Value of: Backup goalie to Avs

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
You honestly feel comfortable with him out there? I’m yet to see a single game where I felt we didn’t win despite him.

I know you shouldn’t need a backup let alone a third string to steal games for you, but they should at least be able to keep you in it. I don’t feel like JoJo has that in him. With two injury prone goalies ahead of him in the pecking order he’s not gonna cut it.

Honestly, no, I don't feel comfortable with him out there. I barely feel comfortable with Francouz in net. But, it's a single season. If we end up in the unfortunate situation of having to once again rely on our third string goalie and JoJo fails, we can readdress the goalie situation next off-season and try it again. Or, get someone at the TDL, as others have mentioned.

DarthProbert

Feb 3, 2015
Paid too much for Kuemper instead of giving next summer Kuemper money to Grubauer now and keeping Timmins and the 1st. Cupboards are bare, cap is full. Kuemper has to play every game now.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Paid too much for Kuemper instead of giving next summer Kuemper money to Grubauer now and keeping Timmins and the 1st. Cupboards are bare, cap is full. Kuemper has to play every game now.
We keep Grubs and we can't afford Landeskog. Or we have to bridge Makar and regret it in a few years.

Avaholic29

Feb 5, 2014

Barron > Timmins. Murray > Timmins.

cupboards aren’t bare either. The doom and gloom over trading a first and bottom pairing dman for kuemper is wild.

DarthProbert

Feb 3, 2015
We keep Grubs and we can't afford Landeskog. Or we have to bridge Makar and regret it in a few years.

So no goalie next year? Cause somebody gets paid to play net. Or is Annunen the plan now? Looks to me like Sakic's been in panic mode for almost a year now instead of having any real plan.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017

I'm not sure of why you believe the Cupboards are bare?

RHD is likely the most stocked position.

Makar
EJ
Murray
Barron
Helleson

Don't like losing the 1st + Timmins for any injury prone Goalie on an expiring contract, but the cap savings allowed for longer deals on Makar and Landy. Kemp is also better than Grub and would be fired up in seeking a lucrative deal.

HockeyRick33

Jun 1, 2021
My advice is try* to get Holtby off of Dallas on the cheap some how. I believe Holtby is a Dark Horse this season and I don't think Kuemper is going to cut it....yeah Holtby sucked in Vancouver... but why?....well because it is Vancouver.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Francouz is out 4 weeks? The Avs have 10 regular season games in the first four weeks of the season with no back to back games.

Kuemper with Johansson as his backup should be fine until Francouz returns.

avsfan9

Jul 28, 2011
So no goalie next year? Cause somebody gets paid to play net. Or is Annunen the plan now? Looks to me like Sakic's been in panic mode for almost a year now instead of having any real plan.
Simple if Kuemper is healthy and plays well we pay him. Kuemper > Grubauer

Shane Diesel

Jun 8, 2021
Over the 5 years prior to that, he had the 3rd highest SV% in the NHL. But, sure, let's judge him solely on the two years when his team has been rebuilding.
GSAx adjusts for quality of shots so the whole "rebuilding" excuse goes out the window. It's meant to be an apples-to-apples comparison around the league and Gibson has been one of the worst starters in the entire NHL these past two seasons. But sure, let's ignore his poor play and inability to stop pucks the last couple of years and only focus on what he accomplished five year ago.

It's not like NHL goalies are incapable of putting up respectable numbers on bad teams...

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
GSAx adjusts for quality of shots so the whole "rebuilding" excuse goes out the window. It's meant to be an apples-to-apples comparison around the league and Gibson has been one of the worst starters in the entire NHL these past two seasons. But sure, let's ignore his poor play and inability to stop pucks the last couple of years and only focus on what he accomplished five year ago.

It's not like NHL goalies are incapable of putting up respectable numbers on bad teams...

No, GSAx pretends to know exactly how many goals a goalie should give up by doing math based on league averages, which is a ludicrous premise to start with. If we could simply calculate the expected results, there would be no reason to actually play the games. If you want to pretend these calculations are 100% accurate, then how exactly do we check those expected numbers against measurable things to confirm that they are right? Or is there no way to prove them right, making them nothing better than a fancy guess?

And, sure, goalies can occasionally put up respectable numbers on bad teams. But that doesn't mean that every good goalie on a bad team should always put up respectable numbers. And, Gibson put up respectable numbers in 2018-19, when the Ducks were 13th in the West and 10 points out of the playoffs. The team has gotten worse since then, and Gibson's numbers reflect that.

Shane Diesel

Jun 8, 2021
No, GSAx pretends to know exactly how many goals a goalie should give up by doing math based on league averages, which is a ludicrous premise to start with. If we could simply calculate the expected results, there would be no reason to actually play the games. If you want to pretend these calculations are 100% accurate, then how exactly do we check those expected numbers against measurable things to confirm that they are right? Or is there no way to prove them right, making them nothing better than a fancy guess?

No one ever said it was 100% accurate or should be taken that way. I see you've already started with the strawman arguments though, how tedious.

And, sure, goalies can occasionally put up respectable numbers on bad teams. But that doesn't mean that every good goalie on a bad team should always put up respectable numbers. And, Gibson put up respectable numbers in 2018-19, when the Ducks were 13th in the West and 10 points out of the playoffs. The team has gotten worse since then, and Gibson's numbers reflect that.

https://www.naturalstattrick.com/pl...ne&fd=&td=&tgp=410&lines=single&draftteam=ALL

Past three seasons of play comparing goaltender GSAA. Gibson is 30th with plenty of guys on poor teams above him. What's the excuse there?

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Ingram , Delia , Subban on Waivers . If Avs aren't happy with Johanson there's some names to pick from today.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad