Backstrom or Toews

PuckheadMcGillycuddy

Aug 12, 2002
Putting up similar points in the SEL at the same age as Forsberg and Sundin on a mediocre team will not get by unnoticed. Toews have been playing among boys, i would like to see his continuing play on the international level and NHL level before i put him ahead of Bäckström.

It's not the SEL, but to say he was playing with boys is erroneous. The WCHA is the best U.S. college league, and players are typically 21-23. Toews played this season as a sophomore at 18, making him one of the youngest players in the league. He was THE youngest player in the league as a freshman in 2005-06. So while it's not playing against professionals, it's inaccurate to say that he was "playing among boys" when he was facing guys who are typically three to five years older than him.

Crazyhorse

Sep 2, 2006
Gothenburg
I understand that Backstrom has been impressive in Sweden but just because he is doing well in a European league does not automatically mean that he will be a better NHL player or is further along in his development compared to Toews. I mean Toews is playing against men at this tournament and he has more points than Backstrom does that make him better? All i know so far is that whatever level Toews has played at during his career he has been a quality player. Honestly i have no idea who is going to be the better player at the moment and i don't think anybody will know until at least 3 years down the line.

This tournament is not a good measurement as you conclude, especially when one of the them are playing with established NHLers, and the other one is playing with a NHL thirdline grinder and a good SEL player.
We just have to wait and see as you say.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
I think the surprising thing about Toews at the WHC is how well he plays the low cycle/corners getting and winning pucks then making plays to the net--nobody would put that in a Sakic comparison---what we haven't seen is what I thought we would--ie. a lot of "open" shots on head-mans to him streaking in or on 2 on1 breaks
--but he is not in a "go to" role at the WHC as he was at North Dakota...however we know he can do that type of job as well...So--when they say "all round" player/versatile for a lot of different roles --combining both power and finesse--you know you have a really valuable player...

Yann

Apr 4, 2007
Ontario
Tough one, Backstrom will probably produce a bit more, but I think Toews will be the better overall player. Right now though its still up in the air

Chelios

Jan 1, 2004
Visit site
I have said it before, and I will say it again: If I had the 1st overall pick in last years draft Toews would have been my pick. It seemed the only negative thing anyone could say about him was that his offensive potential was "limited". I think we can safely put that concern to rest. As far as this comparison, I believe that offensively these two players are very close (something that few would admit until now). However Toews has a distinct advantage in virtually every other aspect of the game. The kid is clutch, he is a leader, he is a winner and he can defend with the best of him. Toews is the glimmer of hope for us Chicago fans.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
As a caps fan I was hoping for (in no particular order) toews or backstrom. Though in hindsight I think backstrom's game/style fits what the caps need which is nice when the BPA at that picks also fills a need. Both are great prospects.

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
Based on the World Championships, Toews in a landslide. I've seen nothing from Bäckström so far, our Bäckström has been better than him (and that's with the poor Russia game). :D

1.Your Backstrom probably is on Hawaii right now. Norrena played with Russia.
2.You have seen nothing from Backstrom? Maybe then you must watch some Swedish games?:sarcasm:
With Russia for example, or with Slovakia.

Toews playing alright, but I can't say that he's playing better than Backstrom. For example in QF he was pretty invisible.

Jysk

Jul 3, 2004
Skellefteå Sweden
Toews

I have seen Bäckström live 3 times this season and he has not impressed me, shure he had some nice passes on the pp but was not a dominate force that poeple was saying. I was expecting pretty much of him ...

sandbox

Nov 6, 2005
Toews

I have seen Bäckström live 3 times this season and he has not impressed me, shure he had some nice passes on the pp but was not a dominate force that poeple was saying. I was expecting pretty much of him ...

I hear a lot of people who aren't a fan of backstrom's skill set, but I don't understand how he puts up the points he does.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Toews is a tremendous player. I would have taken him second overall in his draft year, and still would.

Marco Corleone

Sep 6, 2004
Toews is a future NHL captain, and will b ea important player for Candada in the future Olympics.

Toews>>>>:yo:

SwOOsh*

I'm really high on both of them and think it's really close but would give the slight edge to Toews.

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
As a Chicago fan i'd be very happy with either. It is too soon to tell who is going to be better. However unless Toews has Havlat on his wing next year i doubt he will outscore Backstrom who will have Semin or Ovechkin as his winger. What i am most excited about from seeing this years WHC is that Toews seems to be a really good play maker on the PP and Chicago desperately need that.

Good point to bring up.

A lot will depend on who they play with...
If you're a betting man & it was about points only, then I'd say that Backstrom has the edge (PP with Ovechkin AND Semin...:amazed:). Then again...Toews will have Ruutu AND Havlat for his PP, and maybe even Handzus?).

That said, I'll be glad to take either one for my team!!:D

But if you forced me to choose one, I'd take TOEWS...

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
Toews is a tremendous player. I would have taken him second overall in his draft year, and still would.

Who would you have chosen for 1st overall? (still E. Johnson or J. Staal?).

In the end...it just might end up a...TIE between Toews, E Johnson, J Staal, and Backstrom!!

All four players (IMO) will be very, very important to their teams NOW and for the future...

For my team, if I can only choose one I'd probably flip a coin between Toews, E. Johnson and J. Staal...can't really lose!

Zim

Jan 19, 2006
I'm taking Backstrom, maybe right now Toews numbers are better but Backstrom's transition will be smother cause he's playing in a man's league.

It will be interesting to see if Backstrom can transition to the smaller ice surface and whether his play making suffers from the reduced room and higher speed/intensity of the NHL.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
I hear a lot of people who aren't a fan of backstrom's skill set, but I don't understand how he puts up the points he does.

He's a Gretzky-type player. Don't jump down my throat, I'm not saying he's on the level, I'm just saying he excels using hockey smarts, rather than great skills. Skillset doesn't blow you away, but he has a better sense of the game than just about anybody on the ice.

All of that being said, his hands are absolutely terrific, the puck seems as if it's glued to his stick at times.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
1. Niklas Backstrom
2. Jonathan Toews
3. Erik Johnson
4. Jordan Stall
5. Phil Kessell

1,2 and 3 are VERY close.

Something atleast I haven't seen been talked much about is Eric Johnsson's development.

Saw him live in a preseason game before the WCH, and a few times during it. This kid is a heck of a talent.

I actually like him more then Phaneuf.

Poise and hockeysense is A and O for a D in the NHL. Thoose kind of aspects can be hard to judge at the junior level, these kids are so talented that they get away with not always making the best decision. Eric got a ton of it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad