Confirmed with Link: Avs sign Saige Weinstein to a three-year entry-level contract

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Isn't that the difference between a NHL player and not sometimes? In all fairness lol.
Back in the '90s and early 2000s, sure with players like Ken Klee got a job. Nowadays? If Siemens or Jett Woo ain't getting NHL jobs, there's no way Weinstein is getting one at this current point in time. Hell, Josh Anderson was all about laying the body out and he's somewhere doing something I guess...

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Back in the '90s and early 2000s, sure with players like Ken Klee got a job. Nowadays? If Siemens or Jett Woo ain't getting NHL jobs, there's no way Weinstein is getting one at this current point in time. Hell, Josh Anderson was all about laying the body out and he's somewhere doing something I guess...

So you don't think the puck skill is there along with it? That would make sense to me.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
So you don't think the puck skill is there along with it? That would make sense to me.
I am all about defensive defencemen needing to have some offence in juniors to have a passable level the higher they go (not in terms of points, but skill stick ability). There are definite exceptions to that rule like Kleven (OTT draft pick), but those tend to be rare. Even someone like Mattias Samuelsson was able to put up decent nums in junior and a bit in college. Weinstein has the bare minimum and he ain't 6'4" or 6'5" like other shutdown defencemen with a crazy wingspan and long stick. I don't know if you ever played hockey in your past Cobra, but there's this defenceman I play against who is 6'4" and possesses a 6'7" wingspan and he is absolutely unstoppable in beer league (competitive level too, like against ex-ECHLers, WHLers, USHLers, and DI NCAAers).

Reactions: CobraAcesS

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I am all about defensive defencemen needing to have some offence in juniors to have a passable level the higher they go (not in terms of points, but skill stick ability). There are definite exceptions to that rule like Kleven (OTT draft pick), but those tend to be rare. Even someone like Mattias Samuelsson was able to put up decent nums in junior and a bit in college. Weinstein has the bare minimum and he ain't 6'4" or 6'5" like other shutdown defencemen with a crazy wingspan and long stick. I don't know if you ever played hockey in your past Cobra, but there's this defenceman I play against who is 6'4" and possesses a 6'7" wingspan and he is absolutely unstoppable in beer league (competitive level too, like against ex-ECHLers, WHLers, USHLers, and DI NCAAers).

On blades in California until 11 is the extent of my playing time, and some pretty embarrassing pond hockey without the ability to stop well in the Winter in Washington State lol. Thank God there was snow and not boards as a backstop. 🤣

I figured that's what you meant, it really sucked Duncan couldn't develop more in that area.

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
Going back to previous scouting regimes but the Avs just do not have an eye for low skill larger d men:

- Nigel Williams
- Colby Cohen
- Duncan Siemens
- Nic Meloche
- Andrei Mironov
- Josh Anderson
- Nikita Ishimnikov

Just draft the small skill guys and trade them at least you can hit on those picks with some regularity.

Reactions: Foppa2118

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021
Going back to previous scouting regimes but the Avs just do not have an eye for low skill larger d men:

- Nigel Williams
- Colby Cohen
- Duncan Siemens
- Nic Meloche
- Andrei Mironov
- Josh Anderson
- Nikita Ishimnikov

Just draft the small skill guys and trade them at least you can hit on those picks with some regularity.
Weistein will likely end up 6 ft 200 lbs.

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021
So what was your first comment about then you’ve contradicted yourself…
how so ?

If you mean small now , you expect him to be 175 at 23 ?

He already hits hard at his size now.

I don't consider that small . shouldn't be hard for him to put on 20 to 25 lbs I wouldn't think

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
how so ?

I don't consider that small . shouldn't be hard for him to put on 20 to 25 lbs I wouldn't think
I said the Avs can’t draft big low skill guys. I assumed you were saying he’s not big since he’s going to be 6’ 200lb (this is not big for the nhl).

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
how so ?

Unless a player is 6'3" 180... 20-25lbs doesn't happen unless they go all fatty. Today's training 10-15 is much more common and should be. 6' 195ish will be Weinstein's size when all is said and done. And yeah that isn't 'small' but below average. It is very small however for a guy who relies on physicality as his key trait.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad