Barclays Center & Relocation Part VI : Belmont announcement likely this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County
How is the game day experience at other arenas, especially NVMC, better than Barclays? You keep preaching that all you go for is the hockey and could care less about the bells and whistles. So please explain what you've "experienced" at other arenas, aside from the hockey, that you enjoyed so much?

I've been to over a dozen NHL arenas. And you know what? The "experience" is the same crap at all of them. People sit and watch the game. They yell for goals and when the jumbotron tells them too. Bad rock music plays during stoppages. Overpriced food and beer. Go to Europe if you want "experience" and "atmosphere" in an arena.

How very cultured of you to say "go to Europe"... I've been to overseas soccer matches, they are more fun than the barclays center too... so there's that.

I'll stick to NVMC: Better sightlines, Louder Building, More historical NHL significance. That is plenty enough. Bathrooms and better arena food don't overcome that for me, sorry.

denis

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
The difference is you are spewing this craziness while I don't see anyone on the boards saying the things you cited...

There's no shot the average fan would end up spending $1K on stub hub for barclays Stanley Cup tickets. Thats a crock.

It's hardly a stretch. There are $1,000 plus seats on Stubhub right now for some regular season games, especially the Ranger games, and face value for some premium seats, even with a plan, can go above $600. Do "average" fans buy those? Probably not, except for celebrities and others with money to burn. But if the Islanders were to make the finals, $1,000 would probably be pretty close to the average price on the secondary market, and maybe a little low, as this would be a NYC "event."

denis

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
How very cultured of you to say "go to Europe"... I've been to overseas soccer matches, they are more fun than the barclays center too... so there's that.

I'll stick to NVMC: Better sightlines, Louder Building, More historical NHL significance. That is plenty enough. Bathrooms and better arena food don't overcome that for me, sorry.

I think you have a pretty warped memory of what the Nassau Mausoleum used to sound like. It earned that nickname for a reason. I sat through tons of dead silent games, with fans alternating between *****ing about the team and just dozing off. When the team sucks, both buildings suck. When the team is exciting, both buildings rock. It's not the bricks, it's the fanbase, and it's delusional to think otherwise.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I think you have a pretty warped memory of what the Nassau Mausoleum used to sound like. It earned that nickname for a reason. I sat through tons of dead silent games, with fans alternating between *****ing about the team and just dozing off. When the team sucks, both buildings suck. When the team is exciting, both buildings rock. It's not the bricks, it's the fanbase, and it's delusional to think otherwise.

The Coliseum could get louder, but it rarely did because the team sucked.

nycole

no longer in distress
Feb 25, 2016
I understand -- my parents are in Bellmore -- when I go to visit, my anger towards Nassau and everything in it increases.

As people like to do here, lets look at the facts, k?

Why wouldn't we be envious of the Rangers?

1 - Successful seasons? Check
2- Nice, modern arena? Check
3- Tons of resources for signing players? Check
4- Playing in an ideal location? Check
5- Desired location to play? Check
5- Stable mgmt and coaching? Check!

We have NONE OF THAT! ****ING ZERO!!! When MSG had to be refurbed, you think they had to jump through hoops? I doubt it. Yankees, same thing. New stadium was JUST DONE.

I hate the Rangers, but would give my left nut to get some of items on that list resolved for the Isles. So yeah-- the envy of the Rangers is completely valid.

Many Rangers fans are still toolbags though.

I just want to make sure we all have an understanding here: have the Isles had successful seasons? I ask because some anti-Barclays people say yes, and Brooklyn isn't drawing despite the Isles' "successful" seasons, and therfore it sucks. :help:

nycole

no longer in distress
Feb 25, 2016
The game day experience at NVMC was always superior because Ice Girls. :sarcasm:

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County
It's hardly a stretch. There are $1,000 plus seats on Stubhub right now for some regular season games, especially the Ranger games, and face value for some premium seats, even with a plan, can go above $600. Do "average" fans buy those? Probably not, except for celebrities and others with money to burn. But if the Islanders were to make the finals, $1,000 would probably be pretty close to the average price on the secondary market, and maybe a little low, as this would be a NYC "event."

you guys still seriously don't get that Brooklyn is not a hot sports market. Even after 2 years of evidence, maybe someday...

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005

What does any of this have to do with Barclays offering a "poor game day experience?"

PS - I mentioned Europe as an example of how experience can differ. It's on a whole other level over there, as you probably know. Not saying it's "better" but if you're going to judge the atmosphere at a sporting event, there's a minuscule difference between the Xcel Energy Center in MN and MSG (just random examples). But there's a world of difference between the atmosphere at a SEL game and ANY NHL arena.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
I just want to make sure we all have an understanding here: have the Isles had successful seasons? I ask because some anti-Barclays people say yes, and Brooklyn isn't drawing despite the Isles' "successful" seasons, and therfore it sucks. :help:

No-- the last successful season they had was 93.

An argument could be made for 01/02 when we had the series vs the Leafs -- not b/c we won -- cuz we didnt -- but it was a shot of adrenaline into what was left of the fanbase.

(Isles could win the Cup, and Barclays would still suck)

Costigan77

Oct 7, 2014
Manhasset, NY

Do we really consider Ralph Macchio and Kevin Connelly "celebrities?"

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
Reading through the questions in the first of the links, it seems like the community is doing their due diligence in asking some legitimate questions. Nuts and bolts stuff.

Some are basic and inquisitive, others including the first 2 on the first page (placed there bc most people will not read the rest) are very me-centric, and of course there's the last several about the precious NVMC, which appears to be asked on behalf of a larger community vs the one writing the letter.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Some are basic and inquisitive, others including the first 2 on the first page (placed there bc most people will not read the rest) are very me-centric, and of course there's the last several about the precious NVMC, which appears to be asked on behalf of a larger community vs the one writing the letter.

As I said it's the community doing what you'd expect them to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad