Player Discussion: Axel Jonsson Fjällby

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
4D chess by the Jets by saving sniper elite Kuhlman from being claimed and sneaking AJF through waivers
I'd say good management by Chevy. You would think he called around the league to see if there is any interest in the player before waiving him. For sure Seattle would have reclaimed Kuhlman, they don't have a lot of depth as an organization. Jets were lucky to only lose a bottom six player in the expansion draft to them, at the cost of this year's 4th to return. Getting a player for free out of Seattle helps the Jets depth and weakens their competition, where Poganski might be in that spot now. Now that AJF is cleared there is less of a concern at LW depth, especially with Harkins down in the minors too. Two week stint on the Moose, and maybe if Gustafsson can stay unhealthy to the deadline, the Jets expand their playoff roster at the deadline to 25 at the trade deadline, with Cap space to add more players. Could make for some good 4th line competition.

Reactions: Inanna and KingBogo

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I'd say good management by Chevy. You would think he called around the league to see if there is any interest in the player before waiving him. For sure Seattle would have reclaimed Kuhlman, they don't have a lot of depth as an organization. Jets were lucky to only lose a bottom six player in the expansion draft to them, at the cost of this year's 4th to return. Getting a player for free out of Seattle helps the Jets depth and weakens their competition, where Poganski might be in that spot now. Now that AJF is cleared there is less of a concern at LW depth, especially with Harkins down in the minors too. Two week stint on the Moose, and maybe if Gustafsson can stay unhealthy to the deadline, the Jets expand their playoff roster at the deadline to 25 at the trade deadline, with Cap space to add more players. Could make for some good 4th line competition.
Yeah it could have very well come down to who Chevy thought was more likely to get claimed and made his decision on what was his best chance to hold onto as much depth as possible.

Reactions: Inanna and voyageur

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
AJF and Kuhlman are of zero consequence. It's a silly debate. Neither one really needs a stick when they play, it's not like they score or even com close.

As much as I like the hustle and effort these guys can't be on a playoff roster.

Reactions: Jack7222 and DRW204

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
11 games 1 point, nothing to write home about. But how did he look playingwise this season?

Only time I noticed him last night was when he had a scoring chance. Didn't score.

He's been pretty unnoticeable all season I'd say. Which might be both good and bad, as it might mean he hasn't been too bad defensively.

But my memory might just be poor, haha

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Actually, I think AJF is the closest player to Tanev in terms of forechecking. He uses his speed and aggressiveness to put a lot of pressure on opposing D. He'll never score much, but he makes smart plays with the puck.

Just a good 4th liner for a high-pressure style.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Yeah I think what Fjallby does is seriously underrated on this forum. He doesn't sting on forecheck but his speed and pursuit has very similar effects. If he could ever find tune his shot (which is surprisingly hard) he'd be an everyday player.

Remember Tanev provided nearly zero offense at first too, and I think AJF is more talented than him.

Problem for sexy hair is that we're just to deep to have him in the lineup when we're healthy. I still think there's more there, though.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
When we lose a good player to waivers, why isn't it the default to celebrate the fact that we're so deep that we're actually losing good players?

The alternative is that you waive garbage and nobody claims them because they're garbage... "YAY.... we kept all our shit players!!!"

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Guess they kept Toni as C depth. Hope he clears, Moose could use another good F.

That and the fact that Toni has player very well recently.

Yes, hope he clears. OTOH, for his sake I hope someone wants to use him. I think he is a better player now than he was when we got him.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
When we lose a good player to waivers, why isn't it the default to celebrate the fact that we're so deep that we're actually losing good players?

The alternative is that you waive garbage and nobody claims them because they're garbage... "YAY.... we kept all our shit players!!!"

It is just that in this case. I doubt there is any outcry. When people think we kept the wrong player it is a different story.

It was a choice between AJF and Toninato. A coin toss, or close to it. Toni plays all 3 F positions and has played very well recently. So he stays. If he clear Axel will almost certainly be back. If not, he will get a new opportunity.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Monahan for AJF might net equal tho
1707250117481.png
vs.
1707250140309.png
?
I dunno...also consider that we lost the boyish good looks of Blake Wheeler, and the ruggedly handsome PLD since last season... :laugh:

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
It is just that in this case. I doubt there is any outcry. When people think we kept the wrong player it is a different story.

It was a choice between AJF and Toninato. A coin toss, or close to it. Toni plays all 3 F positions and has played very well recently. So he stays. If he clear Axel will almost certainly be back. If not, he will get a new opportunity.
It is all very subjective. Being a player drafted by the organization and being waived adds at least a 100 he was never given an opportunity posts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad