Barrie Colts 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part One)

Rattler

Sep 2, 2022
Neutral here, but what a steal by refs. Ref should've called it when he saw it in. That's his job at that moment, whether puck crossed line or not. And afterwards, I don't see reason why it would be called back, as clearly whistle went on after puck was in. Can't believe, they wouldn't let teams decide on ice.

Jimmy582

Feb 5, 2023
Neutral here, but what a steal by refs. Ref should've called it when he saw it in. That's his job at that moment, whether puck crossed line or not. And afterwards, I don't see reason why it would be called back, as clearly whistle went on after puck was in. Can't believe, they wouldn't let teams decide on ice.
The shitty thing for Barrie people is winning today’s game and going up 2-0 in the series was most likely Barrie’s only realistic chance to win the series and they were robbed. Could see the gens win it in 5 after todays game being so deflating for Barrie. I hope I’m wrong tho and the colts and battle at home this week.

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
The ref behind the net clearly waved the alleged goal off - - and based on how badly disproportionate the calls were in favour of Barrie all game, there’s really nothing for the Colts to complain about.

Luke Torrance gets cut by a high stick and it gets waved off because of “follow through” but then Beckett Sennecke gets called when he and a Barrie player both swing at a puck in the air.

The two instigator penalties on Oshawa were terrible, especially the second one against David Bedkowski.

Inexplicable how Barrie wasn’t called for goalie interference when they cross checked Jake Oster in the 2nd period.

I‘ll definitely give Barrie credit for battling back each time Oshawa took the lead, but to claim they were “robbed” on the goal that was immediately waved off is a bit much.

Jimmy582

Feb 5, 2023
The ref behind the net clearly waved the alleged goal off - - and based on how badly disproportionate the calls were in favour of Barrie all game, there’s really nothing for the Colts to complain about.

Luke Torrance gets cut by a high stick and it gets waved off because of “follow through” but then Beckett Sennecke gets called when he and a Barrie player both swing at a puck in the air.

The two instigator penalties on Oshawa were terrible, especially the second one against David Bedkowski.

Inexplicable how Barrie wasn’t called for goalie interference when they cross checked Jake Oster in the 2nd period.

I‘ll definitely give Barrie credit for battling back each time Oshawa took the lead, but to claim they were “robbed” on the goal that was immediately waved off is a bit much.
Your defence pushed the colts into the goalie all game lmao why would they do that lol. And you’re delusional if you think the high stick follow through from the Barrie guy was the same as the gens guy. The gens guy late in the third baseball swung the guy lmao

And if u don’t think the goal at the end of the game should have counted then I can’t help ya either

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
And if u don’t think the goal at the end of the game should have counted then I can’t help ya either

It was immediately waved off by the ref standing behind the next. I could see that clearly from the other end of the arena. At no point did any ref indicate that it was a goal.

When the call on the ice is no goal, it’s going to be pretty difficult to overturn. Especially in that circumstance today. No idea why they needed so long to review.

Just like how ridiculous it was to spend so much time reviewing Oshawa’s fifth goal. WTF were they looking at because it was not close to being a high stick.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
You can’t see the puck on the replay. There’s no way they could call it a goal based on the views available.

Will say I’m open to being convinced otherwise if someone has a frame that shows the puck clearly. I could have missed it but seemed like it was under Oster’s leg somewhere.

Last edited:

OHLColtsPuck

Aug 31, 2022
At the end of the day whether it was a goal or not a goal, hockey gods have made their decision and it doesn't matter. Best of five now. The Colts should be heading home proud winning game 1 and then taking Oshawa to the brink in game 2. Tons to build on and now if they steal one at home it will be best of 3. I'm impressed.

Jimmy582

Feb 5, 2023
You can’t see the puck on the replay. There’s no way they could call it a goal based on the views available.

Will say I’m open to being convinced otherwise if someone has a frame that shows the puck clearly. I could have missed it but seemed like it was under Oster’s leg somewhere.
On the replay u could clearly see the puck in the net during the broadcast they even pointed it out and said it was under the back bar on the overhead shot

bigsportsfan

Sep 28, 2012
I like both Barrie and Oshawa the same so I really don't care who wins the series. On the Rogers broadcast the overhead camera clearly showed the puck going into the net before the whistle was blown. They showed it twice just to be sure. Even the Oshawa announcers were surprised it was ruled a no goal. I think the OHL should explain the logic behind the no goal call as everyone watching on TV could clearly see it should have been a good goal.

yessir29292

Dec 11, 2021
It definitely was a goal. But based on the circumstances not shocked they called it off after the review. Pretty sure the whistle did go first (which is refs fault) but Oster never covered it and there never should’ve been a whistle. But if the whistle did go first they have to call it no goal while reviewing.

HUSH10

Sep 16, 2019
The officials reason for disallowing the goal is they applied rule 78.5 (xii) "Referee deems the play has been stopped, even if he had not physically had the opportunity to stop play by blowing his whistle"

Not saying the ref made the right call to consider it dead but thay was the rule that was applied

Reactions: ohloutsider

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
The officials reason for disallowing the goal is they applied rule 78.5 (xii) "Referee deems the play has been stopped, even if he had not physically had the opportunity to stop play by blowing his whistle"

Not saying the ref made the right call to consider it dead but thay was the rule that was applied
Sounds like a rule made up by the league to let the ref off the hook. Strange rule. Not much one can do to argue against it though after the game is over.

Reactions: sbpointer

Jimmy582

Feb 5, 2023
U could see the ref talking to the guys upstairs watching the replay telling them that he supposedly “meant to blow the whistle earlier”. If they counted the goal it would have looked worse on the ref so they kept the play on the ice the same.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

Rule 0-0 (oh): the replay is to determine if the call was right or wrong, not to determine the referees intent to blow the whistle.

In this case, should the whistle have been blown.

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
Sounds like a rule made up by the league to let the ref off the hook. Strange rule. Not much one can do to argue against it though after the game is over.

Exactly.

Putting a bunch of numbers and letters together trying to sound like a lawyer while babbling about some “rule” is cringeworthy.

It’s pointless to keep rambling on about the first two games. Both teams have had fortuitous breaks so far and now it time to move onto game 3.

I’m looking forward to the trip up to Barrie, should be a fantastic atmosphere in a hostile environment. Hopefully it’s a sell out, but there’s still quite a few tickets remaining.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Rule 0-0 (oh): the replay is to determine if the call was right or wrong, not to determine the referees intent to blow the whistle.

In this case, should the whistle have been blown.
Answer: Ref screwed the pooch. Goal should have counted. The game of hockey is getting complicated. 2 Refs plus 2 linesmen can't keep up with the pace. Everything is on hold for reviews constantly. Coaches ask for reviews of obvious goals just to play head games with the opposition. Players all rub there chins digging for blood even if they feel a breeze. They all lay on the ice like they are pole axed trying to garner 5 minute penalties. Really no need for a time out anymore. With kids cleaning the ice every 10 minutes and all the other delays they should install a players lounge beside the benches. Takes forever to get through one period. Refs are really 2nd hand citizens with no real power. It's the guy in the sky calling the shots wherever that is.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Exactly.

Putting a bunch of numbers and letters together trying to sound like a lawyer while babbling about some “rule” is cringeworthy.

It’s pointless to keep rambling on about the first two games. Both teams have had fortuitous breaks so far and now it time to move onto game 3.

I’m looking forward to the trip up to Barrie, should be a fantastic atmosphere in a hostile environment. Hopefully it’s a sell out, but there’s still quite a few tickets remaining.
Donnie you are correct. All we are is just a bunch of shit house HF lawyers. I know I am. Hoping my rambling BS sticks to the barn door. 😊 if we didn't have each other we talk to ourselves.

Forecheck1

May 19, 2023
A) The Ref did not waive the goal off at anytime - this is clear on the broadcast

B) If the league has any integrity - it is a Good hockey Goal - regardless of the refs ideas in his head to blow a whistle ( which he did not )

C) That Ref should not ref CHL hockey again!! He is either incompetent or a cheater or both.

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
A) The Ref did not waive the goal off at anytime - this is clear on the broadcast

They may not have shown it on the television broadcast, but for those in attendance it was very clear.

I can assure you the ref directly behind the net waved it off THREE (3) times. Which is why it was going to be extremely difficult to overturn the call on the ice.

sbpointer

Sep 15, 2014
Budweiser Gardens
Went back and watched this goal on CHLTV because of all the reading I've done about it and man it seems like a 100% good goal to me. The replay they show with audio the puck is in the net long before you hear the whistle. How long do they get to intend to blow before they actually blow it???
That was a wild one...

OHLColtsPuck

Aug 31, 2022

Over the past few seasons weeknight games have only been about 65-75% capacity. I'm hopeful it will sell out before the puck drops tomorrow since it's playoffs though.

We have to miss the game due to other commitments but I gave up our seats to ensure they aren't empty! Going to miss it, hope the crowd is loud & the game is as entertaining as the first two games! Go Colts!

Jimmy582

Feb 5, 2023
Wonder if Marty stays with hilly or goes to west I feel u have to ride hilly now but will see. Would also like to see bode Stewart get more ice time even if that’s playing on the line with Jelsma he can really skate and he scored a great goal in game 2.

Forecheck1

May 19, 2023
They may not have shown it on the television broadcast, but for those in attendance it was very clear.

I can assure you the ref directly behind the net waved it off THREE (3) times. Which is why it was going to be extremely difficult to overturn the call on the ice.
I watched the replay multiple times on CHL TV - HE DID NOT WAIVE THE GOAL OFF AT ANYTIME. If you have the resource to watch the replay you will see this

OHLColtsPuck

Aug 31, 2022
Wonder if Marty stays with hilly or goes to west I feel u have to ride hilly now but will see. Would also like to see bode Stewart get more ice time even if that’s playing on the line with Jelsma he can really skate and he scored a great goal in game 2.
I'm sure he's going with Hillebrandt, I would be surprised otherwise. I like Wigle there better than Stewart, he brings more speed to keep up with Jelsma and more strength as an older player but that was a nice goal & hopefully Stewart can step up again tonight!

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00