Injury Report: Barkov 12/28/16 (back injury), missed game 3/30/17 related?

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Search "what kinds of back problems do hockey players have" and you get a lengthy list that includes muscle tears, ligament sprains/tears, joint injuries, multiple disc related injuries (not just herniation), compression fractures, whiplash. All of these can be in the lower back, mid back, or upper back.

It's interesting to read speculation but no one seems to know what it really is, so no one really knows how much longer he'll be out or whether surgery is needed.

The big thing seems to be that it's a back injury. Not concussion. Not overtraining. A boring old back injury, which is quite common in hockey. Can be devastating but still, the more common forms are not disabling and don't cause the player to quit now or shorten their career dramatically.
I think Rowe only confirmed it was the back because it had been leaked. My speculation that it was sciatica revolves around the change from lower body injury originally to upper body recently. I doubt we will ever know exactly what the specific back injury is as teams are hush hush about that unless the type of surgery is leaked.

The only thing that matters is whether the ortho says he can play again this year. I fully expect him to get the green light unless he re-injures it working out with Sturm. Then we will have to see how long he lasts. :)

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Apparently Rowe is sick of answering questions as to their timeline. Well maybe if he gave us an actual truthful answer instead of keeping us in the dark he wouldn't have to hear it anymore

probably because they don't know when he could be back and if they give a timeline, they'll be wrong

Benched

Jan 2, 2007
probably because they don't know when he could be back and if they give a timeline, they'll be wrong

Ok then don't lie and say he's doing great and will be back in February then without reason change it to March and not say why (Huby)

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Ok then don't lie and say he's doing great and will be back in February then without reason change it to March and not say why (Huby)

maybe he was doing great when he said that he will be back in february and then had a set back? those things happen. Injuries info is always vague and timelines are almost always wrong. you know that

Benched

Jan 2, 2007
As I just tweeted...

Rowe's sick of answering ?s about 11, 16. Maybe actually tell us something other than "the timetable changed" we'd stop asking

Benched

Jan 2, 2007
maybe he was doing great when he said that he will be back in february and then had a set back? those things happen. Injuries info is always vague and timelines are almost always wrong. you know that

It's doubtful he had a setback though in regards to Huby cuz he's been skating the whole time. I really think it was a mistake and miscommunication between him and the medical staff and he can't just admit it. Rather he just acts childish and refuses to answer questions

Not becoming of an NHL coach which hopefully he isn't much longer

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
As I just tweeted...

Rowe's sick of answering ?s about 11, 16. Maybe actually tell us something other than "the timetable changed" we'd stop asking

To be fair, he was being asked pretty regularly by the media...I'd bet you'd get a bit frustrated if you were asked the same questions over and over again when you already said that Barkov had no timetable and Huberdeau was due back beginning of March. Timelines that far out don't change overnight.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
To be fair, he was being asked pretty regularly by the media...I'd bet you'd get a bit frustrated if you were asked the same questions over and over again when you already said that Barkov had no timetable and Huberdeau was due back beginning of March. Timelines that far out don't change overnight.
He got asked regularly because he gave such a wide estimation. No timetable could be tomorrow, next week, next month, months or more. He could've just said "he's out at least this long", that would've stopped the questions from flooding in until we get nearer to that date given. Surely they knew how long he is going to be out at the very least, right? Rowe loves his hyperboles, like when Yandle was out for "god knows how long" and then he played in the next game.

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
It's doubtful he had a setback though in regards to Huby cuz he's been skating the whole time. I really think it was a mistake and miscommunication between him and the medical staff and he can't just admit it. Rather he just acts childish and refuses to answer questions

Not becoming of an NHL coach which hopefully he isn't much longer

Uh no... it's all just a guess... an injury like thatdoesn't have a specific time frame and is different for everyone..

Last edited by a moderator:

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
He got asked regularly because he gave such a wide estimation. No timetable could be tomorrow, next week, next month, months or more. He could've just said "he's out at least this long", that would've stopped the questions from flooding in until we get nearer to that date given. Surely they knew how long he is going to be out at the very least, right? Rowe loves his hyperboles, like when Yandle was out for "god knows how long" and then he played in the next game.

The correct answer given by Rowe for each of the injury related questions should be "I don't know, ask the doctors" and the doctors should answer the inquiries with "that's confidential".

gcattei

Jun 23, 2015
Barkov AND Huberdeau both returned to practice per GR.

I don't know why this is news by GR, Barkov and Huberdeau have both been practicing with the team recently, but they've had the yellow no contact jerseys on. I don't believe anything has changed regarding them tho...

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Barkov skating with Jagr and Mr. Invisible. Maybe he's back next game if he feels good?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad