Speculation: Bally Sports Sun

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Bally Sports: We're the BOLDEST sports network. Bally Sports means something.
Qp9AqJ0.gif

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I have a compromise for the fans who want the score bug on the top and the executives who want it on the bottom.

Both.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
Spectrum in Polk keeps showing stinking basketball instead of hockey. I am about to cancel it.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Spectrum in Polk keeps showing stinking basketball instead of hockey. I am about to cancel it.
You're getting Heat games? BS Sun has the rights to the Heat.

edit: just saw this tweet.

That engagement. 12 retweets and 136 likes right now.

Seems like they want to take all that space in order to run ads during the game. Hence, the otherwise unused gray bar.

Last edited:

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Fox Sports ran ads about the same size on the top though. The space doesn't need to be reserved. This is just amateur hour stuff done by people who don't know sports.
What I think their game could be is that they want to run ads all the time. Even Sunday morning fishing reruns since the ticker could always be there (like ESPN).

Y'know, bold.

Reactions: Major4Boarding

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
You're getting Heat games? BS Sun has the rights to the Heat.

edit: just saw this tweet.

That engagement. 12 retweets and 136 likes right now.

Seems like they want to take all that space in order to run ads during the game. Hence, the otherwise unused gray bar.

Yes heat are coming on in lakeland on 31.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Yes heat are coming on in lakeland on 31.
I know that this board gets read by people associated with the team, so it may not be necessary to do anything now, but I'd take that to the Lightning first. There should be more urgency on their end than Spectrum.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
I know that this board gets read by people associated with the team, so it may not be necessary to do anything now, but I'd take that to the Lightning first. There should be more urgency on their end than Spectrum.
I prefer Lightning and if isnt fixed in two weeks before my next bill I am canceling spectrum tv .

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Yea just put it right in the middle. Everyone's happy..
The problem with that is fans were complaining that when it was on the bottom, it was covering up the play. So they'd need to split the image around the score bug.

The first option I thought of was to have it rapidly flash, but then it technically wouldn't be on-screen the entire time.

Maybe the network logo can float around the screen like the DVD screensaver?

Reactions: CupsOverCash

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Can people please go out of their way and write them an email about the score board. I cant watch this shit. I already emailed them

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Can people please go out of their way and write them an email about the score board. I cant watch this shit. I already emailed them
Social media pressure is better because it's out in the open.

This is what ESPN is doing with NCAA hockey. A pretty standard setup across the ESPN networks.

What I'm unclear on is if Bally is changing the frame. Are we not seeing things because they're behind the score bug, or because it's out of frame? They don't carry over the scorebug to the commercials (yet), so it doesn't seem like they're squishing the frame, which is a whole other argument.

It's easy to have your argument dismissed if you aren't arguing about the right thing.

I'd note that the scorebug for ESPN is also needlessly oversized in order to promote their own programming, rather than sponsors. TVs are getting larger however.

Personally, I haven't had as many issues with the scorebug as some people, but I also watch a variety of games. NCAA on ESPN, ECHL on Flohockey, Big Ten on B1G, WJC on TSN (via NHLN), NBCSN, etc., so other than it being on the bottom, it's not obtrusive. I also haven't seen tv twitter go off on it actually blocking anything.

Last edited:

bodi

May 14, 2016
They lowered a camera. We can see the boards at blue line so the score bug is not too obstructive.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
They lowered a camera. We can see the boards at blue line so the score bug is not too obstructive.

You know, I found myself thinking "how the hell am I used to this stupid score format taking up the bottom of the screen after 3 games already"

That must've been the fix and I didn't even realize it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad