Proposal: Barclay Goodrow to anybody for a 7th

doomscroll

Jan 15, 2018
the Rangers will probably just buy him out this summer.

Lots of people are saying the Rangers will have to add a first to trade him, but the lack of desperation to move him given how favorable his buyout is makes that totally unlikely.

Last edited:

Bottle Rocket

Jul 23, 2023
Hmmmmm. 54% on faceoffs. 2nd most shorthanded TOI for a top-10 PK team. Wears an A. Has won a Cup.

Yeah, he's on a bloated contract......but it's one I think the Sabres can manage.

For a 7th? Price seems right for the Sabres.
Psst, you can ask for more and they would likely accept. Like a late pick or to get rid of a salary like Olofsson, Jost or Comrie in return if you feel like it.

• Haha
Reactions: Marlowe Syn

T_Cage

VP of Awesome
Sep 26, 2006
His cap hit isn't THAT bad, but if you need the space a buyout would be the best route (actually generates a small negative hit in 24-25).

I could see a team taking him on at 1/2 retention, at full hit you'd probably need to take a cap dump back.

Flan the incredible

Nov 8, 2014
Hmmmmm. 54% on faceoffs. 2nd most shorthanded TOI for a top-10 PK team. Wears an A. Has won a Cup.

Yeah, he's on a bloated contract......but it's one I think the Sabres can manage.

For a 7th? Price seems right for the Sabres.
I said this over a year ago but this type of player is what Buffalo needs. Gritty in your face will eat a puck to keep it out of the net. You have the scoring and you would be a nightmare to play against with these types of players.

For this reason I hope your GM doesn't figure this out as I wouldn't want to play you guys anymore lol.

Reactions: Dijock94

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
His cap hit isn't THAT bad, but if you need the space a buyout would be the best route (actually generates a small negative hit in 24-25).

I could see a team taking him on at 1/2 retention, at full hit you'd probably need to take a cap dump back.
Yes it is.

This is low key one of the worst contracts in the league

doomscroll

Jan 15, 2018
Myers (pending UFA) + a 3rd for Goodrow + Schneider
So the Rangers lose their young defenseman and still end up with less cap space at the deadline than before?

Yes it is.

This is low key one of the worst contracts in the league
The worst contracts in the league are buyout proof. The only year Goodrow’s buyout penalty exceeds $1.111 million is 26-27, after Trouba and Panarin’s contracts end.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
So the Rangers lose their young defenseman and still end up with less cap space at the deadline than before?

The worst contracts in the league are buyout proof. The only year Goodrow’s buyout penalty exceeds $1.111 million is 26-27, after Trouba and Panarin’s contracts end.
The worst contracts in the league are the ones giving you no ROI. Goodrow probably has the worst point per dollar ratio in the league, hes gotten worse every year and he still has multiple years of term. This is an atrocious contract. You can't pay over 3m for a 4th liner

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016

They benefit from the cap space gained for the next few years. Dumping cap with term is costly.

doomscroll

Jan 15, 2018
They benefit from the cap space gained for the next few years. Dumping cap with term is costly.
Goodrow’s cap hit beyond this year doesn’t really matter if he’s bought-out. The penalty is pretty favorable for the Rangers. If the other option is to give up someone like Schneider then I think it’s pretty clear that the Rangers would opt for a buyout.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
We overpaid by like .6m up until recently.
Tho play appears to have declined, let's remember this is a guy only weeks ago had something like a fractured jaw and only took coupla games off
He still has some value based on knowledge + experience, but we are going to have to retain to make room for Edstrom, etc.
Cap is very tight almost league wide

In a scenario where we do a big package of Othmann+ for Zegras+, Goodrow can be moved at 1.6+ retained = 2m cap hit
THAT is the best fit

Evander Kane for Goodrow and Kakko?
no
KK is a keeper

doomscroll

Jan 15, 2018
The worst contracts in the league are the ones giving you no ROI. Goodrow probably has the worst point per dollar ratio in the league, hes gotten worse every year and he still has multiple years of term. This is an atrocious contract. You can't pay over 3m for a 4th liner
I agree that it’s an awful contract, hence why I think Goodrow should be bought-out this summer. I just don’t think a contract taking up less than 5% of the cap for a player who does provide some value (Goodrow is an objectively good penalty killer) really qualifies as one of the worst in the league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad