GDT: Avalanche vs Stars 4/7/24 @ 8:00PM MNT (Emergency GDT) We need the points. Just win!

How many goals will Georgiev let in tonight?

• 4giev

Votes: 7 13.0%
  • 4giev? more like 5giev

Votes: 10 18.5%
  • it's obviously 6eorgiev from here on out.

Votes: 18 33.3%
  • God help us it's more than 6eorgiev.

Votes: 19 35.2%

• Total voters

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
If the forwards start helping the defense like they should it will help Makar, Girard, Walker and Georgiev
Makar's problems ain't just defence, he looks slow in his decision-making, slow to loose pucks, slow in covering his man, stops being a catalyst with the puck, keeps giving MacKinnon the puck so he doesn't take it, and seems behind the play...even when he has the puck.

I am not saying he lost talent, but mentally, he doesn't seem up to the level that he was pre-All-Star break. Not sure if it is mental fatigue, too many minutes, or the doldrums of the season, but something is off.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I think it's a chicken and the egg thing going on with the D/G

Is the D playing like garbage because they're overcompensating and panicking because of 6eorgiev?

Or is 4giev being a sieve because the D is playing so poorly in front of him?
On individual games you might have this argument where the Avs defense is just bad. Overall though, the Avs defensive numbers are really not much worse than the Cup team. The might have moved from say ~5th to ~8th in the league (and they won't touch the clearly top numbers of the first post pandemic season), but this team is overall clearly still a top 10 defensive team that is getting bottom 5 goaltending. The problem is in net far more so than the defense.

Makar's problems ain't just defence, he looks slow in his decision-making, slow to loose pucks, slow in covering his man, stops being a catalyst with the puck, keeps giving MacKinnon the puck so he doesn't take it, and seems behind the play...even when he has the puck.

I am not saying he lost talent, but mentally, he doesn't seem up to the level that he was pre-All-Star break. Not sure if it is mental fatigue, too many minutes, or the doldrums of the season, but something is off.
IMO Makar's mobility having issues is causing him to not quite have the space and time as he is used to with the puck and not able to close in situations where he has in the past. He's still an absurd skater, but that half step off of everything is making things much more difficult for him. Weird to say, but hopefully there is an injury and this is correctable more than him just losing that half step.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Probably 34 pages of bashing Georgiev here right? Again, this is not a defence post because I never really care(d) about defending him, but in the first three goals last night, not a single defenceman in front to help take away rebounds or a loose stick. Those will lose playoff games regardless of whether it is Annunen, Angeryiev, Roy, Kuemper, or Grubauer.
Part of the problem is his rebound control is so damn poor. I don't recall a goalie recently being so bad at containing pucks with his glove. He can't trap a damn thing lately and many times it is going off his wrist and bouncing into the slot. In a very large contrast, where Mitts had a great chance against Otter in the slot, when it hit Otter in the wrist... Otter deflected it down to his pants where he could just smother the puck and it looked like a simple hit the crest of the jersey shot. Where George is bouncing that puck 10' back into the slot.

Reactions: GeoRox89

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
You say that as if the main problem is the forwards.

Go watch the goals Dallas scored. It was the defensemen playing like idiots all night. Girard and Toews specifically.
Yes, we've seen this movie before. Same leading actors.

Part of the problem is his rebound control is so damn poor. I don't recall a goalie recently being so bad at containing pucks with his glove. He can't trap a damn thing lately and many times it is going off his wrist and bouncing into the slot. In a very large contrast, where Mitts had a great chance against Otter in the slot, when it hit Otter in the wrist... Otter deflected it down to his pants where he could just smother the puck and it looked like a simple hit the crest of the jersey shot. Where George is bouncing that puck 10' back into the slot.
An eye sight and puck tracking issue....?

When playoffs start, you can throw away all the regular season numbers which includes the head to head match ups, road and home records etc.. it’s a whole new season. One thing I know for sure is that the Avs have to play much better defensively and Georgiev needs to play much better in net for this team to go far in the playoffs.

We have a good overall record, but a lot of the wins this year have been coming from behind. The defensive game has been bad all year and it needs to change in the playoffs. Constantly falling behind and trying to come back isn’t gonna work in postseason
Plus your opponent elevates his game as well......

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Noticed that all year. Even when he is making the save he's punting the rebound right back into the slot.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Yes, we've seen this movie before. Same leading actors.

An eye sight and puck tracking issue....?
I think it is a technique issue. George's glove is always a few inches further forward than most goalies. He's a quick reflex goalie, so the theory would be that it takes up more space and leaves less room while relying on his reflexes to cover. The problem is, when he's off, the pucks don't die... they get shot out and it leads to scrambles.

I don't think this is a specifically taught thing as both Annunen and Prosvetov play it further back (so was JoJo's). Frank had it forward too though... but his rebound control was so bad he'd shoot it beyond the slot. :laugh:

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
The one element that is a bummer tho is effort. Watching a full 15 minute game, where effort is periodic, where one or two might dial up high energy spurts, and this becomes a fleeting moment rule instead of the exception. Collectively the low level effort definitely become infectious... agonizing to watch. Not a good product being fielded atm.

So as you said... exhausted all those resources -- yep. What we are likely seeing now is having reached that point of needing to let nature run its course??

Not saying this would fix it but man, do they miss Landy, EJ, etc.. or what..
They miss Nuke. The real thermonuclear Nuke. He's been missing since the last LBI. Heck, the last intervention.

The exception being a rare game here or there.

W/O a fully functioning, devastating Nichuskin, there is no victory.

Reactions: niwotsblessing

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Noticed that all year. Even when he is making the save he's punting the rebound right back into the slot.
Even off his legs it happens... it is like he is twitching and shooting the puck out with a save. Probably just too active overall.

They miss Nuke. The real thermonuclear Nuke. He's been missing since the last LBI. Heck, the last intervention.

The exception being a rare game here or there.

W/O a fully functioning, devastating Nichuskin, there is no victory.
Time to re-up the booger sugar.

NorthernAvsFan

Jun 25, 2014
I think Bednar is intrigued by Georgiev’s potential, because he can be very good. His athleticism is top tier. So, he’s determined to hang in there with him.

I find it a bit funny the double standard he has with the two goalies. He babies Georgiev and after the Minni game he said he didn’t like one of the goals Annunen gave up on a night where he stopped 44 of 46 shots. Georgiev is routinely shit and gets praised for being ‘great’ in this game.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Not disagreeing, but Annunen's catching glove could honestly be worse lol.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Not from our recent viewing of him. Looks calm, collected and catches puck through traffic.
In the last game he played, there were around 5 plays I recalled where Annunen tried to catch it and it bounced out of his glove or he was one second delayed. What helps with Annunen and rebounds is that his mass is just huge so second opportunities hit him more often than not instead of Georgiev who is always scrambling and has open holes all over the place. The biggest difference between Angeryiev of last season and this season is he's scrambling a lot more/too aggressive and to me, that is a sign of a lack of IQ (not necessarily smarts for the game, but confidence) and getting away from the structured game I described before.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Not disagreeing, but Annunen's catching glove could honestly be worse lol.
I feel like when it happens with Annunen, the puck is falling within a range where he can grab it quickly. Like the Otter example where it was missed but brought in... Annunen is missing it, but it falls less than a foot from him so he can quickly reach down and kill the play. Where George is bouncing 2-3 feet away and right into harm's way with 2nd chances.

I do think Annunen has a lot to clean up though and once NHL teams start working on exposing his weaknesses, those things will start having to be cleaned up to keep him from being exposed heavily. Still right now, I think he's clearly playing better than George, but with a much lower ceiling.

Reactions: S E P H

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I don't see a noticeable difference in Cale's skating, even in tight spaces, and most of his issues don't come while he's under pressure, so I don't see how skating is the cause there.

Most of his issues are just mental errors. Turnovers or defensive coverage mistakes.

This game for example, he got caught puck watching on the PK, and just let Hintz skate to the front of the net all alone and score the third goal. Skating didn't play a role here.

Pain from an injury may be the root of the problem, but it's not lack of mobility.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I don't see a noticeable difference in Cale's skating, even in tight spaces, and most of his issues don't come while he's under pressure, so I don't see how skating is the cause there.

Most of his issues are just mental errors. Turnovers or defensive coverage mistakes.

This game for example, he got caught puck watching on the PK, and just let Hintz skate to the front of the net all alone and score the third goal. Skating didn't play a role here.

Pain from an injury may be the root of the problem, but it's not lack of mobility.
That goal wasn't on Cale that was on Toews

Reactions: cinchronicity

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
That goal wasn't on Cale that was on Toews

Toews has made his share of mistakes this year, but I think that one's more on Cale.

Devon has to be ready to switch off with Duhaime, who can't follow his man below the goal line on the PK, and when he does that, Cale needs to take the man driving the net.

Yeah it would have been nice if Toews blocked the pass, but look at Cale here. He's out of position covering nobody. That's not a tight PK box. Val has Benn at the point. Duhaime should be able to circle back up toward the other point.

Cale is useless here. There's no forward on the left halfwall and he shouldn't be planning on stepping up on Benn at the point. The other D man is on the right side out of screen.

Dallas-PK-Goal.png

Reactions: Avs9296

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Toews has made his share of mistakes this year, but I think that one's more on Cale.

Devon has to be ready to switch off with Duhaime, who can't follow his man below the goal line on the PK, and when he does that, Cale needs to take the man driving the net.

Yeah it would have been nice if Toews blocked the pass, but look at Cale here. He's out of position covering nobody. That's not a tight PK box. Val has Benn at the point. Duhaime should be able to circle back up toward the other point.

Cale is useless here. There's no forward on the left halfwall and he shouldn't be planning on stepping up on Benn at the point. The other D man is on the right side out of screen.

Dallas-PK-Goal.png
I don't disagree on Makar being useless right then and there, but Duhaime absolutely can follow Pavelski down low. If Pavelski kicks it back, Val challenges the strong side point while Duhaime recovers back to the slot/weak side point.

There was zero reason for Toews to leave a flying Hintz who skated right past him only to do nothing to Pavelski. Pavelski is no threat there yet Toews treated him as a major one and left the front of the net wide open.

NorthernAvsFan

Jun 25, 2014
There is definitely something a miss with Makar’s skating. It’s interesting… because it’s almost unnoticeable at times. Especially when he’s already built up steam.

Short area pushing off isn’t right though. The explosiveness is not where it usually is at.

It is what it is at this point. He’s still a hell of a player, even with the limitations. He’s getting by more with his mind this season.

Reactions: The Abusement Park

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I don't disagree on Makar being useless right then and there, but Duhaime absolutely can follow Pavelski down low. If Pavelski kicks it back, Val challenges the strong side point while Duhaime recovers back to the slot/weak side point.

There was zero reason for Toews to leave a flying Hintz who skated right past him only to do nothing to Pavelski. Pavelski is no threat there yet Toews treated him as a major one and left the front of the net wide open.

I see it differently because they're on the PK. 5v5 Duhaime can follow Pavelski down low, but the forward shouldn't really go below the circle on the PK, because he's got to keep the box tight, and be ready to challenge the point.

There's two guys behind Duhaime that he needs to worry about too. The forward creeping down to the half wall and there's another D man behind him at the point.

If Duhaime goes too far down low, those guys are wide open.

Val should only be challenging the strong side point in an emergency breakdown situation, because it leaves the other point wide open, and Cale to block a shot from 20-30 feet away where it could break something.

And if Val does challenge the strong side, while Duhaime goes down low, either the forward on the halfwall can sneak into the slot or circle and be wide open for a great chance, or if Val takes that guy, the point man can slide into the middle or the slot for a one timer that no one is in position to block.

Best way to prevent all of those dangerous chances, is to do what they did, but Cale keeping a tighter box so he's closer to Hintz.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad