Value of: Backup goalie to Avs

milehigh11

Mar 4, 2014
Mile High State
For the 2nd year in a row Sakic has failed to bring in a quality backup as he knew Francouz was going to miss time last year (he ended up missing the whole season) and pretty much any game Grubauer didnt start it was more than likely a guaranteed loss.

Fast forward to this offseason. Sakic acquired Kuemper who has injury problems himself and he paid "a lot" to obtain from Phoenix. But IF healthy, is a great starter. Sakic knew Francouz who was returning after having double hip surgery that maybe we needed to find an upgrade in case of injury.

Well he stood pat with: Jonas Johansson who we got from Buffalo and hasnt looked that great in the preseason and we have our youngster Justus Annunen who is 21 and really struggled last year with a depleated roster and will probably be spending most of his time in the AHL.

Now there is word that Francouz is hurt yet again and will be out for 4 weeks.

Im sure the likes of Beaucage, Bowers and Kaut will be on the table.

JoeSakic13

May 30, 2013
San Francisco
Although I entirely agree Colorado needs a guy who can serve as a backup during injuries, I can’t see them trading assets for him.

It would be a waiver pickup if anything, but once Frankie heals up he’d go right back on waivers again in an attempt to send him down.

Reactions: IWantSakicAsMyGM

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Some Dallas goalie will likely end up on waivers, so there's that.

But yes, I think it's a slight concern that Sakic has decided to go into the season with two injury-prone goaltenders. You don't really want to run into the somewhat likely scenario that Johansson is the starter for a stretch.

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
have roy suit up for a month, can't be any worse than suiting up the guys you don't want

Reactions: Altimus

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
have roy suit up for a month, can't be any worse than suiting up the guys you don't want

Yeah, I'm sure bringing back the guy who rage quit as head coach back in 2016 wouldn't cause any problems. :popcorn:

If we need a recently retired NHL goalie to be a backup for a few games, Peter Budaj is the Avs' development goalie coach.

JoeSakic13

May 30, 2013
San Francisco
Yeah, I'm sure bringing back the guy who rage quit as head coach back in 2016 wouldn't cause any problems. :popcorn:

If we need a recently retired NHL goalie to be a backup for a few games, Peter Budaj is the Avs' development goalie coach.

8iXmJS.gif

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Subban or Delia will be on waivers and both are cheap so no real cap issues going forward

Both can be waived and buried if need be when Avs goalies are healthy

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Francouz is only out 3-4 weeks according to Peter Baugh of The Athletic, and Colorado have a reasonably light schedule to start the season, so it seems unlikely that Sakic will trade for another goalie right now.
Colorado needs a good #3 option given the injury history of their 2 nhl goalies.

for a contending team with cap room that’s something they should have taken care of.

Reactions: DarthProbert

Yog S'loth

Sep 7, 2005
Southern California
Three goalies hit the wire today, with plenty more about to come.

Colorado can duke it out with Buffalo and Arizona to claim whomever they want.

[EDIT] Sorry for double-post messup.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Fixed. Seriously, the whole plot of him just needing to get out of Buffalo (the one put forth by Avs fans) was wildly inaccurate. The guy’s not NHL material.

Because of 1 preseason game where he came in cold?

He was 5-1-1 for us last year with a 2.05 GAA and a .913 sv%. He's fine especially as a #3.

The problem here is we have an unreliable #2 at this point and he's probably not good enough to be a full time backup.

JoeSakic13

May 30, 2013
San Francisco
Because of 1 preseason game where he came in cold?

He was 5-1-1 for us last year with a 2.05 GAA and a .913 sv%. He's fine especially as a #3.

The problem here is we have an unreliable #2 at this point and he's probably not good enough to be a full time backup.

You honestly feel comfortable with him out there? I’m yet to see a single game where I felt we didn’t win despite him.

I know you shouldn’t need a backup let alone a third string to steal games for you, but they should at least be able to keep you in it. I don’t feel like JoJo has that in him. With two injury prone goalies ahead of him in the pecking order he’s not gonna cut it.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Should've just bit the bullet and went after Gibson in the offseason. Now we're stuck with 2 injury prone goalies on expiring contracts.
may you can pry away bobrovsky from the panthers, if you are looking for a long term contract. :sarcasm:

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Since this doesn't appear to be one of those indefinite injuries, I think we'll wait it out. The first two months of the season are pretty spread out, only 2-3 games per week. Our first b2b is at the end of November. We might not even need a backup once before Frankie is back.

I do expect we'll pick up an insurance #3 at the TDL when they're cheap.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
This is the exact reason they brought back JoJo.
Frankie will be back in like 3 weeks. If Kuemper gets hurt they may need to go down this road but right now they don’t need to trade for a goalie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad