Confirmed with Link: Avs acquire S. Girard, S. Bowers, V. Kamenev, A. Hammond, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd for M. Duchene

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
I already think he is a legit top 4 defenseman. He is an offensive dman who's learning a more defensive role right now and doing quite well. He's only 19 and probably the AVS defenseman with the lowest ratio of mistake per minute played.

I think he'll end up considerably better than Fiala and Fabbro.

His size is the only thing that concerns me. Not so much height wise, but weight wise. Hopefully he can bulk up over the next few seasons while also keeping his skating and finesse.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
At the time of the trade I was kind of disappointed we didn't get Chabot or Fiala, or even Fabbro, but Girard looks like he could be the real deal.

I would've loved Chabot or Fiala; but I've been in the Girard > Fabbro camp since Duchene's game went to s*** last winter. Nothing against Fabbro, but I just see more of a middle pairing dman there than a potential 2/3...and with how much I love Meloche I wanted us to go for more upside or a LHD.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
There was a story about when Tampa wanted Purcell from Los Angeles. They knew Lombardi wouldn't trade the guy they asked for because that's how he worked. So they asked for someone they didn't want and Lombardi said no. Then Tampa asked if LA had someone else they could trade and Purcell came up.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I already think he is a legit top 4 defenseman. He is an offensive dman who's learning a more defensive role right now and doing quite well. He's only 19 and probably the AVS defenseman with the lowest ratio of mistake per minute played.

I think he'll end up considerably better than Fiala and Fabbro.

I've been on the Girard > Fabbro train for a minute, but I dunno about Fiala. That kid is electric and I spent way too long day-dreaming about him playing with MacK n Mikko to agree with you there. Girard could surpass him, but I'm not confident in that happening at all, much less by a margin wide enough to call considerable.

Last edited:

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
At the time of the trade I was kind of disappointed we didn't get Chabot or Fiala, or even Fabbro, but Girard looks like he could be the real deal.
I tried to tell you guys how good Girard was. I haven't seen enough of Fabbro yet to make that comparison but I knew Girard was a stud.

As far as Fiala goes, the reason we were in the market for another center was to play with Fiala and Smith, so trading Fiala would make no sense.

I was actually disappointed we got Turris and not Duchene even though I wasn't a big Duchene guy.

Now, I'm glad we got Turris. It has balanced all of our lines.

Since the trade
Forsberg being back with Johansen and Arvidsson has 14 points in 13 games, Johansen 10 points in 11 games and Arvidsson 10 points in 13 games.

Turris has 12 points in 13 games
Fiala has 11 points in 13 games
Smith has 12 points in 13 games.

Turris has fit like a glove so far.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
sens fan here. duchene has 2 points in 12 games he was never this bad for you guys was he?

He has stretches like this. However I really do think this is more of a full wide team thing than just a Duchene issue.

But Duchene is as streaky as they come. I’ll bet at some point this year he’ll go on 20 pts in 12-13 game run for you guys. It’s just who he is.

Reactions: cgf and McMetal

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I know that it looks like Duchene is the cause of this freefall, but really, unless he's putting roofies in their water bottles there is no way that he could be responsible for EK and Anderson both forgetting how to play hockey.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Duchene needs to get a big streak going because he is currently on pace for 38 points.

I wonder how much last season and this season are going to cost him when it comes to signing a new contract. Back to back terrible seasons is a bigger buyer beware.

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
Duchene used to be a game-breaker, but I'd consider him more of a game manager now. Good on the PP, decent defensively, but the offensive output isn't going to get back to his old form.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
sens fan here. duchene has 2 points in 12 games he was never this bad for you guys was he?

He has always had some bad stretches within a season, and he was really terrible last season... this bad isn't normal for him, but it isn't completely unheard of.

Iceberg

May 4, 2002

Duchene is streaky, you can't count on him. Yes, he has the potential to be a point per game player, but he is not reliable, you never know what you are going to get from him from game to game, season to season.

I feel sorry for the Senators, not sure what Dorion was thinking.

Arkantoss

Mar 2, 2016
Duchene is streaky, you can't count on him. Yes, he has the potential to be a point per game player, but he is not reliable, you never know what you are going to get from him from game to game, season to season.

I feel sorry for the Senators, not sure what Dorion was thinking.

Sakic is a god

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

As others have said there were droughts for sure.

Here's the thing--Duchene will not work with just any ol' linemates. He needs a particular type of winger in order to succeed. He had that success early on this season with Alex Kerfoot, a playmaker, and Nail Yakupov, who is a surprisingly decent playmaker in his own right. IMO in terms of style he's a smaller, speedier (and not quite as good) Mats Sundin. A center who plays a lot like a wing. That's why it's a real tragedy that Clarke MacArthur will likely never play again--I bet those two would be tearing it up right now if he were in the lineup.

Overall I think the Sens just aren't a very well-built team. Duchene is a good player but he isn't the upper-echelon type of talent who can just take over games. They gotta plug more holes before they'll see what he can truly do.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Overall I think the Sens just aren't a very well-built team. Duchene is a good player but he isn't the upper-echelon type of talent who can just take over games. They gotta plug more holes before they'll see what he can truly do.

I don’t think this is true. Duchene can definitely take over a game, it’s just that he isn’t very consistent at bringing that level of play.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I don’t think this is true. Duchene can definitely take over a game, it’s just that he isn’t very consistent at bringing that level of play.

Believe me I'm as big a Dutchy fan as there is on these boards, but I'm not as sunny on his upper level anymore. I do agree with some others that wear and tear over the years has taken its toll. I certainly hope he can reach that level--that's precisely what Ottawa is counting on--but I just don't see it, certainly not under the circumstances he's playing under at present.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Believe me I'm as big a Dutchy fan as there is on these boards, but I'm not as sunny on his upper level anymore. I do agree with some others that wear and tear over the years has taken its toll. I certainly hope he can reach that level--that's precisely what Ottawa is counting on--but I just don't see it, certainly not under the circumstances he's playing under at present.

I mean that’s probably fair. But I just can’t see him not taking over at least one game this year as a Sen, even at his current level surely there’s something left in the tank.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I mean that’s probably fair. But I just can’t see him not taking over at least one game this year as a Sen, even at his current level surely there’s something left in the tank.
He has done that. Just couldn't find the back of the net or get any luck on his side. Games 3-6 with the Sens, maybe even a little longer he was unbelievable. Reminded me of October 2014. Duchene was far and away our best player. He was dominant every shift but couldn't find the back of the net. He was playing with Iginla and ROR who were absolutely terrible (Probably the only bad month of hockey O'Reilly has ever had) and eventually it got to his head, Duchene convinced himself he sucked and he wasn't heard from again for most of the season :laugh:

AvsMakar08

Feb 14, 2017
New York
He has done that. Just couldn't find the back of the net or get any luck on his side. Games 3-6 with the Sens, maybe even a little longer he was unbelievable. Reminded me of October 2014. Duchene was far and away our best player. He was dominant every shift but couldn't find the back of the net. He was playing with Iginla and ROR who were absolutely terrible (Probably the only bad month of hockey O'Reilly has ever had) and eventually it got to his head, Duchene convinced himself he sucked and he wasn't heard from again for most of the season :laugh:

Maybe Duchene convinced other Sens players that they are also not as good and many are just not performing to their expectations now. Last season they were very close to winning SC, I can't think that loosing a few players like Turris and the old Neil would make the team that it is now.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Maybe Duchene convinced other Sens players that they are also not as good and many are just not performing to their expectations now. Last season they were very close to winning SC, I can't think that loosing a few players like Turris and the old Neil would make the team that it is now.

Turris is up there with Stepan and Skinner as one of the most underrated players in the league. Maybe after this trade people will start seeing how good Turris really is...

Reactions: klozge

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011

Problem is that their underlying numbers were really bad even last year when they almost beat the Pens..

And as we know from an experience these numbers have a way of catching up to you sooner or later.

Also it does not help that Anderson, Ryan and Phaneuf are not exactly in their primes anylonger. The two latter ones have been out of it for quite some time now..

Boucher is also known for his second season collapses once players tune him out.
So yeah. The Duchene trade certainly did not help but IMO for now it isn't close to Ottawas biggest problem.

I think they will turn it around at some point soon but I am not sure they will be able to creep back into the playoff picture. Especially if Karlsson keeps playing like ass...

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I wasn't sad to see Matty leave when it happened and it's always nice to think your club got a great deal in a trade but man...I feel sorry for him at this point. He's never been the type to really grab the bull by the horns when there was pressure and now that pressure has got to be crushing him. His play at the first week or two with Ottawa was just fine even without the points but gosh he's been back to terrible Matty and the Ottawa fans are really turning on him especially with Turris being lights out in Nashville and the fact that Turris was seen (even moreso now) as one of the leaders on that Ottawa team. Matty will never replace that.

Turris is certainly underrated, Skinner too - he's a dynamo, imagine if he had a real center...but Stepan, hench? He's awful this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad