Seravalli: Avs looking to add a goalie

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Quite frankly Vladar is probably one of the very last goalies I would want for free at this point. $2.2M for 2 more years for an extremely mediocre goalie? Absolutely no thanks.

I'd rather just about anyone else.

How is 2.2 for 2 seasons a bad contract? What NHL calibre goalie do you expect to take less than that? If a goalie is taking less than 2.2 million and only for one season, he's probably a lot less steady than Vladar.

• Haha
Reactions: Pierce Hawthorne

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
How is 2.2 for 2 seasons a bad contract? What NHL calibre goalie do you expect to take less than that? If a goalie is taking less than 2.2 million and only for one season, he's probably a lot less steady than Vladar.
Literally any decent backup goalie :laugh:

How is that even something you'd call into question...

This summer alone we had:

- Reimer $1.5M
- Talbot $1.0M
- Raanta $1.5M
- Nedelkjovic $1.5M
- Stalock $800k

Jaroslav Halak could probably be signed for league minimum right now.

While Vladar is getting $2.25M for a career .899 sv% and coming off an .895 year. All of those guys had similar or better numbers to Vladar last year.

It's a terrible contract for a backup goalie which is literally all Colorado wants.

Reactions: banks and The Moops

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Literally any decent backup goalie :laugh:

How is that even something you'd call into question...

This summer alone we had:

- Reimer $1.5M
- Talbot $1.0M
- Raanta $1.5M
- Nedelkjovic $1.5M
- Stalock $800k

Jaroslav Halak could probably be signed for league minimum right now.

While Vladar is getting $2.25M for a career .899 sv% and coming off an .895 year. All of those guys had similar or better numbers to Vladar last year.

It's a terrible contract for a backup goalie which is literally all Colorado wants.

If you're goin strictly by looking at stats, you're going to get what you deserve.

Chose

Loyal Habs fan
Aug 4, 2022
Montréal
1695145655603.png

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Ah yes, the stats don't support what you believe so they're wrong!

We want a backup goalie that can give us .900 hockey. Literally all of those guys will give us that.

The Flames system last year was trainwreck for Save percentages, and it stopped all the easy shots but let through an extremely high proportion of high danger chances.

You've also listed Reimer (.890), Talbot (.898), and Nedelkjovic (.895) who had less than .900 SV% and Raanta and Stalock, who are 34 and 36 and not available.

Anyways, this is all a moot point as it looks like the Vladar deal is getting done and you're just being an a**.

Reactions: Ainsy01

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
The Flames system last year was trainwreck for Save percentages, and it stopped all the easy shots but let through an extremely high proportion of high danger chances.

You've also listed Reimer (.890), Talbot (.898), and Nedelkjovic (.895) who had less than .900 SV% and Raanta and Stalock, who are 34 and 36 and not available.

Anyways, this is all a moot point as it looks like the Vladar deal is getting done and you're just being an a**.
Do you think San Jose's, Ottawa or Detroits system bolstered its goalie save percentages? And if that's your logic, maybe playing on a Colorado team that's a top defensive team in the league will boost these guys well above .900...

We could always just look at GSAA, a stat that is meant to eliminate some of the team system aspect from the equation... It paints an even worse picture for Vladar.

At the end of the day, You asked what NHL caliber goalies are worth less than $2.25M, I provided you with 6 names that are all way cheaper and with similar stats or better.

Its not being an ass, it's just showing you your comment was blatantly wrong.

Reactions: The Moops

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I mean it’s also possible that Calgary will be willing to retain some cap if they move Vladar, right?

It should be the only scenario where the Avs would trade for him. There's absolutely no reason to spend $2.25M on a backup for 2 more years when you can grab an equivalent backup on a 1 year deal for significantly cheaper.

If you get 33% to 50% retention, then it makes a little sense. Although personally having watches Vladar quite a bit last year I just don't think he's very good. Nothing to do with systems, he just tracks the puck pretty terribly IMO.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I'm not sure about the source, but if true maybe something around Francouz and Vladar? Only 200k difference in salary.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Pretty sure the flames have never retained salary before

It happened once. Flames retained on Rittich.

If the trade is Vladar for Francouz and a small +, then maybe I can start to see the reasoning for this. Avs add about $200K AAV vs Francouz's contract and has a good backup option for two seasons.

Francouz's injury and contract status are actually beneficial for the Flames in figuring out how to ease Wolf into the NHL.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
It happened once. Flames retained on Rittich.

If the trade is Vladar for Francouz and a small +, then maybe I can start to see the reasoning for this. Avs add about $200K AAV vs Francouz's contract and has a good backup option for two seasons.

Francouz's injury and contract status are actually beneficial for the Flames in figuring out how to ease Wolf into the NHL.
Looks like we're on the same page there Figgy

Reactions: Fig

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Looks like we're on the same page there Figgy

It would also address the $212K overage concern you were saying the Flames might have at the start of the season.

This trade still might not go through, but at least it's starting to get apparent why there is so much smoke around the idea.

Reactions: Lunatik

PhysicalGraffiti

Bolts STM
Jul 26, 2007
NY to TB
I'm seeing a report the Halak deal is done and will be announced:

"Avs insider Adrian Dater also reported that the Avs had been eyeing Halak as an option, while Czech based reporter Tomas Prokop confirmed the news. Expect an official announcement from the Avs on Halak's signing in the next few days."

From HockeyFeed.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
There will be any number of backup goalies available on waivers for under the cap-buriable amount.

There is no reason to acquire a bad goalie making $2.2M.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Both seem to be from questionable sources. There's a possibility that the Avs go with someone completely different.
If Dater is actually teh source he's suspect, but way more reliable than the nobody talking about the trade.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
If Dater is actually teh source he's suspect, but way more reliable than the nobody talking about the trade.
What that poster quoted says that Dater claims the Avs are looking into Halak. It doesn't specifically say that Dater confirmed that the Avs will sign Halak. I don't have an issue with that part of the quote.

It's the "Expect an official announcement from the Avs on Halak's signing in the next few days." is a separate sentence and part of the typical Hockey Feed click bait questionable facet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad