Barry Trotz choking again

PuckSeparator

May 18, 2014
Check Republik
Him and the playoffs seem to be allergic to each other. This year he starts Grubauer and that ends up being a complete disaster - the Caps blow both games at home and are looking at yet another early exit. I've paid attention to him in the post season in the past and he just appears to be out of his element when the intensity gets amped up. I think it was last year where he had some issues with matching lines at home and he was called out by Caps fans.

Not sure what happens if they bow out in round 1 but Barry Trotz's legacy is heavily at play here.

Last edited:

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
Him and the playoffs seem to be allergic to each other. This year he starts Grubauer and that ends up being a complete disaster - the Caps blow both games at home and are looking at yet another early exit. I've paid attention to him in the post season in the past and he just appears to be out of his element when the intensity gets amped up. I think it was last year where he had some issues with matching lines at home and he was called out by Caps fans.

Not sure what happens if they bow out in round 1 but Barry Trotz's legacy is heavily at play here.

It's hard to find the line between his responsibility and the players.

The coach has to make adjustments t9 the game but the players have to play and carry it out. The caps playoff issues goes well beyond Trotz .. for years. BUT Trotz hasn't had a ton of playoff success either. So who is really at fault?

At the end of the day, id bet that if Trotz got fired, he'd be hired back to another team the first moment possible.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Ironically I just posted this in the Ovechkin thread.

The thing is that I really wanted Trotz for the Pens, badly wanted him, when he became available. The game has passed him by though. The new game is speed and forgoing checking lines for scoring up and down the lineup. I still keep hearing defense wins championships, and when the Pens face (San Jose, Nashville, fill in the blank with some other greatest defense ever) THEN they will learn that what they are doing can not work when it counts. True, the Pens have players to make it work, but it is not like the Caps have not, and do not, have players of that kind of skill, speed, etc.

Trotz is part of the problem, and the coaches that they had prior were much the same.

The game has changed and has passed him by.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
"Let's hit em. That'll work"

Coach! It's not working!

"Well...let's hit em. That'll work. Tom Wilson, you're on the top line. Go get em tiger!"

Coach! They're abusing us with their speed and skill! We need something different!

"Well...let's him em. That'll work".

There aren't a ton of quality coaches available at the moment so I doubt he gets canned but damn is he doing them no favors.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me

Not sure what happens if they bow out in round 1 but Barry Trotz's legacy is heavily at play here. Does he get another head coaching gig if the Caps bow out early?

Washington has been dominating both games. With a competent starter, they're up 2-0. Series is far from over.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Washington has been dominating both games. With a competent starter, they're up 2-0. Series is far from over.

Yes, the games could have gone either way and the Caps could be up 2-0 and we would not be having this conversation. But it is not just this series, and they went down however close 2-0 at home where they have last change and the crowd behind them.

My comments were more general and not triggered by this particular series.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
poor coach

team is big, fast, skilled but unfocused and some players undisciplined (Wilson)

Not good at holding leads. Plays too loose

PuckSeparator

May 18, 2014
Check Republik
I felt like CBJ looked like the more dangerous team 5-on-5 but overall I think the games have been decently even, both teams needed some serious PP action in game 2 to bring that game to OT. But this actually magnifies the small decision made by Trotz, since winning in the playoffs is about winning as many of the small battles as possible (including making the right personnel decisions at the right time).

Reactions: Jackets Fan

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014

Not sure what happens if they bow out in round 1 but Barry Trotz's legacy is heavily at play here. Does he get another head coaching gig if the Caps bow out early?
100% would get another coaching job. Worse coaches have gotten jobs than him, some with zero experience whatsoever.

Reactions: PuckSeparator

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Trotz is still one of the most respected respected coaches in the business. Coaching has never been the problem in Washington

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
He won't be back with Washington next year. I think lots of changes coming for the Caps this summer. That team should be doing better than what they are.

Grimm

Jul 21, 2017
"Let's hit em. That'll work"

Coach! It's not working!

"Well...let's hit em. That'll work. Tom Wilson, you're on the top line. Go get em tiger!"

Coach! They're abusing us with their speed and skill! We need something different!

"Well...let's him em. That'll work".

There aren't a ton of quality coaches available at the moment so I doubt he gets canned but damn is he doing them no favors.

Stupid post. I've seen more crashing and banging on other Caps teams.

They get a lead and play shell hockey. It's that simple. It doesn't work in this league.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Without going too far off topic, this is probably it for trotz. He mentioned before that he didnt want to move again because of his child who has down syndrome as it was becoming more and more difficult for his son to adapt to new places. Expect him to retire

Reactions: Eazy for Kuzy

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Without going too far off topic, this is probably it for trotz. He mentioned before that he didnt want to move again because of his child who has down syndrome as it was becoming more and more difficult for his son to adapt to new places. Expect him to retire

Really really sorry to hear of those struggles he and his family deal with. For the record, I had always liked him and as I said when he was hired by the Caps I really wanted him for the Pens. My prayers are for him and his family.

Reactions: viper0220

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017
Trotz is still one of the most respected respected coaches in the business. Coaching has never been the problem in Washington
Coaching hasn’t always been the problem in Washington.

Barry Trotz is a dinosaur. He is a good man, but a dinosaur.

His lineup decisions are baffling. He punishes players for being young. His in game adjustments are poor.

Barring a trip to the conference finals, he is done in Washington. I suspect he’ll get a job soon, or wait for Seattle.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Haj

#CatsAreComing
Apr 6, 2003
Arlington, VA
They play shell hockey because their defense is ass.

Sit Orpik play Djoos. Take chances and play up tempo the entire game.

If they are going lose at least go down throwing haymakers.

Reactions: Blades of Steel

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad