Bad look for Evan Bouchard...ducks a hit and controller disconnects

Kamus

Oct 21, 2005
You're heavily invested in the Oilers, eh?

Seems like I see you in absolutely every thread on the main boards that have to do with Edmonton
I feel bad for posters like Three. To be so obsessed about another team is just sad…. But what can you do some people just like living in their parents basement and posting on other teams threads on HF

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012

Seems like I see you in absolutely every thread on the main boards that have to do with Edmonton
I feel bad for posters like Three. To be so obsessed about another team is just sad…. But what can you do some people just like living in their parents basement and posting on other teams threads on HF
Awe you two :heart: , it warms the cockles of my heart that you show up only to comment on me and not on the actual topic. It truly means a lot

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
5 points in 2 games this weekend. And he got trashed. I really do think the offensive Dman is some special misunderstood unicorn on HF. When you have the luck on your stick a lot.. mistakes will definitely happen. Especially if you are playing against Austin Matthews.. he knows a thing or two about hockey. The other guy that made him look silky this month was MacKinnon.

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
Wow, the first page of this thread is really sad and kinda embodies how soft the population of users on this website is now. Good lord lol

I'm not even an Oilers fan, and it doesn't have to take someone with half a brain and decently working eyeballs to see Bouchard is not "dog shit" defensively anymore. It's not even a valid way to describe him. He's still quite passive at times (hence the resulting play that this thread is about), but he's not brain dead like many are inferring. He has numbskull moments, as does any defender in this league. He has notably improved but people seem to not be up with the times.

Anyone talking shit here would love to have a PPG d-man on their team, let's be real with ourselves guys Jesus Christ :laugh:

OilWagon

Jul 20, 2019
Edmonton
Wow, the first page of this thread is really sad and kinda embodies how soft the population of users on this website is now. Good lord lol

I'm not even an Oilers fan, and it doesn't have to take someone with half a brain and decently working eyeballs to see Bouchard is not "dog shit" defensively anymore. It's not even a valid way to describe him. He's still quite passive at times (hence the resulting play that this thread is about), but he's not brain dead like many are inferring. He has numbskull moments, as does any defender in this league. He has notably improved but people seem to not be up with the times.

Anyone talking shit here would love to have a PPG d-man on their team, let's be real with ourselves guys Jesus Christ :laugh:
Unfortunately this website is majority trolls, the more time I spend here I can feel the urge start. The urge to post mindless garbage that I know is incorrect so I can receive a few likes.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I feel like Bouchard has some Dougie Hamilton in him. A bit overrated by guys who are solely focused on advanced numbers, but underrated by those who focus on some of these soft/passive moments and ignore everything else he brings. He’s probably best when insulated by a stabilizing partner, but the good still outweighs the bad by a lot.

Reactions: Chips

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
He’s legit good but it’s crazy to me to think he’s not getting a decent boost from his team. I’ve watched a decent number of Oilers games the last few years and this year and he rarely individually puts me on the edge of my seat like some of the top Norris candidates and winners in recent years

SensontheRush

Never said it was Sunshine
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa

So...

Cat shit defensively?

• Haha
Reactions: Our Lady Peace

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Mack has wordl class speed and Bouchard isn't a top defender but really if he plays, say in San jose noone would care would they?

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015

This site has always been like this, though. You've (probably) just matured and gotten better at noticing it.

Anyone else recall the 'Kostityns are better than the Sedins' threads from back in the day?

Reactions: Our Lady Peace

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
TLDR; Bouchard is absolute horse shit defensively. He makes errors that Ekholm bails him out for. Offensively, he is majestic, he makes plays that no other D on the team can think of. All in all, he’s a positive contributor by a long shot but when he makes a mistake, it’s f***ing bad/annoying…

OilWagon

Jul 20, 2019
Edmonton
TLDR; Bouchard is absolute horse shit defensively. He makes errors that Ekholm bails him out for. Offensively, he is majestic, he makes plays that no other D on the team can think of. All in all, he’s a positive contributor by a long shot but when he makes a mistake, it’s f***ing bad/annoying…
Eh even then, in the offensive zone it's actually Ekholm aggressively pinching way more then Bouchard, he will spend long periods playing as the 3rd man down low. It is amazing for maintaining possession and long cycles but when it goes bad its often Bouchard left to defend breakaways and oddman rushes, and lets just say thats not Bouchard's specialty at this point in his career lol.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
Whatever, the amount of points he contributes is enough. Seriously. Edmonton has been missing a bomb on the back end since Pronger.

Oleksiak

Jun 12, 2019
Victoria, BC
He really needs to go down to the ECHL and learn how to play his position. This kind of play is simply not acceptable even at the AHL level; the Oilers should be ashamed that they are allowing him to play like complete trash in his own zone every single night with no consequences.

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005

It’s an obsession of his that defies description. It’s the only thing he cares about.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
I've watched most of the Oilers' games since the 2019-20 season, and I'm really impressed by Bouchard this season.

There were some long nights with him back in 2021-22 (we pause to remember the game where Bouchard had, I think, five shifts in the third period and the opposition scored on every one). But after the ropey start by the whole team this year, he's been quite impressive. He's obviously maximized by being partnered with the wise and crafty Ekholm, who allows him to excel at what he does best. But that's good -- we need good pairings, and this has easily been the best one this season.

Defensively, he's been pretty good this year. If you're looking for the body-the-guy-out-of-the-way and make-life-miserable-for-opponents guy, look elsewhere because Bouchard isn't that. But he is very sharp with his stick and good at getting to pucks first and getting those pucks out of the zone quickly. He's getting better at getting his body into the correct positions.

He's very much an Al MacInnis-in-his-younger-days type of player. Very, very similar in style, actually. I wouldn't be surprised if, in 5 years, Bouchard is really solid defensively, with veteran savvy.

By the way, since Nov. 24th (51 games ago), Bouchard is 2nd NHL in points by defencemen and 1st in plus/minus.

Daishi

Apr 12, 2010
'Defense' in the NHL is a joke anyway. Defensive defenders will never ever win the Norris. Even offensive defencemen who play responsibly won't win. It's just an Art Ross for players marked as 'D'.

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
'Defense' in the NHL is a joke anyway. Defensive defenders will never ever win the Norris. Even offensive defencemen who play responsibly won't win. It's just an Art Ross for players marked as 'D'.
With how the game has been changing, I think you’ll see less and less true “defensive defenceman”. Speed and skill are taking over with emphasis on being just “good enough” defensively

Reactions: Czechboy

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
You can see Bouchard's next contract with the Oilers as a timebomb in the waiting. He will get paid because of the offense (and because of McDrai) and then will never live up to it.

Oilers management are in for some hard decisions after next season.
Nurse scored 16 covid season goals playing only teams in the "North division".
Cashed in 9.5 mill for that. Yikes !!
Oilers cannot afford another over paid Dman

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad