Post-Game Talk: B2B Champs eh, Jets win 7-4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Woohoo! Time to celebrate a solid effort against the elite of the NHL. Putting 5 goals behind one of the best goalies in the world and playing solid defense and excellent special teams, what more can I say?!!!

I think we will finally catch lightning in a bottle and finish the season with enough consistency to grab a playoff spot.

The goals:
View attachment 513930

This game receives the full 5 Luc Stamps of Approval
View attachment 513931 View attachment 513931 View attachment 513931 View attachment 513931 View attachment 513931

You need to realize that game was just another example of Jets inconsistency, not the arrival of consistency.

Now, if they string together several games like that ..........

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Well we just saw the two time champs totoally shit the bed against an inferior team so there’s that. Tampa clearly lacks consistency.

Last night

Basement dwellers Devils beat contender Colorado 5-3 (Avs just aren’t consistent)
Philly sucks and beat Vegas 2-1
Worst team in the league Arizona clown pounds Detroit 9-2
Ottawa (rebuilding) pounds the blues 4-1 (Blues are inconsistent)

I think the sooner our fans can give up the notion that any team should look the same every night the better.

It’s the NHL and its pretty random.

The level of parity is higher than most fans seem to expect. X, Y and Z are bad teams, so we should beat them every time. It doesn't work that way. Any team really can beat any other team in any given game. Right now the worst team in the league on the season to date is 7-3 in their last 10 games. The second worst is 6-4 in their last 10. Meanwhile, we are 4-4-2 and seem to have been that for a very long time.

Potrzebie

Mar 25, 2010
Cool post.

Nowhere did I say that I care little about the Jets, in fact its quite the opposite.

I care little about a win that should mean a lot, because this team has no hope for this season and it's depressing that they show up and play great one night and look like they couldn't beat the expansion Thrashers the next night.

Now imagine a whole season where you know the team is relocating at the end.

Reactions: WolfHouse

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
That was fun. Nice to see our S% try to get to league averages. Some of the goal totals for individual players is gonna be something else at the end of the year.

Interestingly, in the month of March the Jets are 2nd in the NHL at 57.8 xG% at 5v5 but are shockingly 4th worst in actual goals at 35%.

If the Jets play like this until the end of the season, they will make the playoffs. I don’t expect that however.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Interestingly, in the month of March the Jets are 2nd in the NHL at 57.8 xG% at 5v5 but are shockingly 4th worst in actual goals at 35%.

If the Jets play like this until the end of the season, they will make the playoffs. I don’t expect that however.

Too few games left even if they get hot now.

Reactions: JetsFan815

Pandemonia

Aug 30, 2020
This will run counter to all the pessimists in here and their negative mantra, but I've decided to accept an invite to finally see a live Jets game.

I'm going to see the Las Vegas Golden Knights on the 22nd. And I don't care if we're eliminated from playoff contention by then, as long as I see an entertaining game. Ideally, it'll be something along the lines of the Lightning or the Canadiens victories, but I'll settle for something less cardiac that ends in a regulation win for us.

And perhaps by then they'll have cut back a little on the punishing sound levels in the arena?

Yeah, I know. No chance. But I'll risk it.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
This will run counter to all the pessimists in here and their negative mantra, but I've decided to accept an invite to finally see a live Jets game.

I'm going to see the Las Vegas Golden Knights on the 22nd. And I don't care if we're eliminated from playoff contention by then, as long as I see an entertaining game. Ideally, it'll be something along the lines of the Lightning or the Canadiens victories, but I'll settle for something less cardiac that ends in a regulation win for us.

And perhaps by then they'll have cut back a little on the punishing sound levels in the arena?

Yeah, I know. No chance. But I'll risk it.

I've never found it to be very loud but I haven't been in a couple of years so I may not be remembering it 100%.

Enjoy the game, just don't bring a purse. They don't let you in with that these days.

Pandemonia

Aug 30, 2020
I've never found it to be very loud but I haven't been in a couple of years so I may not be remembering it 100%.

Enjoy the game, just don't bring a purse. They don't let you in with that these days.

Carrying a purse is the least of my worries...

Potential

Nov 11, 2017
You know, I've been pretty hard on the Jets lately, I'll admit it. I try to be pretty optimistic with this team as more often than not, win or lose they play pretty exciting hockey, and that counts for a lot, and is a far cry from the Pavelec days (which were pretty low).

I guess I've just been worn down by the inconsistency, because the skill is there - you can see it like you did tonight. I've said it before, and I'll say it again because I still believe it, we have the skill to dummy any team in this league if we want to. But it takes hard work and commitment every time you're on the ice. I'm not saying that the Jets don't work hard, but relative to other teams, they aren't able to keep up on a consistent basis. Sometimes we play lights out, and other nights we look like we're just out of gas and give up.

Is it a psychology thing - is our confidence tenuous? We don't seem to be able to rebound from adversity particularly well - that is where leadership comes into play, both from the coach, and from the players. Do we have the right leaders? I think Dave is doing the best he can under incredibly difficult and unfair conditions, and I am not on the bench so I cannot say for certain, but perhaps our coaches need more help? Is it the players? Wheeler is the elder statesman of the team, and he has earned my respect with his skill and loyalty over the years, however I don't think he has it in him to be the leader this team needs right now - someone to take responsibility for the players, to motivate the team, and lead by example with hard, selfless work every shift. He is very stubborn though, so I don't think he would ever step down.

Is it training and/or conditioning? I'm wondering about this one. These guys are all pros, they have skill and know what they are doing, but sometimes we seem to be 2 steps behind the other team, or make just the strangest mistakes, and I can't help but wonder if we pay enough attention to conditioning and fundamentals. Anyone happen to attend any practices to know what these look like these days in comparison to others? I am very curious.

I don't know, I guess it's just that I see so much potential - this team could be so good if we just skated hard every night. There is so much skill here, and it's criminal that we're where we are in the standings.

Despite all of these things, I'll keep hoping for the team to make the playoffs. Go Jets Go!

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Only 4 pages after beating probably the best team in the NHL ? I get that some fans are frustrated with the Jets this year but ...... aaaah nevermind, Go Jets Go.

Eh, what do you expect?

Years of mediocrity will breed apathy.

No one's paying 100+ dollars to post on this message board. If they're shit and you don't like watching them, people will dip out.

It'll pick up near the TDL :laugh:

johnnyonthspot

Apr 1, 2012
I don’t understand this entire empty net points don’t count theory, typically if you get an empty net point that means you contributed to sealing the win for the team.

I agree if it makes it a 2 goal game ans Selfishly was anthing but on that play. It was a great pass that led to sealing the victory

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad