News Article: Barron's: Possible Sale of Knicks or Rangers

TrueBlue9

Apr 23, 2007
subscription required: MSG Stock Is a Winning Bet Even If the Knicks and Rangers Aren’t

"...Boyar’s view is that with Dolan “ostensibly focused” on the MSG Sphere, “we see the sale of the teams as a distinct possibility.” Boyar’s view is that the Knicks and Rangers “would command a significant premium” to the Forbes estimate."

Dolan has already sold Cablevision, and spun off AMC Networks and MSG network. He is a stockholder first owner. Knicks worth an estimated $3.6Billion, Rangers $1.6Billion. Could command close to double on the actual market. Spin offs of the two teams are possible this year, making a sale in the future easier.

Dolan's next two projects are concert venues in Las Vegas and London

Reactions: Ori

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Also, Dolan's relationship with Bettman and the BoG is likely the reason why we haven't seen a draft or ASG at MSG in a really long time. It would be nice to have a good relationship with the league.

Reactions: YoSoyLalo and Ori

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
Would be one of the worst things to happen to the Rangers.

We spend to the cap and players always regard us as a class organization that they love to play for.

I know it's popular to hate Dolan but the Rangers are the one team I root for where ownership is strong and I really hope he keeps the team.
You're not putting together a nickel and dime group to buy the Knicks and Rangers. Whomever decided to go in on the deal is going to have deep ass pockets.

Reactions: Graves94

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
It's more a question of whether the deep pockets will also leave the running of the team to the hockey people and be hands-off.

Also the Rangers were good because of Lundqvist, since it's the very early part of the bad years, people think Dolan runs or let's the team be run well.

It's just a narrative. Nothing really changed internally.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Also, Dolan's relationship with Bettman and the BoG is likely the reason why we haven't seen a draft or ASG at MSG in a really long time. It would be nice to have a good relationship with the league.

All Star Game was at MSG twice, and they never held the draft at MSG since it's inception.

Before Dolan owned the team, people in the blue seats thought Bettman had a bad relationship with the Rangers "because of a prejudice against New Yorkers".

That's why he had to be booed before giving Messier the cup.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
You're not putting together a nickel and dime group to buy the Knicks and Rangers. Whomever decided to go in on the deal is going to have deep ass pockets.

The trend seems to be investor groups. And investor groups tend to prioritize profits over winning, because it's not a vanity purchase for them. My only beef with Dolan is carrying the Devils and Islanders on MSG Network. Destroys the rivalry for me, especially with the hybrid broadcasts during those games.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Dolan is a good owner...that is bad.
He's definitely a jerk. And an ego maniac. But is he really a bad owner?

He has never balked at putting money into his team. He allowed Glen Sather to pay Wade Redden millions of dollars to play minor league hockey. He built a state-of-the-art training center in Westchester. And by all accounts lets the teams treat their players well.

Reactions: Hire Sather

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
He's the worst NBA owner and it's not even close. Their record over the last 20 years or so is incomprehensibly bad.

It can't get worse there.

With the Rangers, he's been chasing glory to a certain similar extent but with better results. I'm fine with him as a hockey owner, but it wouldn't shock me (if he keeps the team) to be much less interested in this long-term rebuild that people want to admit.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
He's definitely a jerk. And an ego maniac. But is he really a bad owner?

He has never balked at putting money into his team. He allowed Glen Sather to pay Wade Redden millions of dollars to play minor league hockey. He built a state-of-the-art training center in Westchester. And by all accounts lets the teams treat their players well.
No...I meant that it is bad that he's considering selling the teams...I like Dolan as an owner...sometimes he gives his guys too long a leash but he's one of the best owners in sports.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Also the Rangers were good because of Lundqvist, since it's the very early part of the bad years, people think Dolan runs or let's the team be run well.

It's just a narrative. Nothing really changed internally.

The approach of the GM changed in 2004. Dolan generally lets Sather, and by extension, Gorton do what he wants. It was the same with Neil Smith. Another owner might not give his President and GM that latitude. Dolan certainly doesn't allow the Knicks exec that same latitude. It's exactly what you want in an owner: someone who will have an essentially unlimited checkbook, but will let the hockey people do their thing without much interference from him.

All Star Game was at MSG twice, and they never held the draft at MSG since it's inception.

Before Dolan owned the team, people in the blue seats thought Bettman had a bad relationship with the Rangers "because of a prejudice against New Yorkers".

That's why he had to be booed before giving Messier the cup.

Both ASGs were before the Dolans owned the team and the entry draft only stopped being in Montreal every year in 85, less than 10 years before the Dolans owned the team. It's certainly possible that the Rangers have never put themselves out there to get them... however after the renovations, it's somewhat surprising they haven't had an ASG.

Dolan has had several well-documented run-ins with Bettman and the BoG about things like keeping control of the team's website design. There's at least a level of low-key animosity there.

Reactions: Lias Andersson

effen

Feb 3, 2018
Unless I'm the one owning it, keep Dolan. Great hockey owner. Knows he doesn't know anything, stays far the f*** away. Perfect.

Reactions: UnSandvich

Bob Richards

Mr. Mojo Risin'
Feb 9, 2011
Jersey
Dolan is a sack of shit human being and actual cancer to the Knicks

but as the Rangers owner I'm content with him. Signs checks and minds his own business. I wish some of my other teams' sports owners did that lmao

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Michael Kay did a rare interview with him a few years back and actually asked him some good questions. It definitely seemed to me like Dolan has no interest in messing around with what Sather and Gorton are doing. I think he knows he doesn't know hockey and that's a major factor in his favor.

ElLeetch

Mar 28, 2018
Would be one of the worst things to happen to the Rangers.

We spend to the cap and players always regard us as a class organization that they love to play for.

I know it's popular to hate Dolan but the Rangers are the one team I root for where ownership is strong and I really hope he keeps the team.

This. Dolan spends money, and doesnt get involved in the day-to-day of the team. You can't ask for much more than that.

Reactions: bernmeister

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
The approach of the GM changed in 2004. Dolan generally lets Sather, and by extension, Gorton do what he wants. It was the same with Neil Smith. Another owner might not give his President and GM that latitude. Dolan certainly doesn't allow the Knicks exec that same latitude. It's exactly what you want in an owner: someone who will have an essentially unlimited checkbook, but will let the hockey people do their thing without much interference from him.

Both ASGs were before the Dolans owned the team and the entry draft only stopped being in Montreal every year in 85, less than 10 years before the Dolans owned the team. It's certainly possible that the Rangers have never put themselves out there to get them... however after the renovations, it's somewhat surprising they haven't had an ASG.

Dolan has had several well-documented run-ins with Bettman and the BoG about things like keeping control of the team's website design. There's at least a level of low-key animosity there.

Meh...they just hate New Yorkaz

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
It's such a strange situation that every Rangers fan should be against this idea and every Knicks fan should be for it. I have no idea what fans of both do.
Don't speak on behalf of everyone, but I would love this.

The impact Dolan has on the Knicks franchise can't be stated enough. Him leaving the organization will bring a renowned hope that this team can provide a sustainable product like the Lakers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad