barzal in a trade would be a pretty damn good return for a 21 year old entering their prime. I don't want it to come to that, Barzal should be an Islander but things happen. Hopefully he re-signs and this thread goes bye bye.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Barzal's agent is gonna rightfully argue, his offensive production is down from 2017-18 because the isles asked him to adjust his game to suit Trotz's defensive system.

Sure, he'll argue it. Then I'm sure Lamoriello will point to all the guys in defense first systems that were able to out-produce him. He hasn't proven that he's capable of similar offensive output while playing the defensive game. Wouldn't surprise me to see him play through next season to show he can and get the huge payday he'll be looking for.

kmo429

Jul 22, 2011
Any deal that doesn't take him all the way to UFA. So, I'd say either a 2 or 3 year deal. I wouldn't be aopposed to giving him 3 years 21 mil or something like that. I'd also be fine with 8 years, 68 million

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Sure, he'll argue it. Then I'm sure Lamoriello will point to all the guys in defense first systems that were able to out-produce him. He hasn't proven that he's capable of similar offensive output while playing the defensive game. Wouldn't surprise me to see him play through next season to show he can and get the huge payday he'll be looking for.
I am not expecting him to sign this summer or to take a team friendly deal because he sacrificed his offense, to buy into Trotz's ' me before we ' approach.

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
I am not expecting him to sign this summer or to take a team friendly deal because he sacrificed his offense, to buy into Trotz's ' me before we ' approach.

I think that's probably partly true and partly nonsense. IMO, set aside the defensive responsibility thing, he struggled anyway. It's normal to struggle in your second year. Next year I think we'll get a better idea of what he truly is.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I think that's probably partly true and partly nonsense. IMO, set aside the defensive responsibility thing, he struggled anyway. It's normal to struggle in your second year. Next year I think we'll get a better idea of what he truly is.
Every isles forward except maybe Cizikas saw his numbers drop under Trotz's defense first approach.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I understand and acknowledged that. That doesn't mean he didn't have issues besides that.

Barzal has made real strides defensively this season .

Also,as much as many fans are pissed at Tavares actions , no one can deny what a big loss he has been on the pp.

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011

Barzal still needs to learn how to take it up the middle and score.

Reactions: CupHolders

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011

I'm sure this is what Lee's agent is saying. And then Lou counters with Vanek and Moulson without Tavares. Hence the stall.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
8* points. I don’t care what anyone says that game 1 goal should have ****ing counted.

Barzal showed up for us.

Barzal has got a lot of fire in his belly, I really love the 'want' in his game. He's still a kid so he should settle down a bit over time, but I am very comfortable with him as the face of the franchise going forward. The stage is not too big for him.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Barzal has got a lot of fire in his belly, I really love the 'want' in his game. He's still a kid so he should settle down a bit over time, but I am very comfortable with him as the face of the franchise going forward. The stage is not too big for him.

Well said. He’s always been that way. He raises his game when it matters most. It’s good to see him do it at the highest level now and on the biggest stage.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad