Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 18-19 part XXVIII|Sakic Did Nothing Again vs. Sakic Waits Patiently

Status
Not open for further replies.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Again I am not the biggest Hayes fan, but I am not totally against having him here. I think his talent is overrated from one good season under his belt, but he absolutely would fill the 2nd line position quite well. Especially if we decide to draft a centre with 4th overall, which then Hayes can move to the 2nd line wing. He should also age pretty well since he doesn't play play an overly physically game either. I thought he looked good with the Jets and that's with Maurice not really using him properly either. He's a solid player, but won't be a difference maker here. He would be here just to take pressure off the first line.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
To me, if you can get Hayes on a reasonableish deal... you're setting the team up well. Next season Hayes is the #2 with Soda as the #3. Hayes is better defensively than Soda, but either can play a shutdown role. Then when Soda walks next summer, the center the Avs hopefully draft can slide in as a sheltered #3C while Hayes does heavy lifting. Then in the summer 2021 Hayes is either exposed in the expansion draft and taken... or he isn't and slides into the #3C role while sheltering and grooming Bowers to take over (when that happens move Hayes to RW). Paying a bit more to make the deal 4 years would certainly be my preference. You get his final prime years and a good succession plan.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Yeah, if we aren't going to fill that spot via trade, Hayes could certainly be an adequate solution...especially if we acquire someone like Zucker for the top line, so that Mikko can be the 2nd line anchor.

...even if he's a much less exciting solution than EJ <--> Kadri+Marleau or using that 4th pick to trade for a young 1b C...

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
To me, if you can get Hayes on a reasonableish deal... you're setting the team up well. Next season Hayes is the #2 with Soda as the #3. Hayes is better defensively than Soda, but either can play a shutdown role. Then when Soda walks next summer, the center the Avs hopefully draft can slide in as a sheltered #3C while Hayes does heavy lifting. Then in the summer 2021 Hayes is either exposed in the expansion draft and taken... or he isn't and slides into the #3C role while sheltering and grooming Bowers to take over (when that happens move Hayes to RW). Paying a bit more to make the deal 4 years would certainly be my preference. You get his final prime years and a good succession plan.

Hayes does fill a lot of needs and reduces the urgency of the:

Sens Pick/Jost/Kamenev/Bowers/Compher

To move into the 3C or 4C role.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Another player I hope Avs go after for the right price of course is Brandon Tanev from the Jets. There's a chance he probably turns into Matt Calvert 2.0 this offseason, but man he has developed into a fantastic role player.

Reactions: BigMack29

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
Another player I hope Avs go after for the right price of course is Brandon Tanev from the Jets. There's a chance he probably turns into Matt Calvert 2.0 this offseason, but man he has developed into a fantastic role player.

He'd be a great depth player, and he has way more offensive upside than Calvert imo. I don't think the Jets let him walk though.

Foxtail

Mar 31, 2018
Nova Scotia
I'd be down with that . Rather stay patient and add that kind of player. Unless we trade for someone . The big free agents for #2 C don't excite me. Hayes was virtually invisible for the Jets . The last regular season game we played against them I never heard his name until late in the game on his off wing fanned shot attempt. He's going to want 7 years big money, no way Joe is even touching that , thankfully .

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
On second thought, I dunno if I'd be a fan of going after Tanev. Great role player... But I'd rather not have to pay the UFA price for all our bottom 6 guys. We need cheap bottom 6 players if we're to build a really good team or else we'll end up having to offload them with good pieces to keep everyone.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
On second thought, I dunno if I'd be a fan of going after Tanev. Great role player... But I'd rather not have to pay the UFA price for all our bottom 6 guys. We need cheap bottom 6 players if we're to build a really good team or else we'll end up having to offload them with good pieces to keep everyone.
I agree. Tanev is a good role player, but we don't need another player of that level coming from outside the organization unless he directly replaces a player in the same role. Get a better player or get no one.

Reactions: avsfan09

Foxtail

Mar 31, 2018
Nova Scotia
I agree. Tanev is a good role player, but we don't need another player of that level coming from outside the organization unless he directly replaces a player in the same role. Get a better player or get no one.
Wouldn't he be replacing Gork , Ghetto and possibly Kam ? I mean no one is talking top 6 for him

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Wouldn't he be replacing Gork , Ghetto and possibly Kam ? I mean no one is talking top 6 for him
Yes, well I should have specified I was thinking in terms of salary structure/team structure. By all means, I'm not opposed to him replacing Gabriel Bourque, but is that what would happen?

Reactions: BigMack29

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Calvert makes roughly 3 million, and Tanev is just as good if not quite a bit better. Paying roughly 6 million for 2 bottom 6ers versus say 2 or 3 million. All about $$$ and that money should be given to the top guys and let the bottom guys go when they get too expensive.

Reactions: UncleRisto

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I'd love Tanev here... but I wouldn't go past 2.25m and that isn't going to bring him in. Somebody will hit 3.25... maybe 3.5.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I want Vincent Trocheck. I feel like I am doing the @cgf thing where you get so enamoured with a player that you start believing your own speculation about a player being available and what it would take to get said player.

But I feel like, with the potential rumors around Panarin and Malkin to Florida... I just feel like it might actually hold some weight that Trocheck could be the one out in a futures heavy package if they plan to bring in both Malkin and Panarin. Especially with Borgstrom as the 3C as well already.

Trocheck would be such a fantastic piece to slot in behind Mack as the 2C of this team. A perfect fit.

Foxtail

Mar 31, 2018
Nova Scotia
I want Vincent Trocheck. I feel like I am doing the @cgf thing where you get so enamoured with a player that you start believing your own speculation about a player being available and what it would take to get said player.

But I feel like, with the potential rumors around Panarin and Malkin to Florida... I just feel like it might actually hold some weight that Trocheck could be the one out in a futures heavy package if they plan to bring in both Malkin and Panarin. Especially with Borgstrom as the 3C as well already.

Trocheck would be such a fantastic piece to slot in behind Mack as the 2C of this team. A perfect fit.
Florida as going to do something, Don't forget Densenlo is coming although not likely next year

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
There are some warning signs out there on Trocheck... he gets tunnel vision, he doesn't utilize teammates well, isn't big, on an aging curve he has peaked while having ~2-3 more years of prime... I see a lot of positives to bringing him in and for the right price I certainly would. I'd say there are reasons to think he is more of a low 50 point sort of center that can play in all situations but will frustrate you a bit than a high end #2C.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Again I am not the biggest Hayes fan, but I am not totally against having him here. I think his talent is overrated from one good season under his belt, but he absolutely would fill the 2nd line position quite well. Especially if we decide to draft a centre with 4th overall, which then Hayes can move to the 2nd line wing. He should also age pretty well since he doesn't play play an overly physically game either. I thought he looked good with the Jets and that's with Maurice not really using him properly either. He's a solid player, but won't be a difference maker here. He would be here just to take pressure off the first line.

I think Hayes is overrated and will be pretty badly overpaid for what he bring, with that said if he was willing to take a 3-4 year deal he would fit what the Avs are trying to do so well it would still be worth it for me. Letting him play 2c while a Turcotte & Bowers develop and then possibly replacing Soda as a strong 3c just really meshes well with what the team is trying to do atm. I was against it for a while but I think now I am for the idea given the Avs needs and current position.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
There are some warning signs out there on Trocheck... he gets tunnel vision, he doesn't utilize teammates well, isn't big, on an aging curve he has peaked while having ~2-3 more years of prime... I see a lot of positives to bringing him in and for the right price I certainly would. I'd say there are reasons to think he is more of a low 50 point sort of center that can play in all situations but will frustrate you a bit than a high end #2C.

I see his name a lot as a desirable player, which I totally understand but is there anything to suggest the guy is even available? Fla loves the guy and while they have an abundance of wingers unless they really believe in Borg I wouldn't consider C a position of depth.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
There are some warning signs out there on Trocheck... he gets tunnel vision, he doesn't utilize teammates well, isn't big, on an aging curve he has peaked while having ~2-3 more years of prime.

Agreed he was very promising at one point but red flags started to pop up. Not as bad as a guy like Wennberg but they are still there.

If were going the Florida route I'd much rather go after Huberdeau.

Reactions: avsfan09

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Drae is the only guy I've done that with who wasn't (at least quietly) available...and with Chia in charge, there was always a chance for exceptional stupidity...

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Boy I may be in the extreme minority here but if the deal was Malkin-for-Trocheck +...I would not do that deal if I'm Florida.

Florida not only sees what winning has done for Carolina's bottom line, they took the leash off Tallon. They will be going all in this summer. Trocheck + for Malkin, Bread and Bob signing, and Risto trade wouldn't shock me at all. For better or worse, Tallon is going to move his chips to the center.

Reactions: Meeqs
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad