Boston Globe Ban Fighting in NHL - should fighting be a game misconduct?

Should fighting be a game misconduct?

• Yes

Votes: 24 16.2%
  • No

Votes: 124 83.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I had season tickets was a few years out of college and sat loge 7 row 1 above corner clock to Bruins goalies right, first and third periods

Many of those fights were infront of me. Miller seemed to fight a lot down other end in left corner

Byers got knocked out by Maley infront of me on a Saturday I think Joyce first game - Burke was in net and Brickley of all people for Devils won in OT 7-6

Burke in net

One of wildest games ever seen

Edit - found box score
March 5 1988

Joyce first game scores 2

Charleston Jack OCallahan gets 2 for Devils

Brickley from Melrose gets 2 for Devils including OT

Video of fight unreal - Byers 2 broken hands and Fred & Derek on call

Reactions: DKH

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I had season tickets was a few years out of college and sat loge 7 row 1 above corner clock to Bruins goalies right, first and third periods

Many of those fights were infront of me. Miller seemed to fight a lot down other end in left corner

Byers got knocked out by Maley infront of me on a Saturday I think Joyce first game - Burke was in net and Brickley of all people for Devils won in OT 7-6

Burke in net

Edit - found box score
March 5 1988

That first round against Buffalo was a war! My father just got a new boss, who was a hockey fan and found out my family was as well.

He bought 15 tickets for each home game in round one and told my dad he cold bring my brother and I to all the home games in the series.

At one point in the series, Hartman or Halkidis jumped Byers or Miller off the faceoff which started a brawl and at another, Neely almost ended Lindy Ruff's life with a devastating left.

Crazy how many legit tough guys played in that series.

Neely, Byers, Miller, Plett, Shoebottom, Kluzak, Crowder

Maguire, Halkidis, Gillies, Hartman, Foligno, Krupp

Definitely a top 10 most entertaining series for me.

Reactions: Baddkarma

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
That first round against Buffalo was a war! My father just got a new boss, who was a hockey fan and found out my family was as well.

He bought 15 tickets for each home game in round one and told my dad he cold bring my brother and I to all the home games in the series.

At one point in the series, Hartman or Halkidis jumped Byers or Miller off the faceoff which started a brawl and at another, Neely almost ended Lindy Ruff's life with a devastating left.

Crazy how many legit tough guys played in that series.

Neely, Byers, Miller, Plett, Shoebottom, Kluzak, Crowder

Maguire, Halkidis, Gillies, Hartman, Foligno, Krupp

Definitely a top 10 most entertaining series for me.
Al, didn’t McGuire become a ref

I also remember my GF thinking he was cute and saying ‘he keeps fighting Miller he’s going to be unrecognizable’

We used to hit the Penalty Box Lounge after - sit on seats from the 1960’s with duct tape from the tears - great memories

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Al, didn’t McGuire become a ref

I also remember my GF thinking he was cute and saying ‘he keeps fighting Miller he’s going to be unrecognizable’

He might have --- that does sound familiar.

trenton1

Bergeron for Hart
Dec 19, 2003
Loge 31 Row 10

Burke in net

Edit - found box score
March 5 1988

I was at this game as well. One of the best games. Awesome season.

Reactions: DKH

RHR37

Dec 24, 2019
This debate makes no sense to me. So you want to take fighting out to stop injuries but you are okay with people slamming into each other risking injury.

If fighting needs to be removed then so does hitting. Then we can watch a great game of shinny.

Conclusion:

-No fighting should not be removed.
-It's already a 5 minute major no need to increase.
- if you don't like it I hear there is a riveting curling match coming up.

If we are ending anything it should be fighting after a clean body check thrown.

Reactions: Gordoff and BMC

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
This debate makes no sense to me. So you want to take fighting out to stop injuries but you are okay with people slamming into each other risking injury.

If fighting needs to be removed then so does hitting. Then we can watch a great game of shinny.

Conclusion:

-No fighting should not be removed.
-It's already a 5 minute major no need to increase.
- if you don't like it I hear there is a riveting curling match coming up.

If we are ending anything it should be fighting after a clean body check thrown.

Great news if you're confused about this: if you have some free time it has been addressed repeatedly and in-depth by many posters in this very thread.

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
Great news if you're confused about this: if you have some free time it has been addressed repeatedly and in-depth by many posters in this very thread.
%D8%B9%D9%84%D8%A8%D9%84%D8%AA%D9%86%D8%AE%D9%87.gif

Reactions: EverettMike

The Storm

Mar 15, 2022
Fighting should stay but they must limit these current fights that are the result of a "clean" hit. You should not have to fight if you level a clean check on someone.

I like an occasional fight. It's entertaining!

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Fighting should stay but they must limit these current fights that are the result of a "clean" hit. You should not have to fight if you level a clean check on someone.

I like an occasional fight. It's entertaining!
Totally agree with this. Clean, hard, legal hits that lead to a fight should have an automatic Instigator Penalty applied.

I remember when Matt Dumba had his season ended, answering the bell for a clean hit he put on Backlund back in 2019. Totally unnecessary.

ShiftyNifty16

Blow it up, burn it down, hit reset and start over
Apr 11, 2014
Earth
Having watched and played, I believe fighting is necesary to police the game. Players will take more liberties without it.

Reactions: Baddkarma

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad