Barrie Colts 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part One)

OHLColtsPuck

Aug 31, 2022
Congratulations to Riley Patterson on earning the Gord Bones Memorial Trophy for the most improved Colt! Well deserved Riley!

1710525879156.png

Chawbadoo07

Nov 2, 2013
For the love of god please get a new coach for next year. Had enough of the Marty defensive system of running around in own zone all night long hoping goalie stands on his head every night .I know this is a rebuilding year but def zone is a nightmare every year with this guy and the worst pk in the league by a far margin

Last edited:

Jimmy582

Feb 5, 2023
Been a tough week of hockey so far for the colts. Gonna be a quick playoff series vs whoever they end up playing. Really hope the colts decide to buy next year and go for it. Selling out games with this squad is a huge credit to the fans and they deserve better teams to cheer for

Reactions: OHLColtsPuck

Jimmy582

Feb 5, 2023
I’ve never seen a team so snake bit in my life lmao Marty’s special teams is a joke

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
For the love of god please get a new coach for next year. Had enough of the Marty defensive system of running around in own zone all night long hoping goalie stands on his head every night .I know this is a rebuilding year but def zone is a nightmare every year with this guy and the worst pk in the league by a far margin
mary is a sales man who needs quality ast coaches around him, no clue on if thats the case now

Chawbadoo07

Nov 2, 2013
mary is a sales man who needs quality ast coaches around him, no clue on if thats the case now
Well he certainly has Howie the owner fooled. Even without talent the one thing a coach still should be able to do is install a decent defensive structure and pk. Not asking him to reinvent the wheel but with Marty every year seems to be tire fire in own zone

OHLColtsPuck

Aug 31, 2022
I think one of the issues the team has in D-zone is not the actual coverage but the fact that we lose so many D-zone draws. When you start without the puck it's difficult to get set quickly and teams capitalize with good scoring chances. That results in running around and ultimately goals against. Hopefully they add some guys who are strong in the dots next season, or work on it to improve.

Team was playing so well, bad time to hit a funk but hopefully they regroup over next few weeks and get ready for the playoffs. Would be nice to see them win a game and get that 3rd home game plus the added experience. Not expecting too much though, unless we get some horseshoes between the pipes.

Overall I'm happy with the progress our young guys have taken this season and feel the next few years the team should have a really good chance to compete!

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I think one of the issues the team has in D-zone is not the actual coverage but the fact that we lose so many D-zone draws. When you start without the puck it's difficult to get set quickly and teams capitalize with good scoring chances. That results in running around and ultimately goals against. Hopefully they add some guys who are strong in the dots next season, or work on it to improve.

Team was playing so well, bad time to hit a funk but hopefully they regroup over next few weeks and get ready for the playoffs. Would be nice to see them win a game and get that 3rd home game plus the added experience. Not expecting too much though, unless we get some horseshoes between the pipes.

Overall I'm happy with the progress our young guys have taken this season and feel the next few years the team should have a really good chance to compete!
Schedule has been brutal, and Tues, Wed, Fri, Sat on tap

Chawbadoo07

Nov 2, 2013

If they losing most of the face offs in their own zone it should be easy for them to figure out where they should be as they should be used to doing it over and over again. This isn't a 1 year thing with this coach this is an every year thing even when better talent was here

OHLColtsPuck

Aug 31, 2022
If they losing most of the face offs in their own zone it should be easy for them to figure out where they should be as they should be used to doing it over and over again. This isn't a 1 year thing with this coach this is an every year thing even when better talent was here
I'm not saying they should be able to figure out where they need to be - just stating it is difficult for any team to defend when draws are lost. A clean draw lost in your end gives the other team time and space to execute set plays for good scoring chances. Any good scoring chance will cause even the best defensive teams to get out of position and scramble.

Not saying anything about you being incorrect about Marty/coaching either - I was just making a point about the lost faceoffs impacting our D-zone play that's all.

I do like the development of the young lads though, not sure if that is Marty/coaching. I will judge a lot more closely next season, because I think the team has the talent to be competitive next year.

One thing I will say is that Marty shouldn't hold both roles of GM/Coach, I think they miss out on good opportunities on both ends because he is spread too thin. Pick one thing and execute to 100%.

mouse29

May 28, 2019
No longer a fan of the Colts and especially Marty Williamson, but your comment is dead wrong

Jimmy582

Feb 5, 2023
How so explain?

Don’t tell me howie is so luxurious owner cause he’s not players don’t even get to keep there equipment after they move on or get traded away new players come in and use the previous players equipment it’s a joke

Jimmy582

Feb 5, 2023
Nice to see a win last night Barrie played pretty well should have won in regulation if it wasn’t for Robertson playing unbelievable vs the colts once again

OHLColtsPuck

Aug 31, 2022
I missed the game last night, can't believe the team made it close with Niagara after losing to them last week. But sounds like Barrie played better than the score sheet showed so I'll take that

Jimmy582

Feb 5, 2023
Will be interesting to see who the colts take as OA’s next year I would assume it’ll be Jelsma and York for sure then after that for the last spot I think if they plan to be a competitive team trading for a D or a better winger than Wigle or Jodoin to play with Jelsma would be best for the team

WorkHardEveryShift

Aug 23, 2021
Been a tough week of hockey so far for the colts. Gonna be a quick playoff series vs whoever they end up playing. Really hope the colts decide to buy next year and go for it. Selling out games with this squad is a huge credit to the fans and they deserve better teams to cheer for

This team has no depth. Outside of Jelsma, Beaudoin, Patterson and Aitcheson there isn't a whole lot to carry this team into a championship run next year. There would have to be a whole lot of buying.

I think they were in a better position to make a run this year before the sell off and injury to Akey.

I think that's what frustrates fans. The management of the roster in a year which you started with roster strength and just needed to add a few pieces instead of selling.

Jimmy582

Feb 5, 2023
This team has no depth. Outside of Jelsma, Beaudoin, Patterson and Aitcheson there isn't a whole lot to carry this team into a championship run next year. There would have to be a whole lot of buying.

I think they were in a better position to make a run this year before the sell off and injury to Akey.

I think that's what frustrates fans. The management of the roster in a year which you started with roster strength and just needed to add a few pieces instead of selling.
Well first off Barrie owns the 5 pick in the draft so that should be a good player right away. You’ll be getting akey back next year which will be huge once he was out year long and Sale wasn’t what u thought he was on North American ice they didn’t have bunch choice but to sell. There’s also no imports on the team right now so adding 2 imports hopefully one being nygard will make a big difference aswell. With a few trades I think they can be pretty competitive next season if it’s managed correctly which is a big if. Barrie has a lot of bubble players they have to make decisions on next year too.

Reactions: dirty12

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
Well first off Barrie owns the 5 pick in the draft so that should be a good player right away. You’ll be getting akey back next year which will be huge once he was out year long and Sale wasn’t what u thought he was on North American ice they didn’t have bunch choice but to sell. There’s also no imports on the team right now so adding 2 imports hopefully one being nygard will make a big difference aswell. With a few trades I think they can be pretty competitive next season if it’s managed correctly which is a big if. Barrie has a lot of bubble players they have to make decisions on next year too.
Be thankful you don’t have a GM like our Wolves have.Look what he did to our team, first before the trade deadline to sixth now.

Jimmy582

Feb 5, 2023
A super early look at the team next year if everything went perfectly would look like

Trade04/05 Jelsma Nygard
York Beaudoin Patterson
Stewart 1st rounder Moses
Newton Grisolia/Morey Derbidge
Lowe 2nd rounder Dubowsky/Harmon

Aitcheson Akey
Brauti Trade04/05
Tiller Import?/ Passmore
Scott/Handsor 2nd rounder

Hillebrandt
Hrebik

That team would look pretty good but thats a huge if and a lot would have to happen but possibly at least

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

I don't think it was realistic to believe the colts would have added this season after trading away Hache for a younger D in addition to aquiring two 17 yr old forwards which left the team with a pick deficit.
In the central, North Bay was the team to beat and Sudbury was all-in all the way. There was a chance both Barrie and Missassauga could both finish 4-6 if everything went right, but Akey was injured early and Sale was not quite as advertised.
Selling was the right decision imo.

Jimmy582

Feb 5, 2023
sure was an ugly one can’t give up 13 in any league but whenever 27 51 88 was on for Sudbury it was a goal last night there so much better than anyone on Barrie it’s ridiculous

WorkHardEveryShift

Aug 23, 2021
Last night was a example of the lack of depth. Defensibly not good. Without Jelsma not much going on. I think it's 2-3 years before this team will challenge

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Last night was a example of the lack of depth. Defensibly not good. Without Jelsma not much going on. I think it's 2-3 years before this team will challenge
I think the colts will be alright next season, and among the top contenders for the following two seasons.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $365.00