#BarrieWatch Thread Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

BK Avs

Nov 29, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
When will the official number be decided? Later today, or will the mediator take some time to go over everything?

Also, is there any chance that in or right after the meeting the two sides could come to a longer term agreement? Like, before the official arbitration number is decided?

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Yeah both parties should have an idea of where the mediator is leaning after the meeting. Agreeing to 2 years at that amount the 3rd RFA year up 500k and 2 UFA years up 1m and 1.5m could be a basis of a deal.

So... something like 5.25 - 5.25 - 5.75 - 6.25 - 6.75

Maybe stupid question but so the arbiter asks questions? It's not more of a side A presents their case and then side B does.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
When will the official number be decided? Later today, or will the mediator take some time to go over everything?

Also, is there any chance that in or right after the meeting the two sides could come to a longer term agreement? Like, before the official arbitration number is decided?

48 hours I think.

Yes that has happened before.

Avs

Bozak + 2nd
Feb 9, 2013
Illinois

From my understanding, the number can be announced anytime after the hearing within 48 hours.

And yes, they can still come to an agreement before the arbitrator decides anything.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Very disappointed that it got to this point. I know a deal can still be reached after but I highly doubt that happens. If they couldn't come to an agreement by now I highly doubt the odds improve after the Avalanche pick apart every flaw Tyson has.

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
Poor Tyson, will have to sit there and listen to how terrible defensively he is and how ideally he should be on the third pair and on the PP only.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Maybe stupid question but so the arbiter asks questions? It's not more of a side A presents their case and then side B does.

Each side presents their case, but the arbiter will ask for clarification and there will be some discussion. Both sides should know where everybody stands after the hearing. Maybe not an exact amount (though it might be hinted), but in the general area.

Hell, we kind of know this will fall somewhere in the middle in the 5-5.25 range.

lonelybadger

Feb 22, 2013
Toronto
I want to be surprised it got here but I am not. Sakic knows he will get 2 years of Barrie for less than he is asking for, and if he continues to be an offensive stud he will justify a higher salary or he will inflate his trade value.

It's a win for Sakic no matter what. Why overpay when you don't have to?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
The third RFA year is really the whole issue here. If Barrie could have been a UFA after this arbitration, this is a totally different negotiation. The Avs would cave much easier. Having the last RFA year gave the Avs power and flexibility in this. IMO if you are going to trade Barrie, it is best to do it after you know what Zadorov and Bigras are. That could be next summer, it could be 2018.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
I had a feeling and said it would get here.

Sakic got burned by giving ROR the arbitration avoidance deal with less favorable comparables. I didn't think he'd do that again, especially with that extra RFA year in his pocket.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Worst case scenario right there. It was either sign him long term or trade him for maximum haul while dmen value was sky high and he still had 3 RFA years left.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Worst case scenario right there. It was either sign him long term or trade him for maximum haul while dmen value was sky high and he still had 3 RFA years left.

His value will stay sky high... as long as a team has a year to sign him, they will pay a big time price.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Duchene, EJ, Landy, MacKinnon, and Varly all had very smooth non confrontational negotiations on fair, big money, long term deals.

ROR held out, played in Russian, and signed an offer sheet during his 2nd contract. Then took until the last day before arbitration to settle on a huge player friendly deal on his 3rd contract, that paid him the highest salary on the team and gave him UFA status at the earliest possible point.

Barrie has waited until September, within a week of holding out on his 2nd contract, and now looks to be the only player so far this summer that can't come to a deal with his team, and goes to arbitration instead.

It's so blatantly obvious that the only players that have trouble signing with the Avs are Newport clients. I don't know why these guys are so easily talked into treating hockey like mercenaries.

Avs44

May 16, 2011

His value won't go down for at least a full year. He's going to be signed on a nice cap hit for two years, and he'll still be an RFA afterward.

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
Duchene, EJ, Landy, MacKinnon, and Varly all had very smooth non confrontational negotiations on fair, big money, long term deals.

ROR held out, played in Russian, and signed an offer sheet during his 2nd contract. Then took until the last day before arbitration to settle on a huge player friendly deal on his 3rd contract, that paid him the highest salary on the team and gave him UFA status at the earliest possible point.

Barrie has waited until September, within a week of holding out on his 2nd contract, and now looks to be the only player so far this summer that can't come to a deal with his team, and goes to arbitration instead.

It's so blatantly obvious that the only players that have trouble signing with the Avs are Newport clients. I don't know why these guys are so easily talked into treating hockey like mercenaries.

Snif, snif.

As if you know what the Avs offered him.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
His value won't go down for at least a full year. He's going to be signed on a nice cap hit for two years, and he'll still be an RFA afterward.

IMO it won't go down until he is within a year of being a UFA. Anytime before July 1st, 2018, Barrie's value will be the same or more than it is now (only case I see it going down is due to injury). As long as a team has a chance to sign the player to a long-term extension, they will pay up. Buffalo did with ROR, somebody would do it for Barrie.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
IMO it won't go down until he is within a year of being a UFA. Anytime before July 1st, 2018, Barrie's value will be the same or more than it is now (only case I see it going down is due to injury). As long as a team has a chance to sign the player to a long-term extension, they will pay up. Buffalo did with ROR, somebody would do it for Barrie.

They did what? Ask any other board who won the ROR trade.

Value of player with 3 RFA years >>>>>>>> same player with 1 RFA year

petbil

Apr 11, 2013
Poor Tyson, will have to sit there and listen to how terrible defensively he is and how ideally he should be on the third pair and on the PP only.

Agreed, I don't think this hearing is any good for Barrie's fragile confidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad