Proposal: Avs-Ducks

How's the trade?

• Total voters

DiglettDangles

Feb 15, 2020
Montreal
If I have any advice for Anaheim, from experience, it's to avoid going through a rebuild with an elite goalie.
Not only will you fail to properly fail, but you'll also destroy his trade value.

I love how Anaheim drafts and their prospect pool has some interesting players, so the rebuild won't be as long as Detroit's - there might be value to keep a young Gibson.

With that said, Gibson is probably top 5 in goalie value (stats, contract, age) so he shouldn't be dealt for scraps like listed here.
I would think Anaheim wouldn't pull the trigger for anything less than an A-level skater prospect (which to me includes Byram/Newhook), Grubauer, and depending on how much they like the prospect, an additional B-level prospect or a mid round pick.
Also, wasn't Colorado excited about Annunen?

I just don't think this makes any sense anyways but I had to bite at the ridiculous OP and I hate myself for it.

Reactions: ColoradoCanes

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
If I have any advice for Anaheim, from experience, it's to avoid going through a rebuild with an elite goalie.
Not only will you fail to properly fail, but you'll also destroy his trade value.

I love how Anaheim drafts and their prospect pool has some interesting players, so the rebuild won't be as long as Detroit's - there might be value to keep a young Gibson.

With that said, Gibson is probably top 5 in goalie value (stats, contract, age) so he shouldn't be dealt for scraps like listed here.
I would think Anaheim wouldn't pull the trigger for anything less than an A-level skater prospect (which to me includes Byram/Newhook), Grubauer, and depending on how much they like the prospect, an additional B-level prospect or a mid round pick.
Also, wasn't Colorado excited about Annunen?

I just don't think this makes any sense anyways but I had to bite at the ridiculous OP and I hate myself for it.

Hypothetically, the Ducks could trade Gibson for a and tank for a couple years. By that time Dostal will be ready.

But, the Ducks can't actually tank. The market won't support a true tank job. And since we are doing a rebuild on the fly, trading an elite goalie is the last thing they should be doing. The only way this happens is if the Ducks truly feel Dostal is ready for a starting job, which I really doubt.

DiglettDangles

Feb 15, 2020
Montreal
Hypothetically, the Ducks could trade Gibson for a and tank for a couple years. By that time Dostal will be ready.

But, the Ducks can't actually tank. The market won't support a true tank job. And since we are doing a rebuild on the fly, trading an elite goalie is the last thing they should be doing. The only way this happens is if the Ducks truly feel Dostal is ready for a starting job, which I really doubt.

Fair enough, I think we agree. If you're going for a quick rebuild, keep him.

Reactions: Getz2noone

RockyMtnRedhawk

Feb 25, 2014
Denver
This is somehow worse than the OP

The value may still be off, but it's not worse than the OP. I broke it down as two trades:

Byram/Grubauer/3rd for Gibson

1st/Jost for Rakell

Avs may need to add a B prospect and/or upgrade the 3rd to a 2nd, but I think the value is close. I'm probably undervaluing Rakell a bit.

That said, I really don't think the Avs are in the market for a goalie. They have an average starter and well above average backup, and both are signed for a combined $5.3M next season. They also have two solid goalie prospects in Annunen and Werner. I think the Avs are happy with their goalie situation and don't want to tie up a large portion of their cap with a goalie.

Last edited:

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
The value may still be off, but it's not worse than the OP. I broke it down as two trades:

1st/Jost for Rakell

Avs may need to add a B prospect and/or upgrade the 3rd to a 2nd, but I think the value is close. I'm probably undervaluing Rakell a bit.

That said, I really don't think the Avs are in the market for a goalie. They have an average starter and well above average backup, and both are signed for a combined $5.3M next season. They also have two solid goalie prospects in Annunen and Werner. I think the Avs are happy with their goalie situation and don't want to tie up a large portion of their cap with a goalie.
that's a pretty garbage offer for Rakell though. Jost is useless and holds zero value to us and the 1st is a late to mid 1st. Ducks are far better off keeping Rakell for that offer.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

1st/Jost for Rakell

Rakell is going to get a mint package for Anaheim. The cap is going down and he’s on a sweetheart deal.

The Gibson deal is okay depending on how you feel about Gru.

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
Rakell is going to get a mint package for Anaheim. The cap is going down and he’s on a sweetheart deal.

Agree. With the current cap situation the value of this type of bargain contract just skyrocketed.

Sidenote: I don't envy teams that are going to have to try to drop some of their high dollar/lower value contracts... its probably going to be hard to find buyers.

<also LOL @ the 2 people who voted for Ducks need to add value>

Last edited:

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012

Yep the cap situation will really improve rakells value... i hope we sell on him at draft

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019

1st/Jost for Rakell

Sign me up for the second trade. Though, I do think the Ducks will get more value than that for Rakell.

I’d pass on the first trade. I think Byram along with a Grubauer/Francouz tandem brings more value to the Avs than Gibson.

The goaltending position is so volatile that I wouldn’t feel comfortable parting with Byram to pick one up, even if it’s an excellent tender like Gibson.

Last edited:
Reactions: steepdrop

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
@OP

This does not benefit the Ducks. We get much worse pieces and some picks. I don`t see a situation where Bob Murray is intrigued and rightfully so.
Gibson is a star level goalie and the return would be at least someone with that or potential of that.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee

1st/Jost for Rakell

I think the second one is really bad value.
The first one is fair, but I think the Ducks would want overpayment to trade what is their current franchise player.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
that's a pretty garbage offer for Rakell though. Jost is useless and holds zero value to us and the 1st is a late to mid 1st. Ducks are far better off keeping Rakell for that offer.
Instead of Jost + 1st, would Ducks accept 1st + Timmins for Rakell?

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
Instead of Jost + 1st, would Ducks accept 1st + Timmins for Rakell?

I like Timmins, but I still think they could get more, especially with how valuable his cap hit will be with the reduced/stagnant cap.

Edit: I know his cap isn't nearly as valuable to COL as it is to other teams.

Is Timmins blocked or something?

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
I still think they could get more, especially with how valuable his cap hit will be with the reduced/stagnant cap.

I think the acquisition of Rakell would be precisely with the cap in mind, perhaps due to having made a big UFA splash like signing Pietrangelo. Here is what the Colorado roster would look like in that context.

As such, the cap would be just as valuable to Colorado as to other teams. But yeah, in a vacuum Colorado probably wouldn't value Rakell's low cap hit quite as highly as the likes of Tampa, Toronto, etc.

Whatever the case, I'm surprised that you wouldn't accept that offer. Looking at Anaheim's roster a young RHD with top 4 (or even top pairing) potential seems like a big need, and it's unlikely that you'd get a better offer than that.

Though I think Timmins + 1st is a generous offer, for the sake of argument, would an additional B prospect or mid-round pick would get it done for you?

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I think the acquisition of Rakell would be precisely with the cap in mind, perhaps due to having made a big UFA splash like signing Pietrangelo. Here is what the Colorado roster would look like in that context.

As such, the cap would be just as valuable to Colorado as to other teams. But yeah, in a vacuum Colorado probably wouldn't value Rakell's low cap hit quite as highly as the likes of Tampa, Toronto, etc.

Whatever the case, I'm surprised that you wouldn't accept that offer. Looking at Anaheim's roster a young RHD with top 4 (or even top pairing) potential seems like a big need, and it's unlikely that you'd get a better offer than that.

Though I think Timmins + 1st is a generous offer, for the sake of argument, would an additional B prospect or mid-round pick would get it done for you?
I would do a 1st + timmins personally.

Or 1st + bowers/kaut + helleson... im guessing slight add from anahiem

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I like Timmins, but I still think they could get more, especially with how valuable his cap hit will be with the reduced/stagnant cap.

He missed a year due to injury last year... pretty sure avs were taking it easy with him... he def woulda been in nhl this year if he didnt miss that year.

I think the mins in Ahl were better for his development than less mins @ nhl.

Could argue we should have done same with some of our forward prospecta

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee

I mean, this is just me here lol.

I don't know Timmins as well as some other players but he does seem fit the exact need for the Ducks. He is not the thing that I think should be better. I doubt we get a better defensive prospect/NHL ready defensemen. I would just like the 1st to be higher.
For example, I think the 1st+Broberg offer in another thread is more valuable then this. IDK maybe not.

On second thought I probably would take this, but I would be happier if there was a sweetener since the 1st is so late.

Reactions: Richard88

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
I mean, this is just me here lol.

I don't know Timmins as well as some other players but he does seem fit the exact need for the Ducks. He is not the thing that I think should be better. I doubt we get a better defensive prospect/NHL ready defensemen. I would just like the 1st to be higher.
For example, I think the 1st+Broberg offer in another thread is more valuable then this. IDK maybe not.

On second thought I probably would take this, but I would be happier if there was a sweetener since the 1st is so late.
I mean I don't think you could actually get a 1st and Broberg from Edmonton. He was Holland's first pick and a top 10 pick to boot and you want another 1st? Holland almost guaranteed won't move him (even if he should).

The only reason you "got" that offer is because that particular Oil fan really really doesn't like Broberg. He is still very salty the Oilers let Zegras fall to you, which is understandable. I know for a fact that 95% of hfOilers would not take kindly to that offer on their board.

Broberg is a higher caliber prospect than Timmins, but he isn't on the table. (I think he should be though, Oilers are set on LHD)

Last edited:

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
I mean I don't think you could actually get a 1st and Broberg from Edmonton. He was Holland's first pick and a top 10 pick to boot and you want another 1st? Holland almost guaranteed won't move him (even if he should).

The only reason you "got" that offer is because that particular Oil fan really really doesn't like Broberg. He is still very salty the Oilers let Zegras fall to you, which is understandable. I know for a fact that 99% of hfOilers would not take kindly to that offer on their board.

Broberg is a higher caliber prospect than Timmins, but he isn't on the table. (I think he should be though, Oilers are set on LHD)

That’s fine if that’s the case because the Ducks are desperate for a RHD with Fowler and Lindholm being LHD.

There are also other things to take into account there. Like doing the trade in the division.

Reactions: ColoradoCanes

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad