Barrie Colts 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part One)

HF92

Oct 14, 2017
SSM
www.facebook.com
what remarks? Did a Soo fan I have ignored comment?
Ok this is making more sense now.. I’m seeing a lot of replies around the time I comment, that are actually replies to a certain someone I’ve had ignored for a while. Just unignored them for a second and the entire conversation changed lol you should do it too, you’ll be better off. I’m going to assume some of the things that I’ve read, I’ve read out context when you reply to him lol

@dirty12

bigsportsfan

Sep 28, 2012
Colts are the new Ice Dogs.

The IceDogs will always have the Colts beat there. The IceDogs only have 13 forwards and 6 defencemen on the roster now. And no matter how bad the trade is, at least the Colts aren't giving draft picks to London to accept and then release players the Colts don't want so London has to pay the scholarship costs instead of the Colts. :)

Reactions: HF92

WorkHardEveryShift

Aug 23, 2021
The IceDogs will always have the Colts beat there. The IceDogs only have 13 forwards and 6 defencemen on the roster now. And no matter how bad the trade is, at least the Colts aren't giving draft picks to London to accept and then release players the Colts don't want so London has to pay the scholarship costs instead of the Colts. :)

Seems the Colts' are just as dysfunctional. GM making dumb trades. Players not reporting. And players walking away. And the Colts have an arena that's falling apart without a city to support them

OHLColtsPuck

Aug 31, 2022
Hopefully no wrong doing on anyone's part. I can completely understand why an OA would not want to relocate here after seeing what moves were done. Especially when he would have been looking forward to competing for an OHL title in his final year of service. It would have been deflating to say the least.

I attended the game on Saturday night, missed the first period but caught the 2nd/3rd. Congrats to Jelsma for being named Captain, well deserved! Surprised they threw and A on newcomer Stewart. I believe the line combos were:

Stewart-Jelsma-Patterson
York-Beaudoin-Jodoin
Lowe-Newton-Moses
Debridge-Wigle-Morey

Aitcheson-Tiller
Brauti-Stewart
Scott-Passmore?

A few comments:
-Seems like the ice time is going to be spread around quite a bit for the rest of the season, a great opportunity for some of the young guys to impress.
-Colts had a lot of trouble winning draws, especially in the D-zone.
-I like Jelsma better on the wing then at C
-Aitcheston/Beaudoin/Stewart/Patterson/Moses/Brauti are a great core to build around.
-Lowe looked pretty good with a bit more ice. I liked the Newton/Lowe/Moses line.
-Colts showed a lot of hustle and grit for a team that most have counted out
-Colts launched thier best attempt at a comeback, it was an entertaining two periods to watch
-O'Brien was impressive for a rookie, he seems to have a lot of vision and poise with the puck
-Lardis wasn't on the ice for Brantford. I was disappointed to miss him- maybe he was injured?

SSMHoundsFan

Greyhounds/FlamesFan
Dec 30, 2014
Sault Ste. Marie, ON
How old is the arena. Surly not as old the barn in suds
Pretty sure the Sadlon is early to mid 2000s, it was built earlier than the arena in the GFL in the Soo which was built in mid 2000s, as Im pretty sure they modelled the GFL after the arenas in Barrie and Kingston

Seems the Colts' are just as dysfunctional. GM making dumb trades. Players not reporting. And players walking away. And the Colts have an arena that's falling apart without a city to support them
and fans think that Moore will report after being traded to the Colts...

Sounds like the sound system needs some fixing up:

OHLColtsPuck

Aug 31, 2022
The city has been pondering a potential upgrade to Sadlon Arena for a few years now. Adding more seats and upgrading existing is required to bring in more. The challenge is that they didn't build it to correct capacity initially. As a season's ticket holder and huge fan of the CHL I hope they get this done as it could bring in a chance to bid for the Mem cup once completed. As a Barrie Resident it could also bring in more attractive live concert/performances which would be great for the city as well.

OHLColtsPuck

Aug 31, 2022
I was at the game again last night vs. the Wolves although I really only caught the first period, which the colts played really well. I'm not sure how things broke down in 2nd and 3rd but my guess is just overall depth of the wolves took over.

Power play looked really good, Beaudoin had an absolute beauty 1T off of a laser pass from Jelsma.

Brauti is really coming along nicely. He has a bit of everything in his game. I hope he brings it in the off season, works really hard and can become an impact player next season.

Note on the Wolves - I don't think they are going anywhere this season, no offense. A lot of bickering on the bench between players, players and coaches and coaches and coaches, they just don't seem like a team of brothers to me. Maybe it was just an off night for them but if that is a usual occurrence, I just can't see it working out.

OHLColtsPuck

Aug 31, 2022
Went to the game last night vs. the Attack. Carter George hadn't returned from Moncton, so I was disappointed not to see him play but the colts sure were happy coming up with 7 goals! Another solid performance from Hilldebrant. Not a lot of ice for the kid line but they put in some good work and Newton got his first OHL Tally as well so that's nice to see, congrats to him! Brauti really impressed me again, his skating, compete level and defending have been good - he is coming along really well.

Also nice to see Barrie Boy Jake Crawford getting some ice in the first for the Attack. I thought he looked good when he was out there and think he's going to turn into a nice player for OS as he matures.

Reactions: CanuckistanFlyerfan

OHLColtsPuck

Aug 31, 2022
Attended last night's game vs. the Gennies and the return of Connor Punnett. Was actually thankful the colts didn't score on the penalty Punnett took with 2mins left in the 3rd of a 2-2 game. Gens fans, how has Punnett done for your squad since coming over at the deadline?

Hildebrandt with another beauty game, completely held us in the 1st facing 20 first period shots.

Enjoyed watching Ritchie for the gens, very smart, heads up creative offensive player.

Aitcheson and 73 for Gennies was a fun matchup all game, same with Brauti and Sennecke battling it out.

Moses dropped the gloves with Giant Ryan Roebreck lol. A bit of a size mismatch but that could be said for anyone vs. that behemoth.

Jelsma played one of his better games flying all over the ice, missed the net on a few good opportunities.

Wigle playing well with more ice time. I think he will be a key contributor as an OA next season.

Awesome to see the Barn packed on Saturday nights this season! Also nice to be able to pay for concessions with a card finally!!! This team is competing hard like they want that final playoff spot. Even if it's 4 or 5 and out, a playoff series will be good experience for this young group.

Keep up the good work Colts, this has been a lot of fun when I had originally thought it was going to be a crapshow

OHLColtsPuck

Aug 31, 2022
Home Vs. Away this season is interesting.

Home record 15-8-1 (Wins include 2 OT wins and 4 shootout wins). Team is +19 at home.
Away record 4-16-2 (no OT wins, both OT lost in OT). Team is -47 on the road.

I wonder what gives on the road? Team has to look at this and wonder what they can do better to get ready for road games. Something to look at for sure next season.

Also, looking at the standings and it looks like the boys are a few points up on PBO for final playoff spot with a few games in hand now. Whoever they play, getting this group into a playoff round will be great for their development rather than going in next season without that experience. Even if it's 4 or 5 and out. What are your thoughts? Prefer to send the boys to the golf course early and get in the lottery or battle it out for a few games and gain the experience? I lean towards the latter.

Jimmy582

Feb 5, 2023
I think the long bus rides on the day of games doesn’t help much. some teams in this league bus the day before if it’s more than a 2 hour ride. Ideally 8th seed and the 5th pick in the draft would be great. Colts also have flint and Owen sounds 2nd’s so those will also be top 30 picks

OHLColtsPuck

Aug 31, 2022
Entertaining game last night vs. the memorial cup hosts! Colts have been fun to watch down the stretch. Looking forward to seeing what they have Saturday vs. the 67's. Pretty tough schedule for the next few weeks!

Jimmy582

Feb 5, 2023
With the colts strong 06 core getting akey back next year having Hillebrandt in net and possibly bringing over a couple imports next year this team should be good for the next few years. I think next year your OA’s should be Jelsma, York and then probably trade for a D Man like a McCoy in Sudbury to really make the D core strong next year.

Jimmy582

Feb 5, 2023
Be interesting to see what the colts do in the off season tho got a lot of bubble players that could be traded or sent down

OHLColtsPuck

Aug 31, 2022

Really has appeared to find his way with the extra ice time and responsibilities.
He's on a bit of a tear the last 8 games with 8 goals and 8 assists.
Thought when the trade happened that the Colts may have overpaid and he's changed my mind so far in the 2nd half.
He definitely has a knack for finding the puck in scoring areas. I think a lot of his success comes from 29's tenacity though. They are going to make a dynamic duo for hopefully the next two years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad