Barrie Colts 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part One)

Jimmy582

Feb 5, 2023
I'm sure he's going with Hillebrandt, I would be surprised otherwise. I like Wigle there better than Stewart, he brings more speed to keep up with Jelsma and more strength as an older player but that was a nice goal & hopefully Stewart can step up again tonight!
I’d make the top line Jelsma Wigle and Stewart. Morey is a smart player but isn’t a very good skater he’d be better on this team as a 3rd liner type player

Reactions: OHLColtsPuck

OHLColtsPuck

Aug 31, 2022
I’d make the top line Jelsma Wigle and Stewart. Morey is a smart player but isn’t a very good skater he’d be better on this team as a 3rd liner type player
I've kinda liked the look of Morey there, he has surprised me a bit. Bold move to test things out in the playoffs. But I see your point, Stewart has more offensive upside than Morey for sure.

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
I watched the replay multiple times on CHL TV - HE DID NOT WAIVE THE GOAL OFF AT ANYTIME. If you have the resource to watch the replay you will see this

It’s unfortunate that it wasn’t shown on television, but everyone who attended the game in person could see the ref behind the net waving it off immediately.

They even showed the replay on the jumbotron a few times with the ref waving it off.

The refs were God-awful in Game 2. Barrie fans complaining about the disallowed goal seem to be forgetting about the 4min high sticking penalty that was inexplicably overturned.

Hockey Canada Rule 9.5a is very clear that it should have been a penalty.

IMG_1236.jpeg

Rule 60 of the NHL rulebook also shows that it should have definitely been a penalty.

IMG_1237.jpeg

Barrie player swung his stick, completely missed the puck and ended his “follow through” with the blade above everyone’s head.

An obvious missed call, but if the team plays well enough the refs won’t be in a position to make a decision that influences the outcome.

Forecheck1

May 19, 2023
The ref put his hands above his head to signify the plays was stopped ( like he was under aresst type of action ... )Waiving the goal off would be hands to the side and waiving them to signify NO Goal - Its to bad you don't have access to the CHL broadcast - it is very clear -- regardless the series is 1-1 and there was no guarantee that Barrie would have won the game in OT ..

My original point was it was clearly a good goal or should have been regardless of anything else ( refs interpretation etc )

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
If the ref intended to blow the whistle, and the ref intended to wave off the goal 3 times, who are we to question the call?

Jimmy582

Feb 5, 2023
I've kinda liked the look of Morey there, he has surprised me a bit. Bold move to test things out in the playoffs. But I see your point, Stewart has more offensive upside than Morey for sure.
Marty must listen to the board cause he’s got Stewart with Jelsma and Wigle tonight lol

I'm sure he's going with Hillebrandt, I would be surprised otherwise. I like Wigle there better than Stewart, he brings more speed to keep up with Jelsma and more strength as an older player but that was a nice goal & hopefully Stewart can step up again tonight!
And he’s starting west in net lmao

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
I can’t believe they’re starting West instead of Hillebrandt. That’s mistake for Barrie - - Hillebrant has played well against Oshawa all season.

Jimmy582

Feb 5, 2023
I can’t believe they’re starting West instead of Hillebrandt. That’s mistake for Barrie - - Hillebrant has played well against Oshawa all season.
I agree both if u can get both goalies playing well it’s always nice to have. If Oster we’re to get injured Oshawa would be in big trouble

Jimmy582

Feb 5, 2023
I know both called were most likely the right call but wow could the colts get any less luck. Half a stride on both reviews and the colts are up 2-1. West playing well and Oster struggling but unfortunately it feels whenever the colts take a pentaly it’s a goal almost automatically it’s crazy

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
I know both called were most likely the right call but wow could the colts get any less luck. Half a stride on both reviews and the colts are up 2-1. West playing well and Oster struggling but unfortunately it feels whenever the colts take a pentaly it’s a goal almost automatically it’s crazy

I’m 12 rows up just inside the Oshawa blue line and I could see it was offside. No idea how the linesman missed it.

Jimmy582

Feb 5, 2023
I’d be shocked if the colts win another game this series. This game is going how I thought the first 2 would. Gens might get to 70 shots tonight lol

OHLColtsPuck

Aug 31, 2022
Well, hopefully they show better in game 4. I missed this one, I'll be there Thursday and then going to game 5 in the Shwa.

Not sure why you would play West, must be a respect thing for the OA. I hope Hillebrandt plays Thurs.

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
This was an absolute massacre - - the 5-1 score flattered Barrie. Generals needed this one and they played much better than they did in the first two games at home.

Surprising to see so many empty seats, especially after the split in Oshawa.

OHLColtsPuck

Aug 31, 2022
This was an absolute massacre - - the 5-1 score flattered Barrie. Generals needed this one and they played much better than they did in the first two games at home.

Maybe the colts didn't play as well? That's my guess. Also guessing you'll see a different team Friday. We're bringing the split back to the Shwa & will pack the Barn on Thursday!

Jimmy582

Feb 5, 2023

Oshawa should be blowing out the colts they aren’t a good team they have 1 OA playing most nights unless west plays in net and no imports u can’t expect them to be able to do much when 3/4 of their best players are 06’s

And it’s a Tuesday night for a 8th seeded team the fans know there’s not much hope

yessir29292

Dec 11, 2021
Oshawa should be blowing out the colts they aren’t a good team they have 1 OA playing most nights unless west plays in net and no imports u can’t expect them to be able to do much when 3/4 of their best players are 06’s

And it’s a Tuesday night for a 8th seeded team the fans know there’s not much hope
Gens and Colts have the same average age

yessir29292

Dec 11, 2021
well if we’re talking about kids that actually play Oshawa is older. The 4th line on Oshawa literally doesn’t play whatsoever with a lot of their younger players
Every General player will be in the OHL next year except their OAs. Gens are built on 05s and 06s, they’re a young team.

HUSH10

Sep 16, 2019
Every General player will be in the OHL next year except their OAs. Gens are built on 05s and 06s, they’re a young team.
correct. Rolofs, Punnett and Lockhart are gone. The rest will return. Oshawa likely to trade D'Amato or Torrence as they have 4 04s on the roster. my guess is D'Amato.

This team was built for next year but are performing a year ahead of schedule

Jimmy582

Feb 5, 2023
Agree but the 06/07 core of Barrie is much better than Oshawa’s and the 03/04/05 core of oshawa is much better than Barrie’s. Oshawa should be better than Barrie this year. I think next year they’ll be more evenly matched and the year after Barrie should be better. Other than sennecke and Danford Oshawa doesn’t really have much for 06’s

HUSH10

Sep 16, 2019
Agree but the 06/07 core of Barrie is much better than Oshawa’s and the 03/04/05 core of oshawa is much better than Barrie’s. Oshawa should be better than Barrie this year. I think next year they’ll be more evenly matched and the year after Barrie should be better. Other than sennecke and Danford Oshawa doesn’t really have much for 06’s
I agree that Barrie is still 2 years away, Next year, Barrie will likely be a 3rd-5th place team while Oshawa will likely be a 1st-2nd place team again. The year after that, Oshawa will be full rebuild and Barrie will be all in.

Jimmy582

Feb 5, 2023
I agree that Barrie is still 2 years away, Next year, Barrie will likely be a 3rd-5th place team while Oshawa will likely be a 1st-2nd place team again. The year after that, Oshawa will be full rebuild and Barrie will be all in.
Unless Barrie’s management f***s it up the 5th overall pick this year and what they try to do to bring in Nygard or another import will determine a lot. Barrie’s 06 core is probably the best in the league but bad management can sure mess it up but hopefully not. Unless your London or Kitchener teams have to go into rebuilds every 2-3 years

yessir29292

Dec 11, 2021
Considering the Gens didn’t pick till the 7th round in the 2020 draft I don’t know their 04 core would be better considering they haven’t traded anything of substance for an 04.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00