Backstrom or Toews

sandbox

Nov 6, 2005
Man it seems like every week i'm changing my mind about who I think is better. Backstrom got out to the hot start in the SEL, then Toews ripped up the WJHC..Now they're both playing well for the WOrld Championships. Toews looked good against the Slovaks (right?) and I see backstrom has 3 assists.

What are your thoughts for long term projectability? Both stars and its a wash possibly?

Maybe Backstrom will get more points but Toews will be more valuable to a team? Or can Toews outscore backstrom as well?

Little Nilan

Oct 29, 2006
Praha
Gimme both please.

That said, I've been a huge fan of Toews since his first WJC. He has amazing versatility in his game. Top end skills and one of the best all around player I've seen at that age in a long time. I wouldn't put it past him to outscore Backstrom, but if I was a betting man I'd go with the slick swede.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
I don't know enough about Backstrom to really judge him, but I figure I don't need to... nobody is talking about Backstrom like he's quite the next Gretzky, Lemieux, Crosby or Ovechkin. Therefore, I'll take Toews. Toews is just that good IMHO. :clap:

sandbox

Nov 6, 2005
He's not that good, Those players are the 2 best in the game and the other 2 are possibly the best ever. I think if you're going to give Toews high praise you better compare him to someone like Sakic, not gretz.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
i would take toews. ima a HUGE fan of he's and i think he brings more to the table then backstrom. and i think they will be about equal in points so the choise for me is pretty easy.

sandbox

Nov 6, 2005
Keeping in mind Backstrom scored 40 points in 45 games and led his SEL team in scoring (playing with men). The next closest was 29 points..and he'll be with two of the best snipes in the league...Talk about assists...

But you're right, its realllllly close.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
He's not that good, Those players are the 2 best in the game and the other 2 are possibly the best ever. I think if you're going to give Toews high praise you better compare him to someone like Sakic, not gretz.
Huh? I didn't compare Toews to those guys. I just said that Backstrom doesn't seem to be compared to those guys. Therefore, if we're talking about two players who don't compare to those guys, and I know how good I think Toews is at the next level down (like the Sakics, but not Sakic-like) - or even the next level down from that - I'll take Toews. Backstrom can be as good, a little bit better, a little bit worse, it doesn't really matter because I'd be entirely satisfied with a Toews in hand if I get to pick between them.

BabyBennettov

May 2, 2002
Under the Sunshine
Visit site
I run into Jonathan Toews at the airport in Paris !

He was waiting a flight going to Helsinki for Canada training camp before the Worlds...

Had a good chat with him, since we are about the same age. Talk a little bit about hockey and all those stuff... He is really down to earth and he seems to have great great fun playing the game !

Even got his MSN adress, and I made a real fool out of me when my pen litteraly blew out while I was writing down... I had ink all over my hand ! :biglaugh:

Just wanted to share that little piece with you guys !

Oh and by the way... I'll take Toews over Backstrom, even if both are great and even if Backstrom has Ovechkin on his wing ! :yo:

whatthef

Failure is an Option
Mar 1, 2007
Upper Darby
Real tough. I'm real high on both players. I would have taken either of them over Staal in the draft last year (in fact I still would). But between the two I'd go with Backstrom by a hair.

AgentNaslund*

I take Toews. He was Mr.Clutch at the world Juinors. I remember against the Yanks, it was a shootout vest and he kept scoring.

Backstrom was shut down big time. Come clutch games, Toews is probably the type of guy that will show up.

whatthef

Failure is an Option
Mar 1, 2007
Upper Darby
I take Toews. He was Mr.Clutch at the world Juinors. I remember against the Yanks, it was a shootout vest and he kept scoring.

Backstrom was shut down big time. Come clutch games, Toews is probably the type of guy that will show up.

Backstrom was a force in the SEL playoffs though. From the clips I saw and what I read about the games he generated the majority of the teams offense.

Crazyhorse

Sep 2, 2006
Gothenburg

To early to be putting judgement on Bäckström, IMO.

Anyway, swedish papers where talking to Toews yesterday, and he said that he was looking forward to be playing against Bäckström again, he said that he had been following his progress, since they where in the same, top draft class.
They will clash on saturday in the IHWC-semifinal.

Erika

Jan 9, 2007
Gatineau
I'm a huge fan of both, but I'd take Nicklas Backstrom by a hair, just because I prefer a little bit more Backstrom playing style over Toews.

Zim

Jan 19, 2006
As a Chicago fan i'd be very happy with either. It is too soon to tell who is going to be better. However unless Toews has Havlat on his wing next year i doubt he will outscore Backstrom who will have Semin or Ovechkin as his winger. What i am most excited about from seeing this years WHC is that Toews seems to be a really good play maker on the PP and Chicago desperately need that.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
When praising Toews being a complete player package, don't forget that Bäckström has improved defensively as well. For example, he's been used on the PK together with Steen in the Swedish national team. This national team is not short of skilled defensive forwards either, I can tell you that.

Vindel

Mar 16, 2007
Stockholm
Honestly I can't understand the hype about Backstrom, I've seen him quite a bit and he's quite slow, quite weak and doesn't shoot well - he has good vision but that isn't enough...

Toews by a mile.

Crazyhorse

Sep 2, 2006
Gothenburg
Honestly I can't understand the hype about Backstrom, I've seen him quite a bit and he's quite slow, quite weak and doesn't shoot well - he has good vision but that isn't enough...

Toews by a mile.

Putting up similar points in the SEL at the same age as Forsberg and Sundin on a mediocre team will not get by unnoticed. Toews have been playing among boys, i would like to see his continuing play on the international level and NHL level before i put him ahead of Bäckström.

Zim

Jan 19, 2006
Putting up similar points in the SEL at the same age as Forsberg and Sundin on a mediocre team will not get by unnoticed. Toews have been playing among boys, i would like to see his continuing play on the international level and NHL level before i put him ahead of Bäckström.

I understand that Backstrom has been impressive in Sweden but just because he is doing well in a European league does not automatically mean that he will be a better NHL player or is further along in his development compared to Toews. I mean Toews is playing against men at this tournament and he has more points than Backstrom does that make him better? All i know so far is that whatever level Toews has played at during his career he has been a quality player. Honestly i have no idea who is going to be the better player at the moment and i don't think anybody will know until at least 3 years down the line.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad