News Article: Barron's: Possible Sale of Knicks or Rangers

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
I know a lot of folks bash Dolan, but a lot of that..... a TON of that... comes from Stephen A Smith who made a career out of it.

Dolan's been a world class owner for the team. The way the Rangers treat their players, is bar none, above and beyond better than what other teams do. From chefs, cooks, chauffeurs, etc.

Those are expenses that aren't coming out of the players pockets. There are teams that do not offer that luxury to their players.

So if he wants out, and he's made some astute business deals in the past, it's well within his ability to do so, because there won't be a shortage of interest.

dstoffa

Jan 11, 2013
Would be one of the worst things to happen to the Rangers.

We spend to the cap and players always regard us as a class organization that they love to play for.

I know it's popular to hate Dolan but the Rangers are the one team I root for where ownership is strong and I really hope he keeps the team.

Not only that, but the teams don't have to pay rent. Would the building and the teams be sold as a package deal? Because everything changes once you need to start paying rent to play in a building. Owning your facility outright, especially with all the tax breaks and engery breaks the Garden gets, makes divorcing the teams from the arena a bad business move.

But to think, if you move the teams out of the Garden, the tax break and engery subsidies go away, screwing the title holder of the building.

If I were king, I'd make sure the building is in the deal...

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
If the two clubs are for sale i would assume the buyers will line up. For the Rangers, Forbes listed them as the highest valued franchise. Amazing considering their lack of bringing home Championships.

Who's buying them?

I would assume WME-IMG would have interest. Company is a monster and based out of NY. They already have the biggest names in Hollywood...The Rock, Wahlberg etc. They entered into the Sports arena in convincing fashion purchasing the UFC in 2016. That was i believe to the sum of $4.5 Billion. I could see them interested.

Of course, there is also Amazon...Who is coming to LI City. Hmmmm!

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
Not only that, but the teams don't have to pay rent. Would the building and the teams be sold as a package deal? Because everything changes once you need to start paying rent to play in a building. Owning your facility outright, especially with all the tax breaks and engery breaks the Garden gets, makes divorcing the teams from the arena a bad business move.

But to think, if you move the teams out of the Garden, the tax break and engery subsidies go away, screwing the title holder of the building.

If I were king, I'd make sure the building is in the deal...

If I remember right a few years back they separated MSG from the teams. I could be wrong and thinking of MSG network.

dstoffa

Jan 11, 2013
If I remember right a few years back they separated MSG from the teams. I could be wrong and thinking of MSG network.

I think they separated the network from the teams. Maybe they even separated the teams from the building. At the end of the day, I think that is all a smoke and mirrors game. I wouldn't want to be a tenant in someone else's building. So if I am buying the teams, I want the arena, too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad