Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 18-19 part XXVIII|Sakic Did Nothing Again vs. Sakic Waits Patiently

Status
Not open for further replies.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
That can't be right, the previous ~20 games had already proven that he's capable of being a #1 and deserves the 7-8M he'll get this summer. If something's already been proven, it can't be unproven.
Are you being sarcastic? It's hard to tell online.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Last 3 games is a proof that Barrie shouldn't be playing #1D minutes and shouldn't get paid #1D money. Play him #3 minutes and pay him #3 money.

Also if EJ stays like this he's a bottom pairing D next year and a buyout candidate the following year. It's crazy how much he declined in a single year.

But Game 2

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
That can't be right, the previous ~20 games had already proven that he's capable of dragging a team to the postseason as its #1 and deserves the 7-8M he'll get this summer. If something's already been proven, it can't be unproven.

Trying not to jump into a Tyson Barrie conversation, but part of a potential problem could be if he and Newport are asking for closer to $8.5-9M long term, and don't plan on budging much from that until July 1st next year. That's always been my concern personally. What do the Avs do then?

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
To keep numbers in perspective, John Carlson who we can all agree is better than Tyson Barrie just signed for 8M/year after winning the Stanley Cup and a career year. The highest paid dman in the league this year was PK Subban at 9M (and he won a Norris before signing that contract, and they are trying to move him because he makes too much).

Reactions: BigMack29

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
To keep numbers in perspective, John Carlson who we can all agree is better than Tyson Barrie just signed for 8M/year after winning the Stanley Cup and a career year. The highest paid dman in the league this year was PK Subban at 9M (and he won a Norris before signing that contract, and they are trying to move him because he makes too much).

Doughty makes 11 million AAV. That's just off the top of my head.

Mac2Rants

Sep 25, 2017
NS
I was going to ask this after 20 or so games in could EJ be playing like this to stay uninjured?

Foxtail

Mar 31, 2018
Nova Scotia
Trying not to jump into a Tyson Barrie conversation, but part of a potential problem could be if he and Newport are asking for closer to $8.5-9M long term, and don't plan on budging much from that until July 1st next year. That's always been my concern personally. What do the Avs do then?
Trade him

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017

There are so many $$$ amounts on Barrie’s next contract, but try to be realistic and use the salaries of similar players.

Here are the Top salaries for his position:

Doughty - $11M
Subban - $9M
OEL - $8.25M
Carlson - $8M
Burns - $8M
Hedman - $7.9M
Weber - $7.8M
Byfuglien - $7.6M
Suter - $7.53M
Ekblad - $7.5M

Barrie is not better than any of these players listed and can’t see Sakic overpaying.

Good for approx 50 point seasons, he’s not going to improve and might have already plateaued. He will likely stay at this level for the next 3-4 years before a rapid decline. He plays a type of game that is mostly offence and not very good defensively. Not overly fast, does not rush the puck or smart enough to control the play.

The most he should earn is $7.5M per.

Newport might believe otherwise, but it’s hard to justify a higher amount. Some teams might be willing to pay for a 50 point roving DMan, but the AVs have Makar/Girard on the team. They could be adding Byram or another DMan at the draft to further soften his loss.

I’m sure they’ll be an effort to keep him. Barrie is just not a Top 10 DMan and wanting to be paid like one, I expect him to be traded in the off-season.

NHL Rankings

Hornstar

Feb 3, 2018
There are so many $$$ amounts on Barrie’s next contract, but try to be realistic and use the salaries of similar players.

Doughty - $11M
Subban - $9M
OEL - $8.25M
Carlson - $8M
Burns - $8M
Hedman - $7.9M
Weber - $7.8M
Byfuglien - $7.6M
Suter - $7.53M
Ekblad - $7.5M

Barrie is not better than any of these players listed and can’t see Sakic overpaying.

Good for approx 50 point seasons, he’s not going to improve and might have already plateaued. He will likely stay at this level for the next 3-4 years before a rapid decline. He plays a type of game that is mostly offence and not very good defensively. Not overly fast, does not rush the puck or smart enough to control the play.

Newport might believe otherwise, but it’s hard to justify a higher amount. Some teams might be willing to pay for a 50 point roving DMan, but the AVs have Makar/Girard on the team. They could be adding Byram or another DMan at the draft to further soften his loss.

I’m sure they’ll be an effort to keep him. Barrie is just not a Top 10 DMan and wanting to be paid like one, I expect him to be traded in the off-season.

NHL Rankings
Not disputing your post but I wouldn't trade Barrie for the top four on your list.

Reactions: Pokecheque

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007

That's the problem with Barrie imo, he's super difficult to peg a value or who he's better than. There's few defenders in the league that are offensively as gifted as him, but his overall game is a detriment sometimes. I don't think there's a strong argument for somewhere inbetween with him, he's going to be looking for 8mil-ish. And he'll probably get paid it (look at Shattenkirk). But is he really worth that? Guess we'll see eventually.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
None of these contracts were nearly as bad as Nylander's and Matthews' at the time of the signings (which is what matters). I don't think you realize the magnitude of the Matthews **** up. That contract would be abysmal for the Leafs even if it was for McDavid.

I still think you’re laying the hyperbole on quite a bit here. We will see how things pan out with Marner this offseason. I still think Nylander will he traded before that contract expires, regardless of whatever verbal commitment Dubas made.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

They ask Tyson how much he wants because it's his call, not Newport's?

Ah yes, and Mikko should sign for 7.5M because that's what Tarasenko took years ago too!

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Barrie's value isn't really all that hard to peg... he falls below the very top guys 5 or so guys, but ahead of 30. Salaries will rise a bit from when those deals were signed, so deals this year will influence what Barrie gets. His market now is between 7-8 and probably near the middle. If Karlsson resets the defensemen cap (likely) at 12-14m, then you have to add in a ~5-10% increase. Barrie isn't a #1, but he is a #2 and a damn good one. If he had a #2 beside him like a prime Vlasic or Hammer... you'd have a high end top pairing. Barrie struggles when he has to be the #1 for a long stretch, but can pull it off in spurts.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Barrie is not worth a massive long term contract, if the cap hit is 7+ then at least keep the term low

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
You can argue that you think this team would be better served spending that capspace elsewhere, but Tyson Barrie is objectively worth 7+ in today's NHL :dunno:
7+ million is pretty much what he should get. However, I do worry about the term and hope its not more than 5 years.

OwenNolan

Jul 4, 2016

Doughty - $11M
Subban - $9M
OEL - $8.25M
Carlson - $8M
Burns - $8M
Hedman - $7.9M
Weber - $7.8M
Byfuglien - $7.6M
Suter - $7.53M
Ekblad - $7.5M

NHL Rankings

It's blatantly obvious that Makar and Girard have become our top pairing.

Makar has 6 points in 9 playoff games and alot of those points are when he is playing with the Mack line. Coincidently, Barrie has gone 4 games without a point and you have to wonder if it is because he isn't skating with the Mack line as much. I also think it wont be long until Makar takes Barries minutes on the top PP unit.

I like our D pairings. Barrie is the ideal partner for Zadorov and EJ and Cole are the wily old vets to play a shut down role.

So the question is do we pay Barrie a John Carlson contract of 8M a year to be at best our #3 Dman? What happens when Girards contract comes up then? Does he get more than Barrie? That isn't financially feasible.

If we want a 2nd pairing puck moving dman sign a guy like Jake Gardiner or Tyler Myers to a 5m a year deal to pair with Zadorov and flip Barrie for a top 6 forward. Or even sign a guy like Ben Chiarot who is a dependable top 4 guy to a modest deal if we don't want to spend as much and draft a dman to develop.

Sign:

LW- Michael Ferland 5 years, 22.5m
D- Tyler Myers 4 years, 20m

Re-Sign:

RW- Colin Wilson 3 years, 9m
RW- Gabriel Bourque 1 year
G- Pavel Francouz

Trade D- Tyson Barrie and F- Alex Kerfoot to EDM for C- Ryan Nugent Hopkins and RW- Zach Kassian

Landeskog- Mack- Rantanen
Ferland- RNH- Compher
Nieto- Jost- Wilson
Calvert- Soda- Kassian
Bourque

Makar - Girard
Myers - Zadorov
Cole - EJ
Graves - Barberio

Grubauer
Francouz

Draft:

1.4: C- Cozens / Dach / Turcotte
1.18: D- Thomas Harley

Prospects:

C- 2020 draft
C- Vlad Kaminev
C- Shane Bowers
RW- Martin Kaut
D- Conner Timmins
D- 2020 draft
RW- Nick Henry
RW- Sampo Ranta
LW- Cam Morrison

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
...shouldn't our top pairing be getting the most PT at ES? :sarcasm:

PS - I do still love the idea of replacing Barrie with an even softer & worse-defensively PMD, just because that PMD happens to be 8 feet tall :laugh:
You don't need to see them play if they're 6'8".

Reactions: cgf
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad