Barclays Center & Relocation Part VI : Belmont announcement likely this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

WagnerGrad96

Mar 30, 2016
West Islip, New York
So why the criticism of Brooklyn but none for Nassau? Again, why do you hold Brooklyn to a different standard when it comes to fan support than you do Nassau?

Because Nassau is where the team is from and where they belong.

I'd be perfectly happy with 14,000 in a 14,500 building. I'd pay a bit more for those tix if it helped make the team profitable.

There is only so many people who will get into hockey no matter what you try to do. It's a niche sport. Always has been (except in Canada of course).

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Because Nassau is where the team is from and where they belong.

Ridiculous argument. In fact, it's not even an argument. It's emotional, fanboy drivel.

The team is now in Brooklyn. There are a couple of posters here who claim that "Brooklyn is a failure." I simply question how they come to that conclusion.

They always point to attendance (yet it is the same as it was at the Coliseum). They claim that the players don't want to play there (yet we've signed more FA's since BC was announced than ever before). And they conveniently gloss over the fact that the Islanders make a lot of money by playing at BC.

It's clear that the people who hate Barclays the most are the ones who are personally inconvenienced by the move. Either the commute, higher ticket prices or a fear of/aversion to NYC.

Lord at War

Mar 27, 2017
L.I. Sound Shore
Ridiculous argument. In fact, it's not even an argument. It's emotional, fanboy drivel.

The team is now in Brooklyn. There are a couple of posters here who claim that "Brooklyn is a failure." I simply question how they come to that conclusion.

They always point to attendance (yet it is the same as it was at the Coliseum). They claim that the players don't want to play there (yet we've signed more FA's since BC was announced than ever before). And they conveniently gloss over the fact that the Islanders make a lot of money by playing at BC.

It's clear that the people who hate Barclays the most are the ones who are personally inconvenienced by the move. Either the commute, higher ticket prices or a fear of/aversion to NYC.

This discussion is regarding what is best for the franchise collectively. Lots of folks confuse their personal commute to the game for what is best for the team. Just because 10,000 fans can drive 10 mins to the
Arena does not make that the best arena for The franchise. The Islanders need to position themselves as follows:

1. Close to center of corporate powerhouse clients - must be less than 25 minute ride on subway from midtown or Wall st
2. Most position themselves in an arena where 75% of the region wide population and the NYC tourist market can reach games in about an hour, preferably via transit

If your arena solution does not meet this criteria it will only be considered as leverage on the real negotiation with the arena arrangement that does meet the criteria.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
If your arena solution does not meet this criteria it will only be considered as leverage on the real negotiation with the arena arrangement that does meet the criteria.

The Isles with Oak View is more than using leverage to negotiate with BSE - it's to be its own arena and control bookings 365 days per year.

If the Isles did not have Oak View involved, then one could conclude this is all a negotiating tactic, but based on what Oak View is building as a company and its significant alliance to the NHL - hence, you don't get to where they are w/o 'approval' from the NHL - this is much bigger than BSE/Isles. The NHL has ZERO alliance to BSE (I didn't say BC, rather BSE and its ownership), but it does with Oak View and its significant arena alliance that is going to control event bookings for a ton of arenas.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
The Isles with Oak View is more than using leverage to negotiate with BSE - it's to be its own arena and control bookings 365 days per year.

If the Isles did not have Oak View involved, then one could conclude this is all a negotiating tactic, but based on what Oak View is building as a company and its significant alliance to the NHL - hence, you don't get to where they are w/o 'approval' from the NHL - this is much bigger than BSE/Isles. The NHL has ZERO alliance to BSE (I didn't say BC, rather BSE and its ownership), but it does with Oak View and its significant arena alliance that is going to control event bookings for a ton of arenas.

That isn't correct either. Anschutz Entertainment Group is a partner with BSE. AEG currently has 1 NHL team under its banner, they own the Los Angeles Kings as well as Staples Center.

Just wanted to point that out to be fair and accurate.

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County

It's a failure because after 2 seasons the Franchise player doesn't want to play there anymore, the Barclays doesn't want the Isles there going forward, and the Isles don't want to be there going forward.

Speaking just for myself:
The tickets are cheap, i grew up in Queens and I work in NYC, The Barclays is an easy commute for me.

Lord at War

Mar 27, 2017
L.I. Sound Shore

Isn't BSE associated with the AEG arena alliance? There are several NHL teams in this alliance.

Consider this; Nassau Collisuem had three (3!) events all summer. Sat dormant the other 59 days. Izod center in Jersey was shuttered due to lack of bookings. Tell me again how the Islanders are going to make money on a suburban arena when comparable arenas are failing or have failed in this venue saturated market. It's a losing idea, Islanders should focused on building a fanbase not going into debt for an idea 30 years too late that is currently doomed to failure.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Isn't BSE associated with the AEG arena alliance? There are several NHL teams in this alliance.

Nope. Just 1 team, the LA Kings.

There were 2, but recently Prudential Center in Newark signed a deal with Oak View Group to join their arena alliance.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
It's a failure because after 2 seasons the Franchise player doesn't want to play there anymore, the Barclays doesn't want the Isles there going forward, and the Isles don't want to be there going forward.

Speaking just for myself:
The tickets are cheap, i grew up in Queens and I work in NYC, The Barclays is an easy commute for me.

Well you certainly *****ed about the commute before.

Anyway, none of the things you've mentioned in your first paragraph are true. If JT signs (like he says he wants to) he'll be playing at Barclays for another 3-4 seasons even if Belmont happens. Basically 1/2 his contract. Let's see how it all plays out before declaring "JT doesn't want to play at Barclays anymore."

As far as Barclays no longer wanting the Islanders goes, that's hogwash. Both sides are posturing to get a more advantageous deal. There's a lot of money to be made for both sides. You know, common sense. Obviously Ledecky and Malkin view Belmont as a better opportunity. So again, let's see what happens with Belmont (which will obviously dictate what happens with Barclays). Making these premature, grandiose declarations makes you sound foolish. What else is new...

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Reading through the questions in the first of the links, it seems like the community is doing their due diligence in asking some legitimate questions. Nuts and bolts stuff.

I'm most interested in the answer about that train service and the potential impact of the NYRA's plans for 2018.

Lord at War

Mar 27, 2017
L.I. Sound Shore
I'm most interested in the answer about that train service and the potential impact of the NYRA's plans for 2018.
The train swrvice at Belmont will always have a limited scope due to disruptions caused by trains departing the rail spur. Belmont will be a drive to arena with very limited transit. More trains to Belmont? not realistic, mostly an empty talking point for the uninformed.
MTA already weighed in on that,

In response to the politicians’ proposal, the MTA said it would cause problems. A spokesperson for the agency told the Chronicle that more LIRR service from Belmont would cause delays for trains on the Port Jefferson, Oyster Bay, Ronkonkoma and Hempstead lines.

http://m.qchron.com/mobile/editions...cle_a8ce3b14-dce9-587b-b88c-a196e8157153.html

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
The construction projects are supposed to be coordinated. As far as the LIRR service goes, it will take lobbying the Governor to start a project to improve train access from the spur to the main line tracks. Some hefty construction should be involved but it is doable. Just as the 3rd track project has Cuomo's name on it, so too would full time Belmont spur service.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
The train swrvice at Belmont will always have a limited scope due to disruptions caused by trains departing the rail spur. Belmont will be a drive to arena with very limited transit. More trains to Belmont? not realistic, mostly an empty talking point for the uninformed.

http://m.qchron.com/mobile/editions...cle_a8ce3b14-dce9-587b-b88c-a196e8157153.html
If they can widen the main line for a 3rd track, they can build a flyover for the spur to merge into the westbound tracks. All it takes is money.

Dutch Frost

Battle Level
Mar 12, 2010
Queens, NY
ok, so you made the assertions, tell us where you see and hear those things?

Its called reality Not a message board with keyboard warriors saying Not in my backyard. This is New York City and people will pay 1,000 for that seat for a game 7 Cup. This isnt the parking lot next to Nassau Community College and Roosevelt Field mall. This is Brooklyn and its home to the New York Islanders. They go on a tear this season and watch this place sell out nightly. WE WIN, THEY COME ITS THAT SIMPLE.. You can pretend like you wont come but I am sure the LIRR cuts through your dull neighborhood in Nassau county and if you run fast enough you can catch the last train heading back. Ill go bar hop around Park Slope and hop on C train back home in four stops. Just remember, They didnt spend Half a Billion to tell their other rich friends "hey wanna come by my suite in Elmont??" ;)

Steve55

Aug 21, 2005
Burnaby, BC, Canada
Its called reality Not a message board with keyboard warriors saying Not in my backyard. This is New York City and people will pay 1,000 for that seat for a game 7 Cup. This isnt the parking lot next to Nassau Community College and Roosevelt Field mall. This is Brooklyn and its home to the New York Islanders. They go on a tear this season and watch this place sell out nightly. WE WIN, THEY COME ITS THAT SIMPLE.. You can pretend like you wont come but I am sure the LIRR cuts through your dull neighborhood in Nassau county and if you run fast enough you can catch the last train heading back. Ill go bar hop around Park Slope and hop on C train back home in four stops. Just remember, They didnt spend Half a Billion to tell their other rich friends "hey wanna come by my suite in Elmont??" ;)

https://esd.ny.gov/sites/default/files/rfp/Belmont_Addendum_4_QA.pdf

With the approval of night racing at
Belmont Park and the potential for yearround
racing at Belmont Park,
the host
communities are already preparing for
those additional burdens being placed on its
residences surrounding Belmont Park.
How
will these new/additional attractions impact
the ESD's decision for Parcel A and B
development at Belmont Park?

ESD will evaluate Proposals against the
Selection Criteria outlined in the RFP.
ESD has
reached out to NYRA, and NYRA does not
expect any increased attendance arising from
the expanded racing schedule to impact the
property significantly...

Are Respondents required to include the
Cost Letter and the check in the amount of
$1,000,000 when submitting a Proposal?
What will happen if the check expires by the
time the Designated Developer is selected?

Respondents are required to include both the
signed Cost Letter provided in Appendix D and
a check in the amount of $1,000,000 when
submitting a Proposal. ESD will not deposit
and will return all unused Cost Letter payment
amounts to each Respondent that is not
designated for a short list or designated to
enter into negotiations with ESD and FOB
when it is determined that the Respondent is
no longer under consideration.

ESD will work with the Designated Developer
at the appropriate time in the RFP process to
facilitate the depositing of the Cost Letter
payment amount.

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County

lol, this is the best Brooklyn Islanders FanFiction I've read in a very long time.thank you.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A

Oh snap! you are an expert/employee of MTA also? Wow!!!

What else can you tell us with 100% certainty?

Axel574

Dec 9, 2015

Ugh.... this again?!?! You are the uninformed party in this debate my kraut-mc friend. ...and all that article is saying is that they SHOULD make Belmont a permanent station. LMFAO

Lord at War

Mar 27, 2017
L.I. Sound Shore
Ugh.... this again?!?! You are the uninformed party in this debate my kraut-mc friend. ...and all that article is saying is that they SHOULD make Belmont a permanent station. LMFAO

The experts have weighed in, station there is too problematic due to rail configuration. Could the taxpayer solve this by throwing some large sun of tax money at It? Sure, but is it worth $150-$200 million for one station when there are stations at Queens Village & Bellerose & Floral Park a mile away? Is that good use of taxpayer resources?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad