Proposal: Avs-Ducks

How's the trade?

• Total voters

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
I don’t think people understand the value a high end #1 / franchise goalie have to their team. These guys simply don’t get traded because there are just so few of them that replacing them is next to impossible.

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
I don’t think people understand the value a high end #1 / franchise goalie have to their team. These guys simply don’t get traded because there are just so few of them that replacing them is next to impossible.
Those would be a good trade to make for teams that badly needs a #1 goalie that's not the Avs. We have two very capable goalies that as good as Gibson is it would hurt to give up Byram for an upgrade in the net when our top 4 could be set for years. If Graves has a fluke year and isn't suited for a top 4 role we would be screwed when we would only have Cole or Zadorov as a replacement. I speak for myself but I would much rather have our top 4 : Byram-Makar and Girard-Timmins than upgrade for a goalie when this isn't a problem for us also Frankie has looked freaking amazing since getting signed :nod:

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Gibson is an excellent Goalie, but would rather keep the prospects. Franc/Grub were in the Top 5 GA for most of the season. Annunen is still a few seasons away and should be ready when these players decline. There is also the EX Draft which should add some possibilities at little cost.

Reactions: Richard88

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario

Especially with the reasonable contract in place, Gibson isn't going anywhere barring some absurd offer - and the Avs don't need to do that.

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
yes please from the Avs. Im in an anything that brings back Gibson....except MacKinnon, Rantanen, Makar, or Byram. Anything else, go for it.

I understand Ducks fans saying no, but they also need to do something or risk wasting prime Gibson years. If they are really rebuilding, commit to it and that means cashing in on Gibson, Getzlaf, and Rackell building the prospect pool.

Reactions: Patagonia

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
yes please from the Avs. Im in an anything that brings back Gibson....except MacKinnon, Rantanen, Makar, or Byram. Anything else, go for it.

I understand Ducks fans saying no, but they also need to do something or risk wasting prime Gibson years. If they are really rebuilding, commit to it and that means cashing in on Gibson, Getzlaf, and Rackell building the prospect pool.

Anything.....except our most valuable pieces :laugh:

I get not wanting to move one of those guys, but there is no way the Ducks move Gibson unless a serious franchise piece is involved. Because that's what he is.

Reactions: Sam Steel

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017

I agree, the team is rebuilding and wasting his best years getting bombarded with pucks every game. A trade will only accelerate the rebuild. There is no positive in keeping him.
  • Plays well. Draft position is impacted slowing the rebuild;
  • Plays poorly. Drops his trade value;
  • Trade now. Highest return package adds to a deeper farm.
ANA should absolutely consider proposals from other teams if they want to be competitive within the next few years.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
I agree, the team is rebuilding and wasting his best years getting bombarded with pucks every game. A trade will only accelerate the rebuild. There is no positive in keeping him.
ANA should absolutely consider proposals from other teams if they want to be competitive within the next few years.

That's fine to have that opinion, but the offer would have to actually be great. The OP is not.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario

A rebuild doesn't require years of complete futility and multiple first overall picks. The Ducks are a bottom five team with Gibson, I don't understand why anyone thinks they should aspire to be any worse. They already have a deep and strong prospect pool that will be even better with the addition of two more 1sts this year and very likely another very early 1st next year.

What the Ducks need to rebuild around is elite talent. Guys like Gibson and Lindholm are the best the team has ever drafted at their positions - folks here on HF often severely overrate the likelihood of ever replacing their talent no matter how many picks and prospects we stack up. At their age and talent level those are foundational pieces. Moving them likely gets you no more than some prospects you can only hope are as good, and a few extra balls in the lottery - but also miles further away from the actual goal of putting a competitive team on the ice again.

Should also add that the complete futility/hope to be saved by the lottery route is especially inadvisable for a team trying to keep and grow it's slice of a saturated and non traditional hockey market.

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015

Gibson is 26 and most good goalies tend to stay good well into their 30's. So unless ANA plans on sucking for the next 7 or 8 years trading the franchise goalie is a bad plan.

That's compounded by the fact that they do not have a replacement in the pipeline... so 'wanting to be competitive in the next few years' only happens if they still have the goalie

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Here's a crazy idea...

How about Gibson ($6.4m) to Tampa for Vasilevsky ($9.5m) + picks/prospects ?

Tampa would have a top goalie but save $3.1m annually, which is a huge difference for them. I'm sure they were counting big time on the cap rising considerably when they signed Vasilevsky to that contract, which doesn't look so good right about now ahead of at least one flat-cap season.

Anaheim get a goalie who is 1 year younger, and signed 1 year longer (until 2028). Along with a decent haul of futures for whatever they deem $3.1m in capspace to be worth to Tampa.

The point here is that Anaheim aren't getting much use/value out of Gibson's low caphit for the next few years, while Vasilevsky crushes Tampa's cap. Swapping places makes sense in that regard, as Tampa gets the guy with the great caphit, and Anaheim get the guy with the higher hit while they don't really need to worry about capspace.

Note that Vasilevsky's and Gibson's NMC's only start in 2021-22 (according to capfriendly), so they can be traded anytime before June 2021.

Reactions: Patagonia

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
Gibson is 26 and most good goalies tend to stay good well into their 30's. So unless ANA plans on sucking for the next 7 or 8 years trading the franchise goalie is a bad plan.

That's compounded by the fact that they do not have a replacement in the pipeline... so 'wanting to be competitive in the next few years' only happens if they still have the goalie

hUK2_o3p.jpg

Makar Goes Fast

grocery stick
Aug 17, 2012
downtown poundtown
only reason the ducks would trade him would be to load up for the future, grubauer would not be wanted. they would want Timmins, first, Annunen (if they believed he is the real deal) plus something that would be large.

from my perspective colorado seems to be fine in G that they shouldnt be trading those types of pieces for Gibson, in 2 years if colorado's G crumbles in the playoffs then maybe.

Also i dont see anahiem wanting to do this as even if they rebuild Gibson can easily still be the guy when they come out if they rebuild right.

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
Dostal doesnt get much love league wide... but hes lookin like a potential future starter

Decent amount of potential there, but the competition he's seen to date isn't really representative of NHL level either.

Juniors / LIIGA to the NHL is a pretty big jump to make in terms of skill level he's facing

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

:laugh: nice try, but we know you aren't talking about John Gibson here. And Price not getting traded has nothing to do with the player he was 5 years ago.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee

Lukas Dostal just won the best goaltender award in Liiga at age 19. BUT, he is 19 and I wouldn't bet on him being able to be an NHL starter for a few years.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
:laugh: nice try, but we know you aren't talking about John Gibson here. And Price not getting traded has nothing to do with the player he was 5 years ago.

Yes you’re right and Price not getting traded has everything to do with the fact that he’s a franchise player

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Here's a crazy idea...

How about Gibson ($6.4m) to Tampa for Vasilevsky ($9.5m) + picks/prospects ?

Tampa would have a top goalie but save $3.1m annually, which is a huge difference for them. I'm sure they were counting big time on the cap rising considerably when they signed Vasilevsky to that contract, which doesn't look so good right about now ahead of at least one flat-cap season.

Anaheim get a goalie who is 1 year younger, and signed 1 year longer (until 2028). Along with a decent haul of futures for whatever they deem $3.1m in capspace to be worth to Tampa.

The point here is that Anaheim aren't getting much use/value out of Gibson's low caphit for the next few years, while Vasilevsky crushes Tampa's cap. Swapping places makes sense in that regard, as Tampa gets the guy with the great caphit, and Anaheim get the guy with the higher hit while they don't really need to worry about capspace.

Note that Vasilevsky's and Gibson's NMC's only start in 2021-22 (according to capfriendly), so they can be traded anytime before June 2021.
The Ducks aren't there to help out other team's cap problems. Tampa ends up on the better side on this deal both immediately and in the future. Once the Ducks are competitive again, we're basically going to be in the same position as Tampa cap issue wise but with an older and possibly worse goalie.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
The Ducks aren't there to help out other team's cap problems. Tampa ends up on the better side on this deal both immediately and in the future. Once the Ducks are competitive again, we're basically going to be in the same position as Tampa cap issue wise but with an older and possibly worse goalie.
Depends what assets Ducks receive...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad