GDT: Avalanche vs Stars 4/7/24 @ 8:00PM MNT (Emergency GDT) We need the points. Just win!

How many goals will Georgiev let in tonight?

• 4giev

Votes: 7 13.0%
  • 4giev? more like 5giev

Votes: 10 18.5%
  • it's obviously 6eorgiev from here on out.

Votes: 18 33.3%
  • God help us it's more than 6eorgiev.

Votes: 19 35.2%

• Total voters

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
I doubt Bednar is confident in Georgiev right now, but he's not going to blast him to the media either because he knows that's not going to help the issue. I'm sure there have been plenty of conversations that we don't get to see.

The entire team needs to be better even if Georgiev isn't helping matters. The only guys who showed up tonight were Duhaime, Lehk and Drouin. That's not good enough plain and simple. Do I want George to stop a damn puck? You're damn right, but the guys in front of him are making it real easy to get those high danger chances.

katfude

Sep 25, 2015
You can't unf*** the systems chicken at this stage of the season.

But you can bench your dogshit goaltender.

AvsMakar08

Feb 14, 2017
New York
Just re-watched the goals:

1st goal was a HORRIBLE read by Josh Manson and an even worse overplay by Georgiev. What is Duchene going to do? Cut backhand as Manson is diving? Why was he so adamant on taking that away?

2nd goal was an unlucky break but another blown coverage down low. We've got two guys covering one Dallas player and Jamie Benn is standing alone in front for 3 seconds before redirecting it in.

3rd goal was an utterly brutal read by Devon Toews. Duhaime has Pavelski wide, why do you care if Pavelski has him slightly beat? Pavelski isn't bull rushing to the net there and if he does, you're there to protect it. Instead he overly commits and leaves Hintz wide open in front.

4th goal was disgusting by Georgiev. A shot that goes right at him and goes right through him. Just like the 4th goal last game, this was insanely deflating.

5th goal was a fantastic play by Marchment, but a horrible sequence by Girard. IDGAF if you don't like Jack Johnson, he doesn't get pushed around like Girard did on that play by Marchment. Sam Girard should never, ever see a second of PK time. He got bodied, allowed Marchment to get to the net and, lo and behold, Marchment scores.

6th goal was another master class on defending by Sam Girard. The faceoff is lost, EVERY Avalanche player has his man except for Girard who looks like a chicken with his head cut off. To make matters worse, he is POINTING at Mittelstadt to challenge the Stars puck carrier when Mittelstadt is staying with his centerman he just took the draw against. So Mittelstadt realizes Girard isn't going and starts to try getting to the Stars forward who passes it over, but can't get there in time. The shot goes through Georgiev and lands on the other side of an open net. Who scores the goal? Wyatt Johnston. Who was Casey Mittelstadt covering before Girard pointed for him to go elsewhere? Wyatt Johnston. Who did Sam Girard lose a race to the loose puck to? Wyatt Johnston.

What a shitty performance by the Avalanche defensively tonight. I have said it before and I will repeat it until he proves otherwise: Sam Girard will be this team's crutch (along with Georgiev) in the playoffs.
I bet the Avs trade Girard to re-sign Drouin.

JustPenalties

Jan 17, 2024

1st goal was a HORRIBLE read by Josh Manson and an even worse overplay by Georgiev. What is Duchene going to do? Cut backhand as Manson is diving? Why was he so adamant on taking that away?

2nd goal was an unlucky break but another blown coverage down low. We've got two guys covering one Dallas player and Jamie Benn is standing alone in front for 3 seconds before redirecting it in.

3rd goal was an utterly brutal read by Devon Toews. Duhaime has Pavelski wide, why do you care if Pavelski has him slightly beat? Pavelski isn't bull rushing to the net there and if he does, you're there to protect it. Instead he overly commits and leaves Hintz wide open in front.

4th goal was disgusting by Georgiev. A shot that goes right at him and goes right through him. Just like the 4th goal last game, this was insanely deflating.

5th goal was a fantastic play by Marchment, but a horrible sequence by Girard. IDGAF if you don't like Jack Johnson, he doesn't get pushed around like Girard did on that play by Marchment. Sam Girard should never, ever see a second of PK time. He got bodied, allowed Marchment to get to the net and, lo and behold, Marchment scores.

6th goal was another master class on defending by Sam Girard. The faceoff is lost, EVERY Avalanche player has his man except for Girard who looks like a chicken with his head cut off. To make matters worse, he is POINTING at Mittelstadt to challenge the Stars puck carrier when Mittelstadt is staying with his centerman he just took the draw against. So Mittelstadt realizes Girard isn't going and starts to try getting to the Stars forward who passes it over, but can't get there in time. The shot goes through Georgiev and lands on the other side of an open net. Who scores the goal? Wyatt Johnston. Who was Casey Mittelstadt covering before Girard pointed for him to go elsewhere? Wyatt Johnston. Who did Sam Girard lose a race to the loose puck to? Wyatt Johnston.

What a shitty performance by the Avalanche defensively tonight. I have said it before and I will repeat it until he proves otherwise: Sam Girard will be this team's crutch (along with Georgiev) in the playoffs.
If Annunen would allow 12 goals in 2 games you wouldnt be doing that, you would be raging "send him back to ahl" :D Just saying..

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I doubt Bednar is confident in Georgiev right now, but he's not going to blast him to the media either because he knows that's not going to help the issue. I'm sure there have been plenty of conversations that we don't get to see.

The entire team needs to be better even if Georgiev isn't helping matters. The only guys who showed up tonight were Duhaime, Lehk and Drouin. That's not good enough plain and simple. Do I want George to stop a damn puck? You're damn right, but the guys in front of him are making it real easy to get those high danger chances.
The team seems uninspired playing in front of him.

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
IMO Winnipeg will be harder. They are big and them cycling the puck plus their net presence against Girard, Walker and JJ damn good luck with that. We will need any version other than 2023-2024 Makar back.
Winnipeg has been playing .500 hockey since the beginning of March. They just lost 6 straight before their recent 3 game win streak. They've got some nice players for sure, but outside of Connor no one really strikes fear into me. Of course Hellebuyck can steal a game or 2 but so can Saros. We outclass them at every position. Their D in particular isn't a strength.

They have to catch us first. Nashville plays the same high-paced game and keep up with us. Winnipeg has some big bodies but so do we and we can skate circles around them.

NorthernAvsFan

Jun 25, 2014
I’d be f***ing scared if he thought that Georgiev is the main problem with this team. I’m glad that he sees plenty of other issues that are fixable.

Both things can exist at the same time.

Obviously they’re done in the 1st round if they play like they have the last 4/5 games. And if Georgiev starts in the playoffs, they’re likely done too.

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016
So ,to sum this all up:

- We finally lost the Central and a shot at the WC. Congrats to Dallas, they deserve to win the Division and WC.

- We are in grave danger to lose home-ice in round 1 too if we keep playing dumb hockey at our back-end. If your goalie is struggling you better get your shit together on the D.

- The injury-bug has bitten again at the worst possible time. Lets hope all men are on board for Round 1.

- We have a goalie controversy at our hand... at the worst possible time.

- And on top: MacKinnon can sing goodbye to the Hart or Ross after the season he had...

Well.....

After the TDL and how the team played in that time we are crushing back to earth at the moment....

Maybe they dont give a shit until the playoffs like in 2022...... But this is not the team of 2022 either...

Only 4 games left.. And one of them will be a warm-up for the playoffs that could decide home-ice....

At this point i just want this team to be and get healthy...

Reactions: katfude

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
If your goalie is struggling you better get your shit together on the D.
This is the bottom line. Everyone knows that Georgiev is struggling (including Georgiev himself) yet the team comes out and plays careless hockey time after time.

I said this before, but Avs have to realize that they don’t have Roy in net. They don’t have a 8 or 10 mill goalie. They can’t continually play like shit and expect Georgiev ( a 3 mill goalie ) to bail them out.

When we had Kuemper in cup year, he wasn’t lights out good or anything, but the team played much better in front of him than they are in front of Georgiev this year.

Just try playing a better defensive game and maybe Georgiev’s game will improve. They have to in the playoffs

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
I mean the expected goals against tonight is literally 5.52 and Georgiev allowed 6

Is it good? No, it's not.

But the f***ing issue is 5.52 XGA and when we spend all our energy looking at Georgiev we miss the elephant in the room which is our lack of good defensive play.

We can survive bad goaltending, as seen in 2022, but we can't survive bad defense.

Truth.

drhiii

Beat Navy.
Apr 25, 2014
At this point, I have to believe that the only reason Bednar is saying what he's saying is to try and not absolutely destroy George's remaining confidence.

Bednar can't be this f***ing dense. It's so painfully obvious that George is a major factor in costing us games and simply isn't a good goalie. Stats are right in front of him, there's no way he doesn't see them.
Agree with your summation on Beds re: george.

Bednar presser (length 5:22) nuggets -

On George: "He was good... I thought he had a good night."

On the game; "We were competitive"

On the team; "I didn't hate our team game overall.. it's got to be better."

On George; "... but I liked what Georgie did tonight..."

On the game; "... on the defending breakdowns... we did some dumb stuff today..."

It has to sear Bed's brain to piss his dignity into a dixie cup in front of the media while feeling the need to caudal the #1 tender.

Bed's face was beet red. He touched his face a lot.

Last edited:

Spirits

Avalanche and Vikings
Jul 12, 2014
It´s too bad frail Cale is a thing. Could be a legendary career if he managed to stay healthy.
He just needs to play well in his own zone. At this point, Secondary Assist Magnet Quinn Hughes is convincing Hfboards he is a better player.

Reactions: davpower

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
Really starting to feel like another first round exit is coming. If the Avs lose home ice against the Jets it's pretty much a guarantee.

I don't want to see anyone talk about how this defense is top 5 in the league anymore this offseason. They're outright bad at this point. I don't know wtf happened.

Last edited:

CaptainUgly

27 Time World Champions
Apr 22, 2018
Winnipeg has been playing .500 hockey since the beginning of March. They just lost 6 straight before their recent 3 game win streak. They've got some nice players for sure, but outside of Connor no one really strikes fear into me. Of course Hellebuyck can steal a game or 2 but so can Saros. We outclass them at every position. Their D in particular isn't a strength.

They have to catch us first. Nashville plays the same high-paced game and keep up with us. Winnipeg has some big bodies but so do we and we can skate circles around them.
Last week of the season will be a good benchmark for where the Jets are with games against Nashville, Dallas, Colorado, and Vancouver.

Kyle Connor scares you? Team worst -9 hmmmm and defense is a strength not weakness....Jets are good at keeping the puck out of the net...scoring is their problem. Aren't they 2-0 vs Colorado this year?

Reactions: roccerfeller

Hesher

Sagan for President
Jan 22, 2013
Slovakia

You can also add a secondary assist to Girard on the first goal. It was his bad pass that started the whole sequence.

6eorgiev wasn't great, but the Avs as a whole were a total disaster defensively.

Reactions: niwotsblessing

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
Avs lay a massive egg in an important game in what should have been a bounce back game against a team on a b2b.

They have to get back to playing focused responsible defensive hockey.

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016
6eorgiev wasn't great, but the Avs as a whole were a total disaster defensively.

True. Our whole D was nuts yesterday....

But thats what you get when your starter is totally out of shape and the D knowing that every single mistake will very well end up in net.....

A classic downward spirale.....

Take that and the fact the Makar seems not to be by himself, which affects Toews... And when your No. 1 pair is not capable of holding the fort, you are in trouble when your 2nd pair is Manson and Girard. Wasting Walker on the 3rd pair isnt a great idea either.

This D is a moving D that jumpts into attack whenever they can. They are not supposed to shield their goalie all game long.

Talking about Kuemper: Yeah, he was no Patrick Roy, but he made those saves when needed ans wasnt unreliable. I mean, Franky stole the show, but Kuemper gave us just enough to win that damn thing.

Kuemper and Franky were way above our current tandem. Thats a fact and the world we are living in. We had the chance to grab another Goalie at the TDL and Cmac decided not to do it.

I really fear this decision could be our brackbreaker this year if Georgiev doesnt get his shit together.....

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Agree with your summation on Beds re: george.

Bednar presser (length 5:22) nuggets -

On George: "He was good... I thought he had a good night."

On the game; "We were competitive"

On the team; "I didn't hate our team game overall.. it's got to be better."

On George; "... but I liked what Georgie did tonight..."

On the game; "... on the defending breakdowns... we did some dumb stuff today..."

It has to sear Bed's brain to piss his dignity into a dixie cup in front of the media while feeling the need to caudal the #1 tender.

Bed's face was beet red. He touched his face a lot.
Clearly Bednar isn't a throw them under the bus type.

But usually he's a straight shooter, which his answers lately don't read straight shooter. I agree that his body language reads pissed off, even his morning presser read pissed off.

Honestly I just get the feeling he doesn't know what to do and is a deer in headlights. GM loaded up at the deadline, expectations are high and his team is playing utter garbage disjointed lazy hockey, none of the lines are gelling, the defense is all over the place, and to top it all off his starter couldn't save a beach ball.

At the end of the day there is only so much the coaches can do, and I'm guessing they've exhausted all those resources. At end of the day someone other than 29 needs to show up. It's not fair to expect 29 to flat carry every game and expect 2+ points every night from him. Where's the new depth, where's Cale, where is Rants, where is the team defensive structure, and most importantly where is goalie who's sole job is stop the puck which he isn't remotely doing often enough.

The coaches can't make these things work. The system hasn't suddenly changed. These guys know what is needed to win hockey games in the system and they simply not putting in the effort necessary to make it happen right now. You can't coach effort.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad