Boston Globe Ban Fighting in NHL - should fighting be a game misconduct?

Should fighting be a game misconduct?

• Yes

Votes: 24 16.2%
  • No

Votes: 124 83.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

hrdpuk

Fossa
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
Kentucky
I thought I would resurrect this thread since there has been a lot of fight talk in some Bruin's threads

DiggityDog

2 Minutes for Ruffing
Nov 2, 2019
I have always enjoyed a good hockey fight.

What I hate is guys having to answer for clean hits. Like if you lay someone out, and you do so within the rules, you have to now fight? That’s horseshit.

Also, while I do think it has a time and a place, there is a reason you almost never see a fight in the postseason.

Reactions: BigGoalBrad

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Polls numbers speak for themselves. Let's not turn hockey into soccer on ice, it has already been wussified. Goons and premeditated fights are gone, more rivalries would help the game and that usually increases fighting.

I thought I would resurrect this thread since there has been a lot of fight talk in some Bruin's threads
Things have been to quiet and copacetic around here so you figured "let's stir things up". The fighting "debate" is always a good way to do that

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown

Roll 4 Lines

Pastafarian!
Nov 6, 2008
In The Midnight Hour
The fact that poll results show that people like to watch fighting is irrelevant.

If they had zamboni demolition derby people would watch it.....that don't make it hockey.

I know, I should go watch soccer cuz I'm a tree-hugging, ice capade loving chicken Swede.

Thing is, I'm not even saying whether I like to watch hockey fights or not. I certainly have watched plenty, used to love it, not so sure now knowing what I know.

Heck, I still cue up old videos, sometimes of hockey fights, but also Ali/Fraser, Hagler/Hearns, but it gets more difficult knowing what happened to these guys, not much later in life.

I also watch war documentaries....a LOT. That doesn't mean I want war to happen.

I guess if people are willing to do it, we, as humans will continue to watch. And if we're willing to cheer it, they will continue to do it.

That said, I can get a lot of joy out of watching college hockey, or playoff hockey, where there are very few fights.

I agree, fighting to retaliate for a clean hit is stupid, but when someone's angry, they may fight.

Sorry for the very non-commital post! LOL

Reactions: hrdpuk and RoccoF14

hrdpuk

Fossa
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
Kentucky
Polls numbers speak for themselves. Let's not turn hockey into soccer on ice, it has already been wussified. Goons and premeditated fights are gone, more rivalries would help the game and that usually increases fighting.

Things have been to quiet and copacetic around here so you figured "let's stir things up". The fighting "debate" is always a good way to do that
I stated my motives for revving the thread. You chose to make a personal attack about my motives by implying otherwise.

Over the years I've watched lots of hockey games and don't remember not enjoying a hockey game because there wasn't a fight.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
The fact that poll results show that people like to watch fighting is irrelevant.

If they had zamboni demolition derby people would watch it.....that don't make it hockey.

I know, I should go watch soccer cuz I'm a tree-hugging, ice capade loving chicken Swede.

Thing is, I'm not even saying whether I like to watch hockey fights or not. I certainly have watched plenty, used to love it, not so sure now knowing what I know.

Heck, I still cue up old videos, sometimes of hockey fights, but also Ali/Fraser, Hagler/Hearns, but it gets more difficult knowing what happened to these guys, not much later in life.

I also watch war documentaries....a LOT. That doesn't mean I want war to happen.

I guess if people are willing to do it, we, as humans will continue to watch. And if we're willing to cheer it, they will continue to do it.

That said, I can get a lot of joy out of watching college hockey, or playoff hockey, where there are very few fights.

I agree, fighting to retaliate for a clean hit is stupid, but when someone's angry, they may fight.

Came in like a lion though.

hrdpuk

Fossa
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
Kentucky

A Zamboni demolition derby would be interesting

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
It’s just not a big deal. Hockey fans like it by and large. Drastically.

But at this point it’s a fairly rare event. As Bettman has accomplished, you don’t need to ban it, it isn’t a part of most games.

This is the equivalent of over officiating. Just relax.

NeelyDan

Spot-Picker
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario
/mourn

0036637C-27F7-4374-920B-2A0E031FE1EB.jpeg

Reactions: missingchicklet

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
My favorite team ever. I all my years watching the NHL

One particular game that was ending, chippy, the Bruins put out a line of Miller-Neely-Plett and the defense was Byers and Blum.

Not many people remember the Bruins had a young Alan May on that team who played 3 games and had 3 fights. Was dealt for Moe Lemay who I loved lol.

Glory days indeed. Guys like Burridge, O'Dwyer and Courtnall even fought. Bruins had 22 players with at least on fight.

135 fights that year. 21 last year lol.

Morris Wanchuk

Feb 10, 2006
War Memorial Arena

I love that fighting went UP in the playoffs. Different coaching mind set plus no instigator penalty helped.

I was born in 1986 and can barely watch regular season NHL these days knowing what it was like in 2011. I can’t imagine how you older guys watch. Zzzzzzzzzzzz

I have been watching more college hockey in recent years. No fighting but at least they make mistakes that lead to interesting things happening and seem to care.

Reactions: BMC and NeelyDan

The Andrew Peeke Fan

Feb 26, 2020
It'll be abolished during my lifetime, I imagine. And that's assuming the league, as it's constituted, even sticks around long enough for there to be enough public social pressure to force it.
e. f***ed up

Last edited:

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I had season tickets was a few years out of college and sat loge 7 row 1 above corner clock to Bruins goalies right, first and third periods

Many of those fights were infront of me. Miller seemed to fight a lot down other end in left corner

Byers got knocked out by Maley infront of me on a Saturday I think Joyce first game - Burke was in net and Brickley of all people for Devils won in OT 7-6

Burke in net

One of wildest games ever seen

Edit - found box score
March 5 1988

Joyce first game scores 2

Charleston Jack OCallahan gets 2 for Devils

Brickley from Melrose gets 2 for Devils including OT

Video of fight unreal - Byers 2 broken hands and Fred & Derek on call

Last edited:
Reactions: NeelyDan

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
It'll be abolished during my lifetime, I imagine. And that's assuming the league, as it's constituted, even sticks around long enough for their to be enough public social pressure to force it.
nah it won't, been hearing this for years, but it's still here. The anti fighting crowd is way in the minority according to polls

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I love that fighting went UP in the playoffs. Different coaching mind set plus no instigator penalty helped.

I was born in 1986 and can barely watch regular season NHL these days knowing what it was like in 2011. I can’t imagine how you older guys watch. Zzzzzzzzzzzz

I have been watching more college hockey in recent years. No fighting but at least they make mistakes that lead to interesting things happening and seem to care.
This year has been fun to watch but most years are “just get me to the playoffs”. The old days when it was 5-1 you watched the third period because scores got settled. Now you just go to bed.

The live experience to me is where it really suffers. I mean I do see the Devils live so that could be a big reason but in 87-88 when I would go the games were 5-4 with huge hits and 3-4 fights. Now it’s like 3-1, zero hitting and you’re lucky to see a fight and it’s using a purse swinging affair

Last edited:
Reactions: NeelyDan

NeelyDan

Spot-Picker
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario
This year has been fun to watch but most years are “just get me to the playoffs”. The old days when it was 5-1 you watched the third period because scores got settled. Now you just go to bed.

The life experience to me is where it really suffers. I mean I do see the Devils live so that could be a big reason but in 87-88 when I would go the games were 5-4 with huge hits and 3-4 fights. Now it’s like 3-1, zero hitting and you’re lucky to see a fight and it’s using a purse swinging affair

Man that point about the third period when games were already decided is pure truth

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
I like a good fight but have to admit watching two guys beat the crap out of helmets and visors has kind of lost its appeal.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I never liked the staged goon fights so I'm not sorry they're gone. I have zero problem with 2 guys who've been battling get fed up with one another or if one player cheap shots another. I absolutely do not like to see a fight where a clean hit injures another player.. You want to hold someone who threw a cheap/bad hit accountable, I'm all for it but insisting the guy who threw a clean hit answer for it is wrong. Intent matters.

Reactions: Roll 4 Lines

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I never liked the staged goon fights so I'm not sorry they're gone. I have zero problem with 2 guys who've been battling get fed up with one another or if one player cheap shots another. I absolutely do not like to see a fight where a clean hit injures another player.. You want to hold someone who threw a cheap/bad hit accountable, I'm all for it but insisting the guy who threw a clean hit answer for it is wrong. Intent matters.
I never had an issue with staged fights. I mean it was a part of the fabric of the game back then for better or for worse. Crowder vs Probert. Stock vs Peat. Gaetz vs Probert. WIngs/Blackhawks/Blues wars. the John Scott era. Boogaard. I mean the Dallas game part two was completely staged with 3 fights in 4 seconds and this place erupted with delight. I'm sorry but you looked forward to that stuff. It was also better than the "I'm going to beat you up for fairly hitting my teammate" we get these days.

You would be hard pressed to find someone choose the 2020's hockey over the 80's-00's. If you did I bet they are lying.

Reactions: BMC

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad