Backing Into Parking Spots

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
Is it a mental disease?

Seriously, unless you have a big truck or van WTF is the point? Just to piss people off and to show how great your precision driving is in reverse? Last time I checked it takes longer to back into a parking spot than it does to back out.

Think of all the people you know that back into parking spaces and pick out a common denominator in their personalities.

:popcorn:

Gimme a break. I want to have a clear view of what's going on when I pull out of a spot. Not have some airhead teen hits my passenger's side rear quarter because she's too busy texting Brittany and Courtney to watch where she's going or Jimmy Joe ****bag runs me down because he's got a TRUUUUUUUCCCK and he don't give a ****.

Massive fail of a post. Ban yourself and save any shred of dignity you may have left.

S A W F T*

Based on responses here and noticing a common denominator, it has been confirmed that backing into parking spots is indeed a mental disease.

We can only hope that science evolves enough in our lifetime to combat this terrible illness.

Gosh Bless

Bee Sheriff

Bad Boy Postingâ„¢
Nov 9, 2013
Tucson
Based on responses here and noticing a common denominator, it has been confirmed that backing into parking spots is indeed a mental disease.

We can only hope that science evolves enough in our lifetime to combat this terrible illness.

Gosh Bless

Make a list of pros and cons then

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
Is it a mental disease?

Seriously, unless you have a big truck or van WTF is the point? Just to piss people off and to show how great your precision driving is in reverse? Last time I checked it takes longer to back into a parking spot than it does to back out.

Last time I checked, it takes longer to back out of your parking lot than it does to drive straight out. So it depends if you are in a hurry to get to the place where you are parking at or if you are in a hurry when you leave. I back in at work for that exact reason.

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
Or a transparent car

article-2417772-1BC24545000005DC-17_634x421.jpg

There are 2 reasons why I didnt notice the car at first...

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
SAWFT is probably one of those guys who parks his 14 year old Nissan sideways in the back of the lot when he goes to his job at Orange Leaf.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
I back into my spot. Usually takes 1 try 95%

The trucks at my work are large and sometimes I think I am driving my CRV so I missed judge and it takes 2 tries. Especially when I have to solely rely on the side mirrors because I can't look back. (Honestly this is hard)
I just love having one hand on steering wheel. One on the passengers seat. And my head looking back. But nooooooo I gotta rely on side mirrors .. smh

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
Most people I know rarely back into a parking space.

I don't like doing it either, especially in bigger vehicles.

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
Due to how vehicles are constructed, where the front wheels turn and the back do not, backing into a spot is actually the more functional/precise method.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Due to how vehicles are constructed, where the front wheels turn and the back do not, backing into a spot is actually the more functional/precise method.

Yup and after you've practiced it a while it starts to be just as fast/faster than driving straight in to a spot. Especially if the spot is tight.

Devourers

Sep 20, 2013
Montreal
Backing in is the way to go IMO. I remember one time when I forward parked at work some idiot co-worker didn't wait for me to back out and when I was already 60%~ backed out he tried gunning it passed me, had to jam the break. I understand I probably should've been a bit more observant but decided with morons going 60km/h in a parking lot and gunning it to get around you as you pull out, might just be better to back in when it's quieter in the morning so I can just pull out when I leave.

jimmythescot

Jul 28, 2009
Edinburgh, Scotland
In this country if you're backing out of a space and someone runs into the back of you, it doesn't matter if you have stopped and they were doing 50 in a car park, the insurance company will say it's your fault. I learned that the hard way when a guy obviously wanted to write off his old car and accelerated into me. No witnesses. No CCTV.

Since then I always back in.

Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
Solution: i) If you can pull through 2 spots so that you are facing out of the parking spot and it looks like you reversed in take this option.

ii) If this is not an option pull into a parking spot normally.

EDIT: After doing some research and considering the tint on my new cars windows I feel that backing in is the appropriate move especially at night although priority already goes to option i).

Last edited:

Finnish your Czech

J'aime Les offres hostiles
Nov 25, 2009
Toronto
Solution: i) If you can pull through 2 spots so that you are facing out of the parking spot and it looks like you reversed in take this option.

ii) If this is not an option pull into a parking spot normally.

EDIT: After doing some research and considering the tint on my new cars windows I feel that backing in is the appropriate move especially at night although priority already goes to option i).

that's still more dangerous than........ just backing in

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad