Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 17-18 Part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

lonelybadger

Feb 22, 2013
Toronto
I think after seeing what McDavid did with Maroon, you could safely assume Andrighetto would be fine with the Oilers. I think they are hoping Poolparty and Nuge can provide their non McDrais scoring.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
If that's the case, which most likely is, then there is absolutely zero point in needing to trade him. Avs need more players like him, not less.

You said that Ghetto would "fit Oilers like a glove", which I tend to agree with. He's a secondary scorer that has all the strengths Oilers would rave over and would make their team better. So why do that trade when the value would ultimately decrease? The main point is to win trades, not to make other teams better and reduce the trade value you got in return, which this trade would do in the end.

I think you're misunderstanding me. Or at least misunderstanding my purpose.

The fit he would have in Edmonton, based on their need would potentially make Edmonton pay more for him than he's worth. That's my reasoning for mentioning them in this hypothetical.

I'm not saying Andrighetto would do better in Edmonton than he would in Colorado so Joe Sakic should do Sven the favor of sending him to a place where he would find better success. I'm saying Edmonton might target him based on his good fitting qualities both on the ice and on the books and give us good value based on that. When you consider roster space and future salaries Andrighetto may potentially be somewhat obsolete in Colorado and if a team like Edmonton is willing to overpay to add him to their roster based on what he brings now, I think Colorado should look at it.

Reactions: cgf and S E P H

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
Ok, so we need defense and a legit 2C and winger prospects.

Andrighetto being traded for a draft pick doesn't change that at all. He's a producing winger.

And to trade him for a winger prospect, also gives you a much higher probability that you don't get a player better than him, if he continues to be a 50+ point winger.

And if he carries that kind of value, why do we need to flip him for a pick, so that we can then flip the pick+ for what we want.

Just flip Andrighetto+ for what we want.

Seems like we're taking extra unnecessary steps for nothing here.

Ah, but, new is always better.

Last edited:

Brett44

Feb 11, 2017
Ghetto, Meloche or Timmins and second 2018 from Nashville.
from Edmonton who's coming back?

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Ghetto, Meloche or Timmins and second 2018 from Nashville.
from Edmonton who's coming back?
That's an odd trade and only happens in video games. Edmonton are in win now mode. We don't add prospects or picks to a guy like Andrighetto for Edmonton to take on. That doesn't make any sense since all it does is increase the value of what Edmonton gives back to us.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
The issue with me as far as Ghetto is we are getting really crowded at fwd

We were already crowded with Duchene here and now that Kam is up its still super crowded
Not saying they should just deal him but if Kam, Jost and JTC can stay healthy and produce and a GM comes offering a high pick (which still seems super unlikely at this point) i cant see how they turn that down
So trade Comeau who is very unlikely to be here after this year. Or Soderberg who isn't likely a long term option. Wilson and Yak are less likely to be long term options as well. Nieto is much easier replaced.

There are so many guys we should be talking about trading before Ghetto.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
I suppose it should be pointed out that this team is 8-7-1 after 16 games despite uneven play, injuries, and inconsistent goaltending.

There's a ton of room for improvement but this is by no means a horrible team, unlike last year.
Last year we were 9-9 before the bottom fell out.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
If that's the case, which most likely is, then there is absolutely zero point in needing to trade him. Avs need more players like him, not less.

You said that Ghetto would "fit Oilers like a glove", which I tend to agree with. He's a secondary scorer that has all the strengths Oilers would rave over and would make their team better. So why do that trade when the value would ultimately decrease? The main point is to win trades, not to make other teams better and reduce the trade value you got in return, which this trade would do in the end.

Getting a 1st for Ghetto is a won trade whether it's a late 1st or a top 10 pick. This is a guy who we got for Biffkaka less than a year ago.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
So trade Comeau who is very unlikely to be here after this year. Or Soderberg who isn't likely a long term option. Wilson and Yak are less likely to be long term options as well. Nieto is much easier replaced.

There are so many guys we should be talking about trading before Ghetto.

I'd deal Comeau & Soda to, but Ghetto is much more likely to return us a quality return than Wilson, Nieto & Yak are.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
You guys can't honestly believe that he's gone from waiver pick up to 1st rounder after 40 games.

IMO I just keep reading circular logic.

Reactions: Balthazar

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
Getting a 1st for Ghetto is a won trade whether it's a late 1st or a top 10 pick. This is a guy who we got for Biffkaka less than a year ago.

It doesnt matter how we got him. All that matters is what he is providing and what people think he will provide in the future. If you think he will be just a 40 point player or so then sure trade him for a late first. If he keeps this pace up, or turns into a ~50 point player then he is worth more than a late first.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I don't know. Seems like a pretty incredible increase for just 40 games of play.

I'd imagine teams will have the same worries about regression that some of you have.
Don't quote me and say "some of you" when I said no such thing. I don't have worries or regression. In fact I stated that I believe his play is mostly sustainable.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
You know that, if we trade Ghetto to EDM for their 1st, it's going to be Top 10 protected, right?

And if they don't make the playoffs, they'll win the lottery.

We'll get their 2019 1st, which will be a late 1st.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
Don't quote me and say "some of you" when I said no such thing. I don't have worries or regression. In fact I stated that I believe his play is mostly sustainable.

Woah, sorry. I'm just going with the flow of the conversation here. Didn't mean to mention you specifically.

The first paragraph was specifically for you.

The second was a general thought towards the board.

Not trying to throw anyone under the bus here. Just sharing ideas.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017

Ghetto has been playing with Mack, Duchene and Kerfoot, yet, continues to score. I have no concerns about regression as will likely have him paired with an even stronger scoring Centre.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
AVS have zero reason to trade Ghetto and I don't understand why this is being discussed. His value to the AVS is greater than his value on the market and we just lost a top 6 player in Duchene. Ghetto trade talk doesn't make any sense whatsoever. He's 24, he's cheap...wtf. What's next? Rants for picks?

Reactions: Bender and JLo217

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
AVS have zero reason to trade Ghetto and I don't understand why this is being discussed. His value to the AVS is greater than his value on the market and we just lost a top 6 player in Duchene. Ghetto trade talk doesn't make any sense whatsoever. He's 24, he's cheap...wtf. What's next? Rants for picks?
Depends. Do you mean draft picks or Calvin Pickard?

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
I don't quite understand why it is hard to grasp that trading Ghetto makes sense if we can get a good return for him...

The Avs are clearly building for the future. And IMO Ghetto won't be part of that longterm future either way hopefully.

If he continues his torrid pace, he will demand way too much money on his next contract and I really wouldn't want to give it to him given that aside from his ability to put points on the boards, his overall game is not all that strong. But points really matter when it comes to his next paycheck so odds are the contract would be pretty bad.

We also already have a guy like Kerfoot and to a lesser extent Jost who are smaller offensive first type of players.

So if we are not trying to win now and if he is not part of our future plans, why the hell wouldn't you sell high on him and his cheap contract right now?

Why would you wait till his great contract runs out or till he stops putting up points and therefore becomes a liability in our top6?

Ghetto is not part of our core and potentially could have really good value as a complimentary piece for a team that wants to contend.

So other teams could get more usage out of Ghetto and his cheap contract as the Avs and might be willing to give us something that could have more value to our longterm future than Ghetto..

I also don't care if it is a mid or late 1st.

You take a 1st for Ghetto. No questions asked.

Lets not act like he is some sort of core piece.

IMO the biggest boost to his value is his contract right now as well as his great scoring pace that might not be sustainable in the longrun.
So time to cash in.

Reactions: cgf

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I don't quite understand why it is hard to grasp that trading Ghetto makes sense if we can get a good return for him...

The Avs are clearly building for the future. And IMO Ghetto won't be part of that longterm future either way hopefully.

If he continues his torrid pace, he will demand way too much money on his next contract and I really wouldn't want to give it to him given that aside from his ability to put points on the boards, his overall game is not all that strong. But points really matter when it comes to his next paycheck so odds are the contract would be pretty bad.

We also already have a guy like Kerfoot and to a lesser extent Jost who are smaller offensive first type of players.

So if we are not trying to win now and if he is not part of our future plans, why the hell wouldn't you sell high on him and his cheap contract right now?

Why would you wait till his great contract runs out or till he stops putting up points and therefore becomes a liability in our top6?

Because the team is not tanking. We're not trading Comeau because he's playing well. We're not trading Ghetto because he's young and cheap. The team isn't trying to lose.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Most likely Andrighetto's production will go down now he's not on the top line. I suspect playoff teams want a longer track record than a hot 40 games anyway.

You can probably get Neal for a 1st.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad