Injury Report: Babcock: Polak is done for the rest of the year

deprw

Mar 7, 2010
Sucks because he's a UFA and based on his play this season he probably could have gotten a 2 year contract from a team. Hopefully the Leafs give him the best treatment possible.

I hope we sign him cap friendly deal despite the injury. Unless he can get better deal elsewhere, but I think that his injury will prevent that. Wouldn't be mad to see him as 6th or 7th dman next year with lower salary.

He earned lots of respect the way he played end of regular season and these two playoff games. Warrior.

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017
If he can't play again Leafs should resign him and put him on Robidas island as a thank you.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
I didn't see the full replay last night so I didn't notice his leg folded under him. I thought initially it was knee on knee. That's an unfortunate landing on an otherwise good hit. Really sucks to lose Polak, but it was nice to see Gardiner and Rielly step up the way they did.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I didn't see the full replay last night so I didn't notice his leg folded under him. I thought initially it was knee on knee. That's an unfortunate landing on an otherwise good hit. Really sucks to lose Polak, but it was nice to see Gardiner and Rielly step up the way they did.

He should have just went in square. Hope he gets better. Thinking ACL but could be a break even.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
So what's the defence next game if no Zaitsev?

Hunwick Rielly
Gardiner Carrick
Marincin Marchenko

Remember the Berg-Belak killer B's pairing I guess this will be the killer M's :)

They should have a rookie (Valiev) practicing with the team just in case.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Next up for the Leafs Defense group is......Drum Role...........
Stephane Robidas

senor martinez

Komarov's cohonez
Oct 1, 2014
Roman Polak surely did that for this season. He did that.

We are here THANKS TO HIM! Get well Roman Polak, you was a real fool for this team. Making our PK better, blocking, hitting and twerking muthas off. The Planet.

Polak, come back next season and be that biggest guy again-

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Roman Polak surely did that for this season. He did that.

We are here THANKS TO HIM! Get well Roman Polak, you was a real fool for this team. Making our PK better, blocking, hitting and twerking muthas off. The Planet.

Polak, come back next season and be that biggest guy again-
I vote this be voted as Polak's tag phrase.
"Roman Polak; twerking muthas off. The Planet since '04"

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Polak - I was really critical all season but you really stepped up when we needed it.. lots of credit to you and I hope you can recover ..knee injuries at this point in your career are tough to come back from

Same - one tough dude and that hurt me just watching it

GrizzLeaf

Registered Bear
Aug 13, 2010
Quebec
I watched the replay on youtube.

His ankle must be broken or all kinds of messed up. It's not the knee, although I imagine that hurt like heck as well.

The foot should never be pointing backwards like that. As he's laying on the ice, he reaches down, not to the knee, but down towards the ankle, calf area.

I sure hope he makes a full recovery. He's been a warrior down the stretch. Would be nice to see him come back and continue along that line. For the Leafs or whomever he signs with next season.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
He elevated his game for the playoffs and performed above expectations.

His size and strength and toughness will be missed.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
If Zaitsev not ready to go..

Marchenko will play the right side, whether he will be paired with Gardiner or Marincin is the question.

bansheebeat

Cherry-Coloured Funk
Jul 31, 2011
I think the Sharks win the cup last year if they had '17 Polak. Really sad to see. This man lives and breathes hockey and suffers an injury like this in the playoffs while playing the best hockey of his entire career. Much respect to Polak. He was indeed twerking mutha Ovi off the planet.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
I watched the replay on youtube.

His ankle must be broken or all kinds of messed up. It's not the knee, although I imagine that hurt like heck as well.

The foot should never be pointing backwards like that. As he's laying on the ice, he reaches down, not to the knee, but down towards the ankle, calf area.

I sure hope he makes a full recovery. He's been a warrior down the stretch. Would be nice to see him come back and continue along that line. For the Leafs or whomever he signs with next season.

That looked like it might be a compound fracture. Let's hope it's not a career ender as he's not under contract next year.

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
Pretty much this same play happened to me years ago except not only my body weight was going over my ankle, another player was jumping on me.

It wasnt broken but severe ligament and tendon damage. Looked like I had a golf ball growing off my ankle. Recovery time 6 months and for about 5 or 6 years I'd roll that ankle at least once a day just walking.

So doesn't look good for him. Wish you well Roman

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Poor guy was trying to make an aggressive play and now his career might be in jeopardy. I hope he can bounce back.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Our Defense gonna be marshmallow soft without him. Call up olseky

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
He will be missed , in the old days he would have it wrapped in plaster and with a few shots of novocaine per period be good to go . sighhhhhhhh ! so long Roman

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
Alzner is a free agent this summer, no? If the Caps choose to make room for Shattenkirk, it could mean the departure of Alzner. If that's the case, and Polak isn't coming back, I'd like to see the Leafs go after him. He's a guy that can play a ton of minutes, is very responsible in his own end, and can skate pretty well. Toronto needs guys like Jim, especially if this injury puts Polak's future in doubt

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad